Moving a computer

Omie

So I'm going to be building my PC today and I have to build it downstairs because that is where I have the most room and can work comfortably.

My case is an Enthoo Luxe so I don't think it has any handles or anything when moving it.

I'm going to be needing to move it all the upstairs and I was wondering if there is any danger in doing that? It has an H115i AIO in it too.

Also, does anyone know roughly how much the PC will weigh? Here is the build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qDrVLD

It'll be fine. Just note the above.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

There are a few things you have to worry about.

I didn't look at your specs so... yeah...

Do you have a massive CPU cooler? If so then you have to be very careful moving the machine. A jolt could put too much pressure on the motherboard and do bad things.

Same goes for heavy graphics cards. Honestly if you're worried about it, don't install either till you get it roughly where it needs to go. 

Roughly around 30-40 lbs. And no, there's no danger in moving it -- just don't go shaking it around violently. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

There are a few things you have to worry about.

I didn't look at your specs so... yeah...

Do you have a massive CPU cooler? If so then you have to be very careful moving the machine. A jolt could put too much pressure on the motherboard and do bad things.

Same goes for heavy graphics cards. Honestly if you're worried about it, don't install either till you get it roughly where it needs to go. 

He says he has a AIO

1 minute ago, Unexas. said:

He says he has a AIO

You are correct good sir. ;) I missed that.

The advice still applies for heavy graphics cards though.

And even that can be mediated by making sure you screw the GPU down where it's supposed to go.

What Unexas. says. Computers aren't so fragile that carrying them will hurt anything so long as everything is properly secured inside. Just don't drop it on the way up and it'll be fine.

It'll be fine.

For comfort I would leave the gpu out and put it in once the pc is in its final spot. Not that it would really extra damage if it took a drop, but its easy enough to install and would give peace of mind

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

Don't attempt to follow this video.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

i got my pc from friends who live down the road. they just walked down to my house with the pc under their arm with everything in it. So that is proof that it won't damage anything. (pc was 8 years old when moving it, so pretty old crappy stuff in there)

~i5-7600k @5GHz ~Be Quiet! Dark rock 3 ~MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G ~Gigabyte GA-Z270-gaming K3 ~Corsair Vengeance Red led ~NZXT S340 Elite

This gets moved every once in a while by car (LAN parties xD).
MDWm61Im.jpg
Don't worry, you're completely safe if you don't drop it.

If you are really paranoid. After you build the PC, put it in the box the case was shipped in with the packing material and then move it upstairs.

You still won't want to drop it, though.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

pay two moving man to help you carry it upstairs, if they brake it made them pay for it win win for you.

The only option is to switch your house around completely. Have the downstairs as your bedroom, bathroom etc.

For the love of all that is holy and Neil Degrasse Tyson DO NOT MOVE IT!

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Keep the price of you build in mind while carrying it, then you'll hold onto it like a phone while standing on the top of a building and taking a picture with your arms outstretched over the edge to take a picture. :D