PHYSX dieing or growing?

Shadow_Storm56

Simple question is physx a system that we should expect more or less support for in the future. i know currently it is limited support but in my experience works very well.... so how is it heading? phased out or more games supporting it? 

edit: considering how powerful alot of the cpus are maybe it is being considered unnessacary 

Time of death for PHYSX was December 13th at 5:42PM EST, 2014. 

The service was beautiful, even AMD cried. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Time of death for PHYSX was December 13th at 5:42PM EST, 2014. 

The service was beautiful, even AMD cried. 

lol is that a joke or was that a point of actully stoping physx support? 

It's pretty dead. PhysX could only be used on nvidia gpus, so programms that use PhysX could not be runned on an AMD GPU.

Both. I actually got bored and used my second 980ti as a PHYSX card, just for giggles. I actually lost a few fps, even though it was working. 

1 minute ago, FTL said:

It's pretty dead. PhysX could only be used on nvidia gpus, so programms that use PhysX could not be runned on an AMD GPU.

thats not quite true, it just disabled certain effects of a game not the entire game. I do see how it really is not needed although i do like the conecept 

Just now, App4that said:

Both. I actually got bored and used my second 980ti as a PHYSX card, just for giggles. I actually lost a few fps, even though it was working. 

it seems that cpu is actually faster than a dedicated physx card by a few %

Just now, Shadow_Storm56 said:

thats not quite true, it just disabled certain effects of a game not the entire game. I do see how it really is not needed although i do like the conecept 

The concept is still around. But you just don't need a PhysX supported GPU to run it.

Game engines can basically do particle effects and such like what the PhysX effects engine can do, and probably better. So it'll probably still be a thing since game engines will still use it as it's core physics engine sometimes as opposed to Havok or something.

Just now, FTL said:

Depends on which PhysX it is specifically. Some game engines use PhysX as it's core physics engine then you can't simply turn it off - this part of PhysX is also essentially hardware agnostic.

I think the question is if a PHYSX card is dead, not the effects. 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

FFXV uses PhysX. Which is funny considering the game runs only on AMD hardware at the moment.

So it's not really dead. It just has a niche use.

Yea i just wonder if it''s worth keeping a card around for or if it's a waste of space and power 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

I think the question is if a PHYSX card is dead, not the effects. 

well obviously as times go on the game physics will become much better thats for sure 

12 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Yea i just wonder if it''s worth keeping a card around for or if it's a waste of space and power 

from my experience playing around with the second 980ti, it's a waste. 

45 minutes ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Simple question is physx a system that we should expect more or less support for in the future. i know currently it is limited support but in my experience works very well.... so how is it heading? phased out or more games supporting it? 

edit: considering how powerful alot of the cpus are maybe it is being considered unnessacary 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_hardware-accelerated_PhysX_support

The last game with PhysX support to be released was last September, which is actually longer ago than I expected. I don't think PhysX is dead or necessarily even dying, but it does seem less common today than it was at its peak. I wouldn't recommend making any purchase decisions around PhysX today, not that I ever would have.

I agree, I think there are better physics solutions available today. PhysX is vendor-specific, enormously inefficient if framerate costs are anything to go by, and in my personal opinion doesn't look or respond that well anyway. Battlefield 1 has a proprietary solution that is at least a moderate improvement in all of those. Hell, Half-Life 2 in 2004 had a physics system that was efficient, responsive, and reliable enough to base gameplay mechanics around it.