HELP! RE: Noob PC Setup 2017

SPECS:

(Philippines)

Core i3 3220 3.3GHz (Socket 1155 LGA)

MSI Mobo H16M-(G3) (MS-7788)

******Geforce GTX 750ti 2GB DDR5 128Bit (Upgraded from a 9500GT NVIDIA 1GB 128Bit)

******Generec PSU (Not true rated) - WORKING FINE, but sometimes I get random seldom crashes in GTA V. 

8GB RAM DDR3

500GB HD

WITH GENERIC MONITOR @60Hz 1366x768 resolution

Youtube brought me here, thanks Linus. I've been a subscriber but  it's just now that I know about your forum site.

Hi, probably this has been your setup almost 10years ago as updated PC Master Racers. Well, now in my case since I just decided to upgrade recently this rig of mine. My concerns are:

-Is this setup prone to bottle necking? (I bought the GPU 2months ago)

-I badly need a TRUE-RATED power supply, right?

-I play games such as NBA 2K17, GTA V but mostly DOTA 2. I can maintain a decent amount of frames per second with DotA 2, unfortunately not during TEAM FIGHTS/ CLASHING. My fps drops to its lowest around 35-38fps with High Settings (Shadow Quality is sometimes even set to off)

-Practically, I can not afford to upgrade most of these components but is it logical/ right for me to have a TRUE-RATED PSU first? Would it make my gaming experience a little better? To have better clashing experience/  team fights in Dota 2? 

-To those who will answer, please feel free to write anything on this thread. Thank you so much.

2 minutes ago, John Leonard said:

SPECS:

Core i3 3220 3.3GHz (Socket 1155 LGA)

MSI Mobo H16M-(G3) (MS-7788)

******Geforce GTX 750ti 2GB DDR5 128Bit (Upgraded from a 9500GT NVIDIA 1GB 128Bit)

******Generec PSU (Not true rated)

8GB RAM DDR3

500GB HD

WITH GENERIC MONITOR @60Hz 1366x768 resolution

Youtube brought me here, thanks Linus. I've been a subscriber but  it's just now that I know about your forum site.

Hi, probably this has been your setup almost 10years ago as updated PC Master Racers. Well, now in my case since I just decided to upgrade recently this rig of mine. My concerns are:

-Is this setup prone to bottle necking? (I bought the GPU 2months ago)

-I badly need a TRUE-RATED power supply, right?

-I play games such as NBA 2K17, GTA V but mostly DOTA 2. I can maintain a decent amount of frames per second with DotA 2, unfortunately not during TEAM FIGHTS/ CLASHING. My fps drops to its lowest around 35-38fps with High Settings (Shadow Quality is sometimes even set to off)

-Practically, I can not afford to upgrade most of these components but is it logical/ right for me to have a TRUE-RATED PSU first? Would it make my gaming experience a little better? To have better clashing experience/  team fights in Dota 2? 

-To those who will answer, please feel free to write anything on this thread. Thank you so much.

What is your budget?

Hello, Unexas. Actually, I really don't have plans to purchase a new CPU right now. So my budget sticks with a TRUE-RATED PSU, if and only if it is logical and would really improve my gaming experience given the specs above.

3 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

What is your budget?

Hello, Unexas. Actually, I really don't have plans to purchase a new CPU right now. So my budget sticks with a TRUE-RATED PSU, if and only if it is logical and would really improve my gaming experience given the specs above.

if it works your PSU should be fine. I see no need to upgrade this

CPU Intel Core i5 4670, 3.4GHz Motherboard ASRock Z97 Pro4 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB, 1833Hz GPU AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB OC Case BeQuiet Silent Base 800 Storage Seagate ST2000DX001 SSDH  PSU BeQuiet PurePower L8, 400W Display(s) Samsung 2 x 22" Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Operating System Windows 10

Upgrading the power supply would only improve your gaming experience in that, you may have fewer crashes due to power fluctuations, and have a computer which is less prone to spiking.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

1 minute ago, cyanit said:

if it works your PSU should be fine. I see no need to upgrade this

Hello, Sir Cyanit. I used MSI afterburner and observed the CPU and GPU's performance usage. GPU reaches up to 96% while the CPU stays only with around 50-60% which causes I think the FPS drop? I'm eyeing that the problem could be with the GENERIC PSU? Here in my country, we have generic PSU's that doesn't really give what's on its label, re: wattage. Just want to make sure though

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

Upgrading the power supply would only improve your gaming experience in that, you may have less crashes due to power fluctuations, and have a computer which is less prone to spiking.

If it turns on, fine. 

Go on ebay and buy a 2500k or a 3570k for anywhere from 100-140 bucks if you can. (your post doesn't say where you're from)

These will greatly improve performance and both of those chips overclock well. I would know.

Your 750ti should be able to push higher frame rates in dota.

Also: If you can... Upgrade your ram to 16gb. That'll keep the bottlenecking off too.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

upgrading PSU will grant you more preformance but i wouldent use a shit PSU, check if its made by Delta or Superflower before swapping though because if it is then there is no reason to swap, those things are amazing quality. i would recomend getting a better GPU as long as the PSU isnt trash, an RX 470 would be a good option and if you want a better CPU you can get I5s that fit your motherboard for not too much money

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, JR8 said:

If it turns on, fine. 

Go on ebay and buy a 2500k or a 3570k for anywhere from 100-140 bucks if you can. (your post doesn't say where you're from)

These will greatly improve performance and both of those chips overclock well. I would know.

Also: If you can... Upgrade your ram to 16gb. That'll keep the bottlenecking off too.

While true, it can also lead to serious issues for the OP if he upgrades his current rig as you mentioned and THEN the PSU becomes an issue due to the more demanding hardware. 

Just my 2p on the issue.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

3 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Upgrading the power supply would only improve your gaming experience in that, you may have fewer crashes due to power fluctuations, and have a computer which is less prone to spiking.

Hi, Sir. Am I getting this correctly? You saying that it would improve my gaming experience (which is basically my point given the budget that I have). Note that this PSU that I'm currently using is only GENERIC and doesn't really give what's on the label. Specially for some entry-level GPU, correct me if I'm wrong though.

2 minutes ago, JR8 said:

If it turns on, fine. 

RAM upgrade wont help, its a GPU bottleneck too seeing as his GPU usage is higher then CPU usage so getting a new GPU should be the first upgrade, also here is a list of PSUs that are all great: 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Kierax said:

While true, it can also lead to serious issues for the OP if he upgrades his current rig as you mentioned and THEN the PSU becomes an issue due to the more demanding hardware. 

Just my 2p on the issue.

Understood, but I gamed on a generic psu until it literally blew up, for more than 2 years. (Capacitors blew).

More than often, generic supplies are a lottery. Sometimes you get good ones, this may be the case. Also he isn't reporting any crashes or anything, so i'm just going based on the assumption that his PSU is ok.

Up to the OP on what he feels tho.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

5 minutes ago, John Leonard said:

Hello, Sir Cyanit. I used MSI afterburner and observed the CPU and GPU's performance usage. GPU reaches up to 96% while the CPU stays only with around 50-60% which causes I think the FPS drop? I'm eyeing that the problem could be with the GENERIC PSU? Here in my country, we have generic PSU's that doesn't really give what's on its label, re: wattage. Just want to make sure though

CPU Usage you don't have to worry about. GPU Usage is what should be hitting ~100% in a demanding title.

3 minutes ago, John Leonard said:

Hi, Sir. Am I getting this correctly? You saying that it would improve my gaming experience (which is basically my point given the budget that I have). Note that this PSU that I'm currently using is only GENERIC and doesn't really give what's on the label. Specially for some entry-level GPU, correct me if I'm wrong though.

The idea behind his statement is that it will barely improve, if not at all, and it's not likely you will notice a difference. If you're experiencing lots of crashes, however, then it will most definitely improve.

My friend didn't realize until today that his graphics card was worth $1000

-snip editor just went very weird for a moment-

Thread moved to New Builds & Planning

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

4 minutes ago, JR8 said:

If it turns on, fine. 

I'll take note of the specs, Sir. Thanks. Re: Bottlenecking, you think experiencing it, right? Would you agree it's due to my GENERIC PSU?

I've got 8GB of ram and for gaming its more than enough 

CPU Intel Core i5 4670, 3.4GHz Motherboard ASRock Z97 Pro4 RAM Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB, 1833Hz GPU AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB OC Case BeQuiet Silent Base 800 Storage Seagate ST2000DX001 SSDH  PSU BeQuiet PurePower L8, 400W Display(s) Samsung 2 x 22" Cooling BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 3 Operating System Windows 10

2 minutes ago, Caminon said:

CPU Usage you don't have to worry about. GPU Usage is what should be hitting ~100% in a demanding title.

The idea behind his statement is that it will barely improve, if not at all, and it's not likely you will notice a difference.

True, but as he then adds more demanding hardware, he can be happy knowing he has the headroom with the PSU unit should he upgrade it.

4 minutes ago, John Leonard said:

I'll take note of the specs, Sir. Thanks. Re: Bottlenecking, you think experiencing it, right? Would you agree it's due to my GENERIC PSU?

a PSU never bottlenecks anything. If you do not have enough power for your components the system would simply crash. 

However a cheap power supply can be rather dangerous;

I am feeling way grateful right now with your quick responses, thank you. To sum it up:

-I do not experience frequent crashes within games that I play. My main concern is that whenever I play dota 2, the FPS drow is almost 50% of the average which concerns me.

-With regards to COMPONENT upgrades, CPU, GPU...this isn't really the priority as of the moment

-BUT, if having a TRUE-RATED PSU will somewhat SOLVE my problem re:fps drop, I'm gonna have to buy one because it's cheaper than having a new CPU and hurts to avail newer GPU for this current one I have right now is only 2months old (yea, I'm not really prioritizing this much at this point in my life right now, the expensive setup :D)

-The only game that I experience crashing is GTA V and as far as I can remember it happened less than 5 times.

-This setup is running 4years this coming February 2017, haha only the PSU have been constantly changed but yea, it's only GENERIC. I'm just here to know if it would OPTIMIZE AND HAVE MY NEW 750Ti GPU REACH ITS potential IF EVER I buy and get a TRUE-RATED one.

13 minutes ago, Kierax said:

True, but as he then adds more demanding hardware, he can be happy knowing he has the headroom with the PSU unit should he upgrade it.

I tried using calculators online, but unfortunately i3 3220 is not in their drop-down list... which is sad haha. Makes me think this CPU is really out-dated 

Given you have an i3, decent amount of ram and a 750ti which is a solid enough card really for the games you play, and at the resolution, I would definitely look into a power supply which is true rated in order to possibly stop the crashing.

I've had a personal case with a client who had a AMD FX 8350 8GB Ram and a 750TI and some Chinese power supply, which worked great when in Windows but the moment he went on Fallout 4 he got 30minutes tops before his system would either crash solid requiring a hard reset, or would just plain turn off!.

Replaced his PSU with a Corsair 500watt unit which was on special offer, and BOOM issue solved.

2 minutes ago, Kierax said:

Given you have an i3, decent amount of ram and a 750ti which is a solid enough card really for the games you play, and at the resolution, I would definitely look into a power supply which is true rated in order to possibly stop the crashing.

I've had a personal case with a client who had a AMD FX 8350 8GB Ram and a 750TI and some Chinese power supply, which worked great when in Windows but the moment he went on Fallout 4 he got 30minutes tops before his system would either crash solid requiring a hard reset, or would just plain turn off!.

Replaced his PSU with a Corsair 500watt unit which was on special offer, and BOOM issue solved.

Noted, dear Sir. I'll post updates as soon as I can grab a new PSU (True-rated). Have a wonderful day, fellas. Peace :)