Normal Temps for R9 280X Dual Fans

Hi,

Any R9 280X users out there? I wanna know what your normal temperatures are when under load.

A friend of mine recently bought an R9 280X for about $100 which is nice IMO. It's an VTX3D R9 280X and he's getting about 80C+ under load.

I told him it doesn't seem healthy though and should be below 80C, since I consider anything north of 80C to be the Danger Zone.

I know the 7970s and 7950s were kinda hot, but 80C seems too much for a dual fan card.

Would replacing the thermal compound solve the problem?

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

He can try undervolting it, I dropped 100mV off mine and saw a 5-10C difference. Though the cooler on mine is considerably better (Asus DCU2).

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

For AMD cards espacially R9 2XX it's normal to reach 80°C, at 90+°C you can call it a danger zone. They can often get undervolted to reduce temps, since the default one is setted very conservative.

It is worth to reapply them with a good quality thermal paste (MX-4 for example for 5$ cheap but good) and getting appropriate aftermarket thermal pads as well (for 5-10$ Arctic has some good one, too. Thermal Grizzly is also good ... but more or less any new aftermarket one is better than the preapplied) Make sure to take the right size for the thermal pads if you replace them.

With new paste and a adjusted fan cruve maybe undervolt you should be under 75°C (not more than factory OC)

PS: had a r9 290(X, since I flashed later) 87°C max temperature after my OCs

That's fine and normal.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

23 hours ago, Pandalf said:

He can try undervolting it, I dropped 100mV off mine and saw a 5-10C difference. Though the cooler on mine is considerably better (Asus DCU2).

How much performance would you lose if you drop 100mV? 'coz the clocks would be turned down as well right?

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

23 hours ago, Narnash said:

- snip -

Isn't 90C already cooking temperatures? Also, would a B150M chipset allow undervolting or could software handle it?

Also, I'm not sure how to set frame targets for the AMD driver, had no experience with it, what I would like is if the card is reaching beyond 60FPS in some games it would downclock itself.

19 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's fine and normal.

Yeah but it's an old card and maybe could die out because of high temps, had a couple of friends which Radeons died out on them.

The other guys here said a fresh paste would reduce temps by about 5C. Any tips in regards with replacing thermal paste? Coz I might do it in the office since our houses are far from each other.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

23 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

How much performance would you lose if you drop 100mV? 'coz the clocks would be turned down as well right?

You won't lose any performance if you don't lower the clocks. I'm not sure if yours can be undervolted by that much, you'll have to try.

4 minutes ago, Pandalf said:

You won't lose any performance if you don't lower the clocks. I'm not sure if yours can be undervolted by that much, you'll have to try.

It's my friend's, do you undervolt in the bios or just adjust the % slider in some software?

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, YoloSwag said:

It's my friend's, do you undervolt in the bios or just adjust the % slider in some software?

He can do it through MSI Afterburner, but has to enable voltage control in the settings.

10 minutes ago, Pandalf said:

He can do it through MSI Afterburner, but has to enable voltage control in the settings.

Thanks for the info. Will suggest this and come back here if I have any more questions.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

I had an Asus r9 280x. Under load it hit mid 80s without a custom fan curve.thats perfectly normal. The danger area is 95+  for Hawaii cards. I used a custom fan curve and at 60% fan it never went over 80. Use after burner.  

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

20 hours ago, miagisan said:

I had an Asus r9 280x. Under load it hit mid 80s without a custom fan curve.thats perfectly normal. The danger area is 95+  for Hawaii cards. I used a custom fan curve and at 60% fan it never went over 80. Use after burner.  

Is it fine to have fans at 80%? Or is there like a danger of it dying early or something?

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

2 hours ago, YoloSwag said:

Is it fine to have fans at 80%? Or is there like a danger of it dying early or something?

It's fine. Might sound a little loud but the fans will be fine. Play with the fan curve to find your ideal temp/noise levels

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

5 hours ago, miagisan said:

It's fine. Might sound a little loud but the fans will be fine. Play with the fan curve to find your ideal temp/noise levels

Thanks. My friend doesn't care about the noise as long as he gets to play lol. He's more worried about the heat.

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler