Worth upgrading a GTX 970 for 1080p?

FuryX

I'm having trouble deciding if I should upgrade my GTX 970 to something equivalent to a R9 Fury, RX 480 or even a GTX 1060. I'd also be upgrading to the new 1151 socket from my 1150 CPU currently, only will cost $600 in total to do. Do you think it's worth it, or should I have the $600? I do only play in 1080p, but I plan to get a 144hz monitor sometime in the future. 

None of those are much of an upgrade from what you already have. 

If you're going to get a 144hz display, get that before upgrading your components.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

970 to a 480 or 1060 is a bit of a side grade.

jumping to a r9 fury will be a fairly large improvement 

i would get a 144hz monitor first. 

also why would want to go to skylake? haswell is still pretty good. plus i would wait for Ryzen 

1 minute ago, Technicolors said:

970 to a 480 or 1060 is a bit of a side grade.

jumping to a r9 fury will be a fairly large improvement 

i would get a 144hz monitor first. 

also why would want to go to skylake? haswell is still pretty good. plus i would wait for Ryzen 

It'll be the new Kaby lake CPU line up, I don't want to explain the whole situation but it's either I "upgrade" now for $600 to a i7 7700, R9 Fury and 16GB from my current i7 4790, GTX 970 and 24GB of RAM. I can't wait for Ryzen, it has to be bought within the next month.

8 minutes ago, FuryX said:

Snip

I would definitely recommend saving your cash. the performance gains for your investment would be pretty minimal. Save up more money for better hardware before pulling the trigger and/or wait for a new generation of hardware to spend this money on. Or consider spending your 600 bucks on JUST a GPU, because then you could get a bit of a performance jump. of course (but an irrelevant jump if you're gaming at 1080p 60hz), and it could depend on which 1150 CPU you have.... big difference between an i3 or i7 in that class.

if you game get a 6700k. there's lots of vids comparing all these processors together.

the fury would be an upgrade.

As great as the 1070 is, I couldn't justify upgrading my 970 in 2016. I still play even badly optimized games like Deus Ex Mankind Divided at 1080p60 fps high settings. Maybe if Mass Effect Andromeda or Ghost Recond Wildlands really need the extra power a 1070 could be justifiable in a few months, but otherwise you might as well wait for Vega and either Volta or Pascal Refresh. I wouldn't bother with the R9 Fury. It doesn't start really crushing the 970 until you get to 1440p. At 1080p it's like 16% faster than the 970 in the techpowerup testsuite.

14 minutes ago, FuryX said:

It'll be the new Kaby lake CPU line up, I don't want to explain the whole situation but it's either I "upgrade" now for $600 to a i7 7700, R9 Fury and 16GB from my current i7 4790, GTX 970 and 24GB of RAM. I can't wait for Ryzen, it has to be bought within the next month.

I'd skip the upgrade myself. It's mostly a sidegrade except for the gpu. And I wouldn't pay $600 for 16% more fps. You could just spend $380 today on a GTX 1070 and have a far better gaming system. Or buy a 1080p GSync TN panel. Or spend $700 and get a 1440p GSync 165 Hz  IPS panel like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116827

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I'd skip the upgrade myself. It's mostly a sidegrade except for the gpu. And I wouldn't pay $600 for 16% more fps. You could just spend $380 today on a GTX 1070 and have a far better gaming system. Or buy a 1080p GSync TN panel. Or spend $700 and get a 1440p GSync 165 Hz  IPS panel like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824116827

I forgot to mention, it's $600 AUD. For a GTX 1070 it costs roughly $550 AUD, that's a pretty low end one also.

7 minutes ago, FuryX said:

I forgot to mention, it's $600 AUD. For a GTX 1070 it costs roughly $550 AUD, that's a pretty low end one also.

Oh ok. That would still be a much better upgrade. A 1070 at reference clocks murders the R9 Fury and the i7-4790 is a very strong gaming cpu. An i7-7700 will give you a small IPC bump and a small 200 MHz or so bump to your clockspeed, which isn't going to mean a whole lot. 

How much do you think you could sell your i7-4790 + board + DDR3 RAM + GTX 970 for? If you can get it to where it's say a $200AUD upgrade to the Fury + i7-7700 + board  + DDR4 RAM then it's a lot more compelling.

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Oh ok. That would still be a much better upgrade. A 1070 at reference clocks murders the R9 Fury and the i7-4790 is a very strong gaming cpu. An i7-7700 will give you a small IPC bump and a small 200 MHz or so bump to your clockspeed, which isn't going to mean a lot. 

How much do you think you could sell your i7-4790 + board + DDR3 RAM + GTX 970 for? If you can get it to where it's say a $200AUD upgrade to the Fury + i7-7700 + board  + DDR4 RAM then it's a lot more compelling.

I'm unable to sell my current computer handing it down to someone, that's the reason why the upgrade is only $600 instead of the total $1,859 AUD price tag.

3 minutes ago, FuryX said:

I'm unable to sell my current computer handing it down to someone, that's the reason why the upgrade is only $600 instead of the total $1,859 AUD price tag.

Then the upgrade makes no sense whatsoever. Just keep your current system and wait for new gpus in the summer or buy a 1070 or a 144Hz monitor if the money is burning a hole in your pocket. Kaby Lake + R9 Fury would be such a minimal upgrade for $600AUD.

Not sure what games you play but supposedly the 970 is almost as good as mine and I play bf1 on ultra at 1080 and see over 80 frames. On 1440 with the high preset it's a pretty constant 60+ 

You pu should be happy with that unless you really want super high frames. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 hours ago, LabRat said:

the fury would be an upgrade.

Not at 1080p.

4 hours ago, FuryX said:

You're better off getting a 1080 if you need to get rid of $600.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

4 hours ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Then the upgrade makes no sense whatsoever. Just keep your current system and wait for new gpus in the summer or buy a 1070 or a 144Hz monitor if the money is burning a hole in your pocket. Kaby Lake + R9 Fury would be such a minimal upgrade for $600AUD.

Ok, I've found an alternative option with a Galax Nvidia GTX 1070 EX 8GB card. However in some parts I do downgrade from the Fury system. full specifications below, If you could let me know if this is worth an upgrade to, thanks! :D.

Total price - $1,926 AUD

CPU - Intel Xeon E3-1230v5 

GPU - Galax Geforce GTX 1070 EX 8GB ( Non overclocked one ) 

Motherboard - MSI Xeon E3 Krait Gaming V5 

RAM - 2x8 GeiL DDR4 SUPER LUCE WHITE LED ( 16GB Total ) 

OS Drive - 250 GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO

Storage drive - 1TB WD Blue * 7200RPM

Optical drive - Asus 24x Black SATA DVD OEM

CASE - NZXT Phantom 240 White

PSU - Corsair RM750X 750w 80+ Gold modular 

Network card - Asus PCE-n15 300mbps

Just as a comparison here's my current system specification.

CPU: Intel i7-4790
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC Nvidia GTX 970 ( 4 GB VRAM ) 
SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO
2nd HDD: 1TB Western Digital Blue ( 7200RPM ) 
Memory: 24 GB of DDR3 Zeppelin ( Clocked at 1600Mhz ) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97-Gaming 3 
Case: CASECOM MATRIX CS-13 
Power Supply: CASECOM 700W 80+Silver 

10 minutes ago, FuryX said:

Total price - $1,926 AUD

CPU - Intel Xeon E3-1230v5 

GPU - Galax Geforce GTX 1070 EX 8GB ( Non overclocked one ) 

CPU: Intel i7-4790
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce OC Nvidia GTX 970 ( 4 GB VRAM ) 

That's a very small upgrade for the cost. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E3-1230-v5-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790/m72554vs2293

Just getting a 1080 would be much cheaper and make a bigger difference. 

9 minutes ago, FuryX said:

Ok, I've found an alternative option with a Galax Nvidia GTX 1070 EX 8GB card. However in some parts I do downgrade from the Fury system. full specifications below, If you could let me know if this is worth an upgrade to, thanks! :D.

-snip-

So you're paying $600 for the above system, yes? And someone's buying yours? That's the gist of it, yes?

I would get a better case. Why did you go with a Xeon build? Is it actually cheaper than a 6700k?

I don't think it makes sense to spend that kind of money for that kind of upgrade, unless you're selling it to a friend.

We've all told you we don't think it's worth it, but you're not listening.

I mean in the end, it is your money. Do what you want. But don't keep asking for advice if you're not going to listen to it.

Or maybe fully explain it, so we actually have the full picture ;)

Welcome to the forum.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The only card that you mentioned that's worth the upgrade is the R9 Fury.

The other cards are better than the GTX 970 but too close in performance to be worth it.

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

29 minutes ago, dizmo said:

So you're paying $600 for the above system, yes? And someone's buying yours? That's the gist of it, yes?

I would get a better case. Why did you go with a Xeon build? Is it actually cheaper than a 6700k?

I don't think it makes sense to spend that kind of money for that kind of upgrade, unless you're selling it to a friend.

We've all told you we don't think it's worth it, but you're not listening.

I mean in the end, it is your money. Do what you want. But don't keep asking for advice if you're not going to listen to it.

Or maybe fully explain it, so we actually have the full picture ;)

Welcome to the forum.

For the Xeon it's $100 cheaper then a i7 6700 ( Non K edition ), that's including the price of the motherboard. Also what's the issues with the case, it seems to get a lot of praise for it's design and also fits the white build well. Technically I am "selling" it to a friend since they're giving me $1,300 towards the newer computer, also I posted again because "SteveGrabowski0" said the GTX 1070 murders a R9 Fury and I found one for only $100 more. 

I'm sorry, I am considering the advice just seeing if this new system is worth it compared to before since the GTX 1070 seems to be much better.

45 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

That's a very small upgrade for the cost. http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Xeon-E3-1230-v5-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790/m72554vs2293

Just getting a 1080 would be much cheaper and make a bigger difference. 

The Nvidia GTX 1080 is way out of the budget, even if I keep my PC. They cost almost $1,000 here in Australia, cheapest I've seen is $900.

9 minutes ago, FuryX said:

The Nvidia GTX 1080 is way out of the budget, even if I keep my PC. They cost almost $1,000 here in Australia, cheapest I've seen is $900.

Ah, the AUD went over my head. 

Well, if what you're getting is basically a low cost upgrade, then go ahead. 

That being said, there are plenty areas where the list can be improved.

The Phantom 240 isn't very up-to-date when it comes to features and lacks things as simple as adequate dust filters. I've worked with it in several occasions and it's alright at a low price and if you're into that aesthetic but there are otherwise better cases available.

What's with the dvd drive and wifi card? Is a wired connection not available?

It seems like you're giving off everything besides the storage--is that the case?

26 minutes ago, FuryX said:

"SteveGrabowski0" said the GTX 1070 murders a R9 Fury and I found one for only $100 more. 

I'm sorry, I am considering the advice just seeing if this new system is worth it compared to before since the GTX 1070 seems to be much better.

Many things 'murder' a Fury at 1080p when they would otherwise perform similarly or worse at higher resolutions. The Fury isn't a card meant for 1080p.

9 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Ah, the AUD went over my head. 

Well, if what you're getting is basically a low cost upgrade, then go ahead. 

That being said, there are plenty areas where the list can be improved.

The Phantom 240 isn't very up-to-date when it comes to features and lacks things as simple as adequate dust filters. I've worked with it in several occasions and it's alright at a low price and if you're into that aesthetic but there are otherwise better cases available.

What's with the dvd drive and wifi card? Is a wired connection not available?

It seems like you're giving off everything besides the storage--is that the case?

Many things 'murder' a Fury at 1080p when they would otherwise perform similarly or worse at higher resolutions. The Fury isn't a card meant for 1080p.

Yeah, looked up another video review of the Phantom 240 and saw that. It may be an issue, I'll try to look around for another case if I'm going with buying the new PC route. As for the DVD drive and WiFi card, it's a necessary that I have a DVD drive as I have many games on disc that're not redeemed on Steam or any else program. WiFi card is for hosting servers for my friends, I do and will have Ethernet but I tried before to set up a server with disabling my WiFi card and they weren't able to join. ( They only can be on WiFi, not enough Ethernet ports. ) I have mention the storage for both systems in a previous post, sorry if that's not what you meant. Currently I only have a 1080p monitor and do not plan to play at higher resolutions, I might grab a 144Hz monitor later on though.

for $239 after rebate and the added performance ( not necessarily  too many extra frames at 1080p ) ( wish you guys would stop citing frame rates as the sole asset in regards to performance  ) ( I paid $279 for a HD6950 ) ( and I do own the 970.... and it has it's problems here and there at 1920x1200............whereas the fury doesn't. and as mentioned, next monitor upgrade will probably be at higher resolutions than the "norm" now. ( 1080p ) which is fast becoming an also ran. nice to already have "that" card.

just giving my opinion here.

11 hours ago, FuryX said:

Yeah, looked up another video review of the Phantom 240 and saw that. It may be an issue, I'll try to look around for another case if I'm going with buying the new PC route. As for the DVD drive and WiFi card, it's a necessary that I have a DVD drive as I have many games on disc that're not redeemed on Steam or any else program. WiFi card is for hosting servers for my friends, I do and will have Ethernet but I tried before to set up a server with disabling my WiFi card and they weren't able to join. ( They only can be on WiFi, not enough Ethernet ports. ) I have mention the storage for both systems in a previous post, sorry if that's not what you meant. Currently I only have a 1080p monitor and do not plan to play at higher resolutions, I might grab a 144Hz monitor later on though.

What does needing wifi card have anything to do with hosting a server? It seems like you're misattributing the reason for server issues to it.

Why not go beyond 1080p? What's the point of upgrading besides having a better gaming experience?

Where are you shopping? It's hard to find out better alternatives when your prices aren't listed. 

Moved to New Builds and Planning.

17 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

What does needing wifi card have anything to do with hosting a server? It seems like you're misattributing the reason for server issues to it.

Why not go beyond 1080p? What's the point of upgrading besides having a better gaming experience?

Where are you shopping? It's hard to find out better alternatives when your prices aren't listed. 

Moved to New Builds and Planning.

Maybe I hosted the servers wrong, I don't know. But it's only $20 for the card anyway, also makes it more easy if I move houses and I have no ethernet port nearby. I don't feel the need really to play on anything higher then 1080p, I'm quite happy with it as long as I'm on Ultra settings. I do plan to get a 144hz monitor though, which my card can't handle on Ultra settings.

I'm in Australia and sadly there's not many PC stores where I am, only got PLE. I've checked other places but they seem to cost a lot more.