Bought a Z170 motherboard and Kaby Lake comes out

As mentioned in the title, I've already purchased a Z170 Asus Pro Gaming motherboard and it is impossible for me to change to a Z270 at the moment. So I have yet to purchase a chipset but which one should I go for? I was initially planning to buy the i5-6600k chip. I don't mind the little extra for Kaby Lake but can the Z170 support all the new features of it or I should just go with the Skylake.

P.S. I am fully aware that I need an existing chip for the BIOS update. Will figure something out.

I have seen that the 7700K OC better than the 6700K. But other than that, I would just buy the respective CPU depending on price - they perform pretty much the same at the same frequency.

Main Rig: Ryzen 5 5600X with ID Cooling SE-234 || Gigabyte Aorus B550I Pro AX || Asus Dual OC 3060Ti || 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz || 500GB Samsung Evo Plus || 500GB Kingston A400 || 1TB WD HDD || Cooler Master SFX V750 || Cooler Master NR200P

Secondary Rig: i7-7700K with Corsair H115i || MSI Z270 Pro Carbon AC || MSI Gaming X 1060 6GB || 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz || 500GB Adata SX8200 || 2x 1TB WD Blue || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Laptop: Macbook Pro 16" || i9-9880HK || Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB ||32GB RAM || 1TB SSD

Also, Kaby Lake CPUs will work on Z170 motherboards, but will require a Bios Update to do so. You can do so without a CPU installed on some motherboards, but others will require a Skylake CPU to be installed first. If you have a nearby PC shop they should be able to flash the bios for you if you do pick up a 7700k.

CPU: I5 4590 Motherboard: ASROCK H97 Pro4 Ram: XPG 16gb v2.0 4x4 kit  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 PSU: EVGA 550w Supernova G2 Storage: 128 gb Sandisk SSD + 525gb Mx300 SSD Cooling: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock LP Case: Zalman T2 Sound: Logitech Z506 5.1 Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma Keyboard: DBPower LED

yes it can, but it cant overclock the new cpus

2 minutes ago, IHirs said:

not at all? meaning I'm running a K series chip on my Z series board at only stock clock speed?

11 minutes ago, IHirs said:

Even if you bought a 7th gen k sku?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

15 minutes ago, IHirs said:

My Gigabyte Gaming 7 has auto profiles built into the K20 bios for the 7700k up to 5ghz.  I seriously, seriously doubt you won't be able to overclock Kaby Lake with a Z170 mobo with an updated bios.  That makes absolutely no sense.  The sockets are exactly the same meaning they are completely compatible.  The only difference will be the differences between the Z270 chipset with the extra PCIe lanes for Optane.  Not that a Kaby Lake K-series CPU will not be fully functional paired with a Z170 chipset.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

Can Z270 boards use skylake CPUs?

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

Can Z270 boards use skylake CPUs?

YUP!