Off site storage

Bijmij1

Hey guys, I have been looking for half an hour on the forums, but I can't find any answers.

Is it possible to use unRAID to set up an off site backup storage? 

If so, is there any information on how to. Because I am starting to give up all hope.

Thanks

Yes it is possible. there should be DOZENS of Youtube videos on how to do this. better still, maybe check unRAID's users guide.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

9 minutes ago, crashahotrod said:

Looks like this may be helpful, I keep seeing crashplan listed everywhere

Crashplan is one of few that gives unlimited storage.  Google Drive Enterprise also does.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

CrashPlan was nice, but their network speeds are horrible. I was barely able to get 15Mbps on my dedicated 1Gbps connection and restoring files was very time consuming. Another bad thing was if you had a lot of data stored (over 100GB), your files would be inaccessible for 1-2 days a month during "maintenance" but you wouldn't know it unless you tried doing a restore (it would queue up for up to 48 hours until they were done on their end and you'd receive no message on your end).

I tested out hubiC for a few months but the network speed is almost as bad (~5-20Mbps depending on the alignment of the planets or something) and they made it really hard for me to pay them. Their forums were plagued with warnings from current users also so I jumped ship before they sorted out the billing issue.

Right now I'm using Amazon Drive and Google Drive, both are cheap options depending on the amount of data you have. I don't care about privacy since I encrypt my backups before I transfer them so Google and Amazon don't even know the folder or file names.

-KuJoe

Oh, and how much storage do you need? I have servers with Kimsufi (OVH) and Online.net for less than $10/month with a lot of hard drive space each that I use for off-site backups (rsync). Speeds are good and I control the servers which helps me sleep good at night. :D

-KuJoe

Well, we have an old pc here that can support up to 6 drives, so I was thinking to transform that one into a nas, which I wanted to share with my girlfriend, who doesn't yet live with me.