Anyone know antenna polarization and which one to get??????!!

Legolessed

So I have a jjrc h6d and people have been telling me that I should replace me dipole antenna with a circular polarized antenna. I don't know hanging about antenna and I have no idea which one is compatible with the receiver on the jjrc h6d. please help!! Also would I see any range increase with a circular polarized antenna. Thank you and have a great day!!

match it to the direction on your little FPV module's antenna. That one is circularly polarized, but I'm not sure of the direction.

ASU

5 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

match it to the direction on your little FPV module's antenna. That one is circularly polarized, but I'm not sure of the direction.

The drone FPV looks like a linear antenna. The antenna on the jjrc h6d. How would I know which direction it is?

7 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Circular polarized antennas are polarized CIRCULARLY.....that means they emit in a CIRCLE and there is no "direction" you need to point it in...... (other than horizontal)

Image result for circular polarized antenna pattern

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

13 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Circular polarized antennas are polarized CIRCULARLY.....that means they emit in a CIRCLE and there is no "direction" you need to point it in...... (other than horizontal)

Image result for circular polarized antenna pattern

So I can use any circularly polarized antenna on my receiver?

13 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

So I can use any circularly polarized antenna on my receiver?

You need to change both your transmitter and receiver to cloverleaf antennas of the same frequency.

Usually you can buy them in sets.

Image result for circular polarized antenna set

One has 3 leaves the other has 4, I can't remember which goes where.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

You need to change both your transmitter and receiver to cloverleaf antennas of the same frequency.

Usually you can buy them in sets.

Image result for circular polarized antenna set

One has 3 leaves the other has 4, I can't remember which goes where.

Bit I can't change out the antenna on the quad. It doesn't have that connector. Will I have to change my antenna when I fly with my tx02 aio 200mw FPV camera?

7 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Bit I can't change out the antenna on the quad. It doesn't have that connector. Will I have to change my antenna when I fly with my tx02 aio 200mw FPV camera?

I thought you were talking about fpv antennas in the first place?

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

Sorry, what was that? https://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11_45_49

You need to match the direction, left or right hand, on both the TX and RX. It still works, but the reception isn't nearly as good as it would be if your antennae are the same direction.

ASU

20 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Sorry, what was that? https://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=11_45_49

You need to match the direction, left or right hand, on both the TX and RX. It still works, but the reception isn't nearly as good as it would be if your antennae are the same direction.

I don't think you understand...

The antennas are made of cloverleafs. One has 3, the other has 4.

The one with 3 goes on the transmitter, the 4 is on the receiver.

Both antennas should have the lobes rotating in the same way, either RHCP or LHCP, that's why you usually buy them in kits of 2.

RHCP and LHCP has NOTHING to do with the direction the antenna points in.

Circular polarized antennas emit in 360 degrees, that's why they are called "omnidirectional" instead of "directional".

Image result for cloverleaf antenna emit

RHCP and LHCP does NOT mean it is a directional antenna that needs to point in certain direction.

This is a directional antenna:

Image result for directional fpv antenna

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

snip

I think we're misunderstanding each other. Both RHCP and LHCP cloverleaf style antennae are omnidirectional, that's why they're used on quads. What I'm saying is that the direction of the cloverleaves affects the signal. If you have a RHCP and an LHCP, you get pretty shitty signal.

Edit: Ah, I see the discrepancy, when I said "direction" in my first post, I meant the direction the antenna is polarized in, left or right.

ASU

1 hour ago, jagster2k said:

Also, to my understanding, the number of cloves on the antenna don't determine if it should be tx/rx, but rather just give slightly different radiation patters Source

Although, according to this reddit post (as well as posts from other sources), using a 3 leaf clover on your tx and a 4 leaf on rx may offer a slight advantage because of a closer SWR to 1 (impedance from TX matches antenna better).

1 hour ago, jagster2k said:

Also, to my understanding, the number of cloves on the antenna don't determine if it should be tx/rx, but rather just give slightly different radiation patters Source

Although, according to this reddit post (as well as posts from other sources), using a 3 leaf clover on your tx and a 4 leaf on rx may offer a slight advantage because of a closer SWR to 1 (impedance from TX matches antenna better).

2 hours ago, jagster2k said:

Hello, radio/multi rotor amateur here.

I don't want to cause any heated arguments, but LHCP vs RHCP is a very important distinction.

https://blog.banggood.com/rhcp-and-lhcp-whats-the-difference-29046.html

This is supported by this flitetest video, this info FPV thread, and this amateur radio discussion.

I just wanted to post this info here in case someone tried to match LHCP with RHCP.

2 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

I think we're misunderstanding each other. Both RHCP and LHCP cloverleaf style antennae are omnidirectional, that's why they're used on quads. What I'm saying is that the direction of the cloverleaves affects the signal. If you have a RHCP and an LHCP, you get pretty shitty signal.

Edit: Ah, I see the discrepancy, when I said "direction" in my first post, I meant the direction the antenna is polarized in, left or right.

3 hours ago, Enderman said:

I don't think you understand...

The antennas are made of cloverleafs. One has 3, the other has 4.

The one with 3 goes on the transmitter, the 4 is on the receiver.

Both antennas should have the lobes rotating in the same way, either RHCP or LHCP, that's why you usually buy them in kits of 2.

RHCP and LHCP has NOTHING to do with the direction the antenna points in.

Circular polarized antennas emit in 360 degrees, that's why they are called "omnidirectional" instead of "directional".

Image result for cloverleaf antenna emit

RHCP and LHCP does NOT mean it is a directional antenna that needs to point in certain direction.

This is a directional antenna:

So which one should I use for the receiver on my jjrc h6d with the stock camera and with the txo2 air fpv camera. Can someone just link me to an antenna that would work with both of these and is $10 or less on amazon. Sorry for being so picky and have a great day!

27 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

So which one should I use for the receiver on my jjrc h6d with the stock camera and with the txo2 air fpv camera. Can someone just link me to an antenna that would work with both of these and is $10 or less on amazon. Sorry for being so picky and have a great day!

Link to the FPV module you're using?

ASU

1 hour ago, Legolessed said:

K that's a right hand circularly polarized antenna, so you need another right hand circularly polarized antenna for your receiver. I'm guessing you want something cheap, check out the Aomway 5.8ghz antennae from banggood and maybe Amazon. They're like $10 and supposed to be pretty good. 

ASU

16 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

K that's a right hand circularly polarized antenna, so you need another right hand circularly polarized antenna for your receiver. I'm guessing you want something cheap, check out the Aomway 5.8ghz antennae from banggood and maybe Amazon. They're like $10 and supposed to be pretty good. 

Is this it? https://www.amazon.com/Aomway-Antenna-Clover-Multicopter-RX-SP-SMA/dp/B01LD469JM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1481946821&sr=8-6&keywords=aomway+5.8ghz+antenna I saw some for like $4, are this just really low quality? Also will that antenna work with my jjrc h6d Fpv camera so I can use the one antenna for both? Also if it does work will  see a performance increase over my dipole antenna?

5 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Is this it? https://www.amazon.com/Aomway-Antenna-Clover-Multicopter-RX-SP-SMA/dp/B01LD469JM/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1481946821&sr=8-1&keywords eywords=aomway+5.8ghz+antenna I saw some for like $4, are this just really low quality? Also will that antenna work with my jjrc h6d Fpv camera so I can use the one antenna for both? Also if it does work will  see a performance increase over my dipole antenna?

Yup, that's the one. Do you know what kind of connector is on the receiver? If it's rpsma, you need to get an antenna that has the right connector on it. 

ASU

4 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Yup, that's the one. Do you know what kind of connector is on the receiver? If it's rpsma, you need to get an antenna that has the right connector on it. 

I don't know it's just the standard on that comes with the jjrc h6d. Online I haven't found much. Sorry. I was mainly wondering if there was an antenna that would work with both Fpv cameras.

14 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

I don't know it's just the standard on that comes with the jjrc h6d. Online I haven't found much. Sorry. I was mainly wondering if there was an antenna that would work with both Fpv cameras.

907358886X807631X17.jpgWhich one of the jacks is on the receiver? 

ASU

25 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

907358886X807631X17.jpgWhich one of the jacks is on the receiver? 

The sma jack. The 6.19mm one

Just now, Legolessed said:

The sma jack. The 6.19mm one

Alrighty, so you need a RHCP SMA antenna. So the one you found on Amazon, but with an SMA connector, not an RP-SMA. Or this guy http://www.banggood.com/Aomway-5_8GHz-FPV-4-Leaf-Clover-AV-Transmission-RHCP-Antenna-1-Pair-p-961730.html?rmmds=category

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

Alrighty, so you need a RHCP SMA antenna. So the one you found on Amazon, but with an SMA connector, not an RP-SMA. Or this guy http://www.banggood.com/Aomway-5_8GHz-FPV-4-Leaf-Clover-AV-Transmission-RHCP-Antenna-1-Pair-p-961730.html?rmmds=category

Would this one work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0194I0576/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HtmvybQW285FK

Also would this antenna work with both FPV transmitters?

Just now, Legolessed said:

Would this one work? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0194I0576/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HtmvybQW285FK

Also would this antenna work with both FPV transmitters?

No it would not work with your receiver as it has an RP-SMA connector. It's like Display Port vs Mini Displayport. Both accomplish the same things, but are not cross compatible. 

My friend has one of those, it's not great performance wise. Stick with the AOMWAY antennae as they are supposed to perform really well for the price. Also the cloverleaves are really stiff so if you stick one of those on your aircraft, the leaves will have a harder time bending in a crash.

ASU