Should I get an SSD or GPU?

Akolyte

No way is shipping that much! Can't be more than like 30 bucks. My parents business ships larger boxes all over the world, don't think shipping is EVER more than that. But I have no idea what customs would be, but it can't be THAT much either, or that entire country's importing would just be non-existent. Maybe it is that bad, I just can't imagine how it can be that hard to ship a 5 pound box...

It can cost $30 to ship a Graphics Card and a PSU for $30 from South Australia to Queensland.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Hmm.  I'll definitely get an SSD at some point but I might go for the r9 280x, 270x or maybe the GTX 770.  What do you think?

Personally, I'm not a "hardcore" gamer, or much of a gamer at all, besides a mild gamer but I'm starting to get into it.

When I built my computer, I didn't have enough to get a GPU, but would've if I'd sacrificed the SSD. Personally, I can't live without an SSD as it jus tmakes my computer so smooth and fast. Whereas I could wait for the GPU. You already have a GPU, so your situation is different. I now have (it just arrived today) a GTX 650 TI and I love it. Plays everything sweet as. So to be honest, I'd say get the SSD first if you can wait to play games at higher settings, because that way you get a faster system, and then eventually get even better graphics. Whereas if you just wait for the GPU you have nothing for a long time, then you finally get a graphics bump, and then you finally get  a speed bump. It's up to you, but I'd go the SSD route seeing as you already have a somewhat decent GPU. 

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

Personally, I'm not a "hardcore" gamer, or much of a gamer at all, besides a mild gamer but I'm starting to get into it.

When I built my computer, I didn't have enough to get a GPU, but would've if I'd sacrificed the SSD. Personally, I can't live without an SSD as it jus tmakes my computer so smooth and fast. Whereas I could wait for the GPU. You already have a GPU, so your situation is different. I now have (it just arrived today) a GTX 650 TI and I love it. Plays everything sweet as. So to be honest, I'd say get the SSD first if you can wait to play games at higher settings, because that way you get a faster system, and then eventually get even better graphics. Whereas if you just wait for the GPU you have nothing for a long time, then you finally get a graphics bump, and then you finally get  a speed bump. It's up to you, but I'd go the SSD route seeing as you already have a somewhat decent GPU. 

Yeah, I definitely would like the snapiness of an SSD than play maybe 1 or 2 games on max at 1080p.

Gpu

Question

It depends on what you do mostly on you PC.  Are you a big gamer who demands top performance? If not and you are happy with what you can do now, then get the SSD.  The SSD will boost your overall system speed, but a GPU will only help in gaming.

Re-reading what you have said, I would go SSD

Going by the fact that he has a gtx 650 at the moment, he probably isn't a hard core gamer that demands top performance,nor atleast not at the moment. He can clearly live with a lower range gpu. So why not love with it a little longer :)

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

Plus it gives time for the GPUs to drop

Here's a link to the ssds. The best one for not much is the samsung 840 evo. It's what I use and I love it. At $160 it's a good deal.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=393&t=25

Also, I suggest getting a gpu in from America. Nz post has something called youshop which is basically just shipping forwarding. So you can go to a us site like newegg and buy the gpu for wayyyy less and then have nz post forward it onto you. Saving a gll if a lot of money in the process. Especially when the new 290x reaches up to $1500

If I where you i'd save up and get a slightly better graphics card then the 660.

I'm currently running 660 and I can play all games on ultra but it's starting to get a bit slow on some of the newer titles coming out so I am going to be upgrading soon anyway!

$180 NZD for a 120GB SSD. WTF! Why on earth would you shop at noel leeming lol. You can get something way better like the samsung 840 Evo at $150.. And something else for even cheaper. Use things like pricespy.co.nz computerlounge.co.nz (computer lounge are the best guys out there) and pbtech.co.nz

Just saw this thread and was going through to check if anyone else had said this before posting it myself another place to keep an eye on is playtech.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I once sold my GTX 570 just to get the Intel 520 120GB ssd (really expensive back then). I was content with using IGP for few months before getting a replacement graphics card. To me it was totally worth it as I don't play games that much and having a ssd really helps my overall productivity and daily usage.

If your current graphics card is adequate for your usage, just bite the dust and get a ssd(even a cheap one). My rule of thumb for graphics card purchase is unless I can't buy them 2 tiers above my current graphics card,then it's not really worth the upgrade. But do feel free to ignore this advice.. ;)

Here's a link to the ssds. The best one for not much is the samsung 840 evo. It's what I use and I love it. At $160 it's a good deal.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentlist.asp?parttypeid=393&t=25

Also, I suggest getting a gpu in from America. Nz post has something called youshop which is basically just shipping forwarding. So you can go to a us site like newegg and buy the gpu for wayyyy less and then have nz post forward it onto you. Saving a gll if a lot of money in the process. Especially when the new 290x reaches up to $1500

Ya I think I'll get the 840 EVO or maybe in Intel SSD. I hear Intel SSDs are great.

I once sold my GTX 570 just to get the Intel 520 120GB ssd (really expensive back then). I was content with using IGP for few months before getting a replacement graphics card. To me it was totally worth it as I don't play games that much and having a ssd really helps my overall productivity and daily usage.

If your current graphics card is adequate for your usage, just bite the dust and get a ssd(even a cheap one). My rule of thumb for graphics card purchase is unless I can't buy them 2 tiers above my current graphics card,then it's not really worth the upgrade. But do feel free to ignore this advice.. ;)

The only reason I was going to upgrade my gpu was that people said I couldn't play bf4 on low with 60fps.  Which out of all honesty, I probably wont play much bf4 anyways.  SSD will be much more worth it

If I where you i'd save up and get a slightly better graphics card then the 660.

I'm currently running 660 and I can play all games on ultra but it's starting to get a bit slow on some of the newer titles coming out so I am going to be upgrading soon anyway!

Yeah, I know that with the new AMD cards Nvidia is dropping thier prices a ton! so I'll lookout!

Why is the SSD bad?

There is nothing wrong with it its just that ssd's are a luxury whereas a good GPU is essential. (oh and he means a better gpu btw)

The only reason I was going to upgrade my gpu was that people said I couldn't play bf4 on low with 60fps.  Which out of all honesty, I probably wont play much bf4 anyways.  SSD will be much more worth it

I cant even play mc on lowest settings with 30 fps

I cant even play mc on lowest settings with 30 fps

Oh :| what gpu are you using? or apu or whatever? I remember just last year I used a crappy a4 apu, no gpu with 1333mhz ram

I'm hopefully going to order the 840 EVO today!

Oh :| what gpu are you using? or apu or whatever? I remember just last year I used a crappy a4 apu, no gpu with 1333mhz ram

According to my computer an Intel HD 3000 its a school laptop but i am building a comp soon with a msi gtx 780 lightning, which will be a nice change :). I only got the laptop last year so it might be integrated cpu graphics on my i3 2350m @2.3ghz :(...

Here's a graph of its performance, and it is honestly the worst thing i have ever seen:

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=Intel+HD+3000

I only have 2Gb's of ram as well and tbh my computer doesn't really make it clear what it runs.

I only have 2Gb's of ram as well and tbh my computer doesn't really make it clear what it runs.

My friend paid $1000 for a macbook air, he got the same. He runs mc at 20fps min settings.  Yet he still tries to livestream

Why do you say that? All I'll be able to get in the way of GPU is a 660

then save,are you set on nvida, if you can spring for a 7950 or 280x than that would better if the price is right and it is available

I've just ordered a Samsung 840 EVO SSD.  From PBTECH.  Super Exited! the GPU can wait!

Mike_The_B0ss, on 31 Oct 2013 - 08:41 AM, said:

You can always play with lower graphic settings anyways.

Mike_The_B0ss, on 31 Oct 2013 - 1:30 PM, said:

I've just ordered a Samsung 840 EVO SSD.  From PBTECH.  Super Exited! the GPU can wait!

Congratulation! Be sure to do a clean Windows install and look on the internet how to disable the Defragmenter,enable TRIM,disable the Hibernate function and you're good to go. Good luck. :)