Folding for heat? Heck yea!

15 minutes ago, CUDA_Cores said:

Up next: 8-way R9 290 reference style blowers vs space heater. Which one will put out more heat? xD Although I suppose in order to avoid looking like a nvidia fanboy you could also use GTX 480s for the same result...

I want to say the 8-way 290's would win, but at least the space heater gives good graphics.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

On 11/28/2016 at 5:49 AM, Atlblkz06 said:

Hey folks,

I'm a seasonal folder... It first started out with mining for LTC. I figured - I needed heat anyway, might as well make money while putting my GPUs to work!

Now I just fold 24/7 as a way to heat my home. MY two 980 Tis pump about about 400+W of steady heat, and its great!

Anyone else do this? If not, remember that you're going to spend the money on your power bill anyway so might as well contribute to humanity while you're at it.

My progress so far: http://boincstats.com/en/stats/-1/user/detail/3619411

xD I'm living in malaysia and I have had the worst of luck. Even tho malaysia is near the equator during winter we get a lot of rain (right now in fact, like I see rain drops outside my window) and it gets pretty cool in the morning and evening, sometimes it gets pretty cold but not too cold once you dress up. Anyways, during the summer I had a 980 and 750ti which I bought used folding and mining (to cancel out the bill, plus make a profit but less then fully possible (folding)) and my room would be very very hot, now I have sold my mining gpus and can't find any others for some reason (fall in supply). I do this regularly, I buy gpus cheap, list them for sale at a higher price and in the meanwhile make money, win win win :D. But now I have a crap ton of money but no heaters :/

I have been suffering with the heat almost

regardless of the temperature outside. But

yeah, some of my systems were great to

have during the winter.

Heard about a fair number of people doing

the same thing.

I no longer have a powerhouse sufficient for

winter heating myself though, just folding on

the gtx 970, which doesn't help alot.

• 2 weeks later...

my Rig with folding@home kept my old place warm in the winter, however my new place it does not. At least with the colder temps my rig can run with lower fan speeds. 

Definitely folding for heat this morning (as you can see by what my idle temps were when I turned my PC on.. lol). 

Folding for Heat.PNG

CPU Intel Core i7 4790K Motherboard EVGA Z97 Stinger Core-3D GPU EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+ Storage 128 GB Samsung 850 Pro, 512 GB Samsung 850 EVO, 750GB HDD PSU Silverstone SX600-G Case Dan Cases A4-SFX v1 Cooling Custom Loop Monitor Acer Predator XB271HU (1440p), ASUS 1080p Keyboard TADA68 Mouse Logitech G502 Build Log Link

4 minutes ago, amvoith said:

Definitely folding for heat this morning (as you can see by what my idle temps were when I turned my PC on.. lol). 

Folding for Heat.PNG

I wish I could get that good temps on my i5 4690k but the IHS thermal thingy between the top cover and actual silicon chip in my i5 is screwed up making core 1 reach up to 10 degrees hotter then the rest of the cores but that's pretty decent temps for a i7 4790k at 4.5ghz

On 11/27/2016 at 3:12 PM, Imakuni said:

No, they are not. Pretty much all the energy that your PC pulls from the wall is converted into heat. Heaters might be more cost effective than a PC, but that's an entirely different measure; as far as being efficient in converting energy into heat, PCs are just as good as any other heater out there.

No, he's right.  A heat pump is basically an air conditioner in reverse, and if you've ever looked into the specs of one, you'll notice something interesting.  It might say it consumes, say, 1800 W, but moves, say, 4000 W of heat energy.  Yes, your PC will be basically ~100% efficient at creating heat, but a heat pump is effectively 250 or 300% efficient.  Scientists and engineers don't like seeing efficiency greater than 100% however and so they call this the "coefficient of performance".

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

I thought I was the only crazy one doing this. lol. My 970sli rig is a great heater for my room and my 4790k gets different profiles in winter and summer. lol. Waiting for ltt video on making a space heater to go with your pizza heater.

Folding Community Board:

Also check out our Official Folding Month event:

• 2 weeks later...

Palespartan: Its a bit of a downer really. I was all happy and proud that I'm weird... and then I join this website, and all of you go "Well duh!" lol

Great post Ryan_Vickers! 

Man is the cheapest 150 pound non-linear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor. - NASA

• 1 month later...

Currently folding with stock speeds FX 8320 + HD 7850... Office is definitely the warmest room in the house.  I have the HVAC vent closed to keep the heat going to other rooms, and occasionally use a fan from the hallway to cool it down enough to spend some time in there without sweating.

• 2 weeks later...

i run folding@home on my laptop in my bag, and while i'm waiting for the bus i can warm my hands with my computer because the heat builds up in the bag.

linus sex tips

58 minutes ago, wii8cookies said:

i run folding@home on my laptop in my bag, and while i'm waiting for the bus i can warm my hands with my computer because the heat builds up in the bag.

that's a horrible idea... it's gonna die pretty quick doing that

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

that's a horrible idea... it's gonna die pretty quick doing that

User or laptop?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

20 hours ago, wii8cookies said:

Well...I certainly hope you're joking...but what I've seen people do to laptops...isn't far off..

On 3/13/2017 at 11:49 AM, Gargone77 said:

Well...I certainly hope you're joking...but what I've seen people do to laptops...isn't far off..

i mean I've only done it like 2 times when it was -5 outside... and i think i'd rather use it that way than get forstbite. And also my school technically owns the computer so i don't really care, that's now whoever gets the computer next or the school's problem. am i a bad person? i guess you could say that.

linus sex tips

i thought this was a new thread but necro

\\

i do it for heat aswell, 

heat + cancer research win win

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.