high quality speakers

Dackzy
2 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

That's not really relevant to the conversation at hand. Also, I don't think you understand the relevance of keeping ports away from walls.

If the space from the wall to the speaker port is greater then the diameter of the port it has no effect.
If at a similar or smaller distance it elongates the length of the port

Just now, Ahoy Hoy said:

If the space from the wall to the speaker port is greater then the diameter of the port it has no effect.

That's not true.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

We *still* aren't talking about subs here. Still not sure why you think it's relevant...

Fine then

Just checking that me reading this in my head in a sarcastic way is incorrect.
Do you think sealed speakers "hurt the bass"?

1 minute ago, KaminKevCrew said:

That's not true.

okay you explain what happens then.

1 minute ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

basically every audio person I have talked to, recommend that you keep a port a meter or so away from a wall. I cannot do that and some of those people work in studios

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

okay you explain what happens then.

No. However, you can go ahead and read this very detailed, and excellently written article to educate yourself, rather than spouting untrue stuff. http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/speakerplacement.html

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

basically every audio person I have talked to, recommend that you keep a port a meter or so away from a wall. I cannot do that and some of those people work in studios

Yup.

2 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Fine then

Just checking that me reading this in my head in a sarcastic way is incorrect.
Do you think sealed speakers "hurt the bass"?

No sure what the point of this was? We haven't talked about subs at all in this thread, other than you bringing them up a few times.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

SNIP

@JohnT

Do you know any brands I should look for used? Or any new speakers that are in my price range? A amp or receiver would also be neat.

I think it is safe to say that for new speaker they should max cost about 400-450$ to be in my price range.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Yes, I can attest to this as well (leaving ported speakers away from the wall). The bass ends up sounding very muddy and boomy. And it becomes very over powering compared to the midtones and treble. The reflections are fast and harsh.

And sealed speakers have a huge impact on bass, unless of course, the cabinet contains a dedicated woofer large enough to produce bass frequencies. Sealed speakers generally require a subwoofer as they are tuned to roll-off somewhere between 60 and 150 Hz.

If you must put a ported speaker close to a wall, it is critically important to dampen the reflections by using "room treatments" directly behind the speaker.

No. However, you can go ahead and read this very detailed, and excellently written article to educate yourself, rather than spouting untrue stuff. http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/speakerplacement.html

Yup.

No sure what the point of this was? We haven't talked about subs at all in this thread, other than you bringing them up a few times.

Quick proof read nothing about ports in that post. Ctrl F port nothing to do with ports comes up. Its just talks about generic position of speakers, which is pretty hard to do as its pretty much dependent on the room. Which is why many studios are such strange shapes.
So back to my point how does a wall being close to a port of a speaker affect the sound. Explain it or go educate your self before posting links to unrelated comments.

My point about ported subs okay I said ported sub not speaker. So fair enough my bad for saying sub. Dackzy was talking about a ports on speaker and I want to know his understanding of why he thinks ports damage how the bass sounds or if Im just miss reading it.

13 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Yes, I can attest to this as well (leaving ported speakers away from the wall). The bass ends up sounding very muddy and boomy. And it becomes very over powering compared to the midtones and treble. The reflections are fast and harsh.

And sealed speakers have a huge impact on bass, unless of course, the cabinet contains a dedicated woofer large enough to produce bass frequencies. Sealed speakers generally require a subwoofer as they are tuned to roll-off somewhere between 60 and 150 Hz.

If you must put a ported speaker close to a wall, it is critically important to dampen the reflections by using "room treatments" directly behind the speaker.

Approve of this post all the way up to the last sentence.
Like you said ports affect low frequencies. To treat a room to reduce low frequencies reflections with foam requires foam quarter the length of the frequncy. So for frequncies which a port affects is 100 Hz area, unless your room is foam that isnt going to work. And your not going to Helmholtz you wall as it will look like a swiss cheese. So doing room treatment for a ported speaker near a wall is pointless.

Oh btw 100hz is 3meters so 1/4 of that in foam please.

Just now, Ahoy Hoy said:

Quick proof read nothing about ports in that post. Ctrl F port nothing to do with ports comes up. Its just talks about generic position of speakers, which is pretty hard to do as its pretty much dependent on the room. Which is why many studios are such strange shapes.
So back to my point how does a wall being close to a port of a speaker affect the sound. Explain it or go educate your self before posting links to unrelated comments.

My point about ported subs okay I said ported sub not speaker. So fair enough my bad for saying sub. Dackzy was talking about a ports on speaker and I want to know his understanding of why he thinks ports damage how the bass sounds or if Im just miss reading it.

Actually, you're right! My bad. 

I was mistaking general speaker placement (and the resulting quarter wavelength nulls) with the placement of the port in relation to the wall. 

I think that what Dackzy is worried about will be the nulls in the speaker placement.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

2 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Oh btw 100hz is 300meters so 1/4 of that in foam please.

Not according to the chart here it isn't. 

Hey! New SIgnature! 

Just now, KaminKevCrew said:

Actually, you're right! My bad. 

I was mistaking general speaker placement (and the resulting quarter wavelength nulls) with the placement of the port in relation to the wall. 

I think that what Dackzy is worried about will be the nulls in the speaker placement.

Thats fine, probably should be worried about that hard thing to deal with.
But my point about ports is correct if the gap is greater then the port size it doesnt affect it. So in dacks case the speakers hes looking for will have tiny ports so by using his wall stand theyre probably far enough away from the wall to have no affect.

15 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

@JohnT

Do you know any brands I should look for used? Or any new speakers that are in my price range? A amp or receiver would also be neat.

I think it is safe to say that for new speaker they should max cost about 400-450$ to be in my price range.

Well the problem is I'm not sure what is available in Denmark. And I also don't know anything about Argon to be quite honest. That's why I was asking about the issues you're having.

Do you have access to Emotiva in Denmark?

2 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Well the problem is I'm not sure what is available in Denmark. And I also don't know anything about Argon to be quite honest. That's why I was asking about the issues you're having.

Just got that DC-1 in today. It is AMAZING!!!

(They ship internationally, so I would think so!)

Hey! New SIgnature! 

13 minutes ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Like you said ports affect low frequencies. To treat a room to reduce low frequencies reflections with foam requires foam quarter the length of the frequncy. So for frequncies which a port affects is 100 Hz area, unless your room is foam that isnt going to work. And your not going to Helmholtz you wall as it will look like a swiss cheese. So doing room treatment for a ported speaker near a wall is pointless.

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from. The purpose is to destroy the first order reflection and calm the impact of the bass reflecting against the wall. While not exactly treating the room, one great method is to cut a small amount of foam and place it inside the speaker port directly. Thus reducing the overall port size.

But I've never heard the BS you're spouting. I've had many rear-ported speakers with differing port sizes and they all sounded better when placed farther away from the rear wall. I'm sure port size and distance have some degree of correlation, but it doesn't sound right to say the ratio of port size and distance from rear is 1:1. My experience shows otherwise.

3 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

Just got that DC-1 in today. It is AMAZING!!!

Bam!! I'm in love with my Emotiva gear. I'm glad other peeps around this forum are experimenting outside of Schiity stacks and SMSL. GREAT products! But sometimes there's just better :D

27 minutes ago, JohnT said:

looks like a no. As long as a shop in EU has them and sends international, then I am fine.

26 minutes ago, KaminKevCrew said:

that wouldn't help much unless they have a warehouse in EU, if not then I would get VAT and that could be anything from 20%-30% and then I would have to pay 30$ for shipment.

3 hours ago, Dackzy said:

So I am planning to upgrade my speakers, because their treble isn't that great. I am pretty sure that I want passive speakers, so I can exspand in the future.

I have a 400-500$ budget for the speakers.

They need to have a front bass port since they will be 20-30cm away from a wall.

Then a speaker amp or receiver, I think 250$ should be able to cover that.

Maybe the Dali Lektor 1 and the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 are worth a look?

Most smaller passive speakers nowadays are rear-ported. Have you considered just EQing it to compensate for the extra boom from a rear port?

1 hour ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

Can you define and explain port noise for the class?

15 minutes ago, SSL said:

Can you define and explain port noise for the class?

Oh man... someone please take the pot off the stove before it gets all stirred up again :D

Seems to be a lot of arguing in here and very little help.... So I'll try to be helpful.

I'm going to ignore most of what's been said and focus on the original question.
You're from Denmark (I'm assuming currently) so I'm not familiar with vendors there and won't pretend to be.

You say you have a budget of 400-500$ for speakers and 250$ for the amp ... Do you mean Kroners?
If you do then my whole pricing is gonna be off.

So I'm just gonna go by CAD Dollar since ours is so weak it isn't hard to beat LOL.

Some Speaker Options

- Klipsch R-15M (430$/Pair) 5 1/4" Woofer, 1" Tweeter, Bass port in the back.

- Polk Audio RTI A1 (300$/Pair) 5 1/4" Woofer, 1" Tweeter, Bass port in FRONT. (This is preferable if wall mounted).

- Polk Audio TSx 220B (260 - 360$/Speaker) 6 1/2" Woofer, 1" Tweeter, Bass port in FRONT. (Again this is preferable if wall mounted.)

Gonna stop there for speakers, I know its not a lot of sources but they are a good start for passive ones of good quality in that price point.

As for an Amplifier I'm terrible at choosing these so I will let others help on this.
All I can say for this is get something that can do around 100w/Channel @ 8 Ohms (Pretty sure 85w/channel @ 8 Ohms works with all the speakers I listed above).

As long as it supports that, the features you want, and is from a reputable company or a company that you find to be reputable then you're good! At least for use with what I listed above.

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

7 hours ago, JohnT said:

Has Canada invaded Denmark yet? What about this...  http://a.co/iT9Nhct

nope...

7 hours ago, Stagea said:

Maybe the Dali Lektor 1 and the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 are worth a look?

Most smaller passive speakers nowadays are rear-ported. Have you considered just EQing it to compensate for the extra boom from a rear port?

yes I have been thinking about using a EQ, but I find that some things really hate it when you just EQ a tiny bit. I have given those speakers a look, the on thing I am not sure of ia how to power them, they each have two plus and two minus on the back.

6 hours ago, KnightSirius said:

snip

it is USD, 500 danish wouldn't give me anything.

the klipsche speakers are pretty cheap here for some reason, they cost about 200$(1500dkk), but not sure that they would give me the audio quality jump that I want and the rear port is a little minus.