Nintendo 3DS still worth buying?

79wjd
On 13/11/2016 at 0:14 PM, djdwosk97 said:

The only reason I'm not too concerned with the Switch is because it's going to be $300+ and I don't see myself spending that kind of money. So to me, it's either 3DS or nothing. 

The most recent rumour has two SKUs for the Switch. One at ~$250US and the other at ~$299US with a bundled game and more internal storage. Still rumours and in this case based on a currency conversion from two leaks of retailer pricing in Canada ($329) and the UK (£199-£249). But still, don't be surprised if the Switch is a bit cheaper than you were expecting. I'd factor that into your decision about whether or not you get a 3DS or not. If you ask me the Switch will replace the 3DS in the long run in the same way it's going to replace the Wii U almost immediately.

But on the other hand you can't go too wrong with a New 3DS. It has a huge library of games and runs them better than the original 3DS model, 3DS XL and 2DS did. Possibly more importantly it has games that aren't going to be playable on the Switch. Sure the Switch will get Mario Kart and Smash, it'll also get new games and other interesting games. But it probably won't get the 3DS Pokemon games or the remakes of the N64 Zeldas. It probably won't get Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion or Braverly Default. It probably won't get the 3DS versions of Zelda, Mario and Animal Crossing. Those games are still worth playing.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

The 3DS has a massive library of game so I'd easily say yes.  If you really do wanna save money you could always go for a 2DS and those things are built like tanks too.  The "new" 3ds doesn't have much going for it in my humble opinion.  The biggest feature is the head tracking 3d and Xenoblade Choronicles.

8 hours ago, LordTaco42 said:

The "new" 3ds doesn't have much going for it in my humble opinion.  The biggest feature is the head tracking 3d and Xenoblade Choronicles.

Also faster load times and better framerates in some games and quicker movement between pieces of software. It does have double the RAM and twice the number of CPU cores.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

On 11/15/2016 at 9:05 PM, LordTaco42 said:

The "new" 3ds doesn't have much going for it in my humble opinion.  The biggest feature is the head tracking 3d and Xenoblade Choronicles.

I'm wondering if you've used 3D on both systems.  I have, and 3D on the 1st generation is garbage compared to the new one.  I bought my own New 3DS because of that instead of using my son's 1st generation system.  It's brutal. 

Plus, of course all the things @skywake said.  It's definitely better than the original ones. 

On 11/11/2016 at 7:41 PM, djdwosk97 said:

That's the one I'm getting for Christmas! Also, I think a 3DS is worth it, I have one (although it's the og) and it's really good. With the 3D upgrades on the new ones, it is definitely worth a buy imo

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I think rather than phrasing the question "Is it still worth buying" it should be "Is it worth buying".

Many things on this console will rarely see the light of day on a different console or system, and games you see on there that possibly interest you (especially any Nintendo ones) will most likely not get a port or no time soon anyway.

Firstly, do not under any circumstance buy the old 3DS/2DS unless you have a good reason to. It really is not worth it.

Secondly, if you are a fan of either Zelda or Pokémon, this is a great handheld. Every single handheld Zelda can be played on this device (GBA and NDS too, you will just need A9LH magic). And the recent additions to the Pokémon franchise are on point.

Third, if you are looking for a small retro emulator. If you find a 3DS on 10.7 or lower, you can install homebrew applications and VC Injections with very playable experiences for many old titles.

Lastly, you want to check out a games catalog online and see if there are any games that catch your fancy. Like if you're a Persona fan, Persona Q is a interesting title for sure. The recent Ace Attorney entry: Spirit of Justice was also great. Bravely Default is a great JRPG if you love FF style games. And more.

If any of that sounds appealing for a device that costs 100-200 dollars, then I suggest you pick one up.

Desktop i7-5820K @ 4.7GHz | ASUS Rampage V Edition 10 | 64GB DDR4 Corsair LPX | Titan X (1st Gen) | 256GB 950 Pro SSD + 8TB WD Red HDD | Corsair AX860i | Lian-Li PC-O8 | macOS Sierra + Win10

Audio HD800 + Magni2/Modi2 | Keyboard WhiteFox/ErgoDox | Mouse G502 | HMD HTC Vive

Things I know about: Computer Building, Software Development, Headphones, Mechanical Keyboards, Cosplay, ?

14 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

That's the one I'm getting for Christmas! Also, I think a 3DS is worth it, I have one (although it's the og) and it's really good. With the 3D upgrades on the new ones, it is definitely worth a buy imo

I don't care about the 3d at all. I turned it off when I played with it at best buy.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

I don't care about the 3d at all. I turned it off when I played with it at best buy.

If you don't care about the 3D, get a 2DS.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

2 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

If you don't care about the 3D, get a 2DS.

I don't really like the 2ds form factor -- especially not when it's only like twenty dollars cheaper than a new 3ds.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I'm really annoyed that it sold out instantly everywhere and most places listed them early too.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

I still have my original model here. Unless I get the urge, it doesn't get a lot of use nowadays, partially due to my lack of gaming in general. The New 3DS is certainly better than the original model, I'd still take the clam shell form factor of the original over the 2DS.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

On 12/9/2016 at 10:07 PM, Zodiark1593 said:

I still have my original model here. Unless I get the urge, it doesn't get a lot of use nowadays, partially due to my lack of gaming in general. The New 3DS is certainly better than the original model, I'd still take the clam shell form factor of the original over the 2DS.

I also really dislike the 2DS design. I've been using my N3DS for about a week now, and I really do wish the screen was bigger and a higher resolution. 

I also really would like to get the 20th anniversary Blastoise cover plate....but not for $50+. fuck that. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

I also really dislike the 2DS design. I've been using my N3DS for about a week now, and I really do wish the screen was bigger and a higher resolution. 

I also really would like to get the 20th anniversary Blastoise cover plate....but not for $50+. fuck that. 

The 3DS visuals are perfectly sufficient for the art designs that are normally targeted at the system, but yes, that low resolution does hurt a lot, especially when games use the town outline effects.

The system itself is capable of performing SSAA (where implemented) where 3d wasn't used, an 800 x 480 display would have been a nice fit for the hardware. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…