What GPU can I choose that won't limit my CPU too much?

Xiauj

Sup guys,

So.. soon I hope to get a PC Upgrade, however..... I'm still trying to decide what GPU to get for my AMD-Rig to make sure it won't affect CPU Performance etc... when I'm browsing or gaming. The CPU btw is an AMD FX 8350 (I made a wrong choice by going with AMD I know I know.... I've been told) but I just don't know what GPU will work well with it for 1080p-High/Ultra or 1440p Gaming.

Oh and er, there is another thing as well. I hope to get 3 monitors soon but will only play games on the middle one. The GPU needs to support 3 monitors if possible.

Spoiler

What type of games do I play?

Most of them are Steam games being story-based, multiplayer-based etc.. so TLDR: Most games that out right now I guess :P

Any recommendations? Roughly £100-250 is my budget for the GPU Alone.

Thanks

~Xiauj ^_^

Hey I'm Xiauj ^_^ Wassup :3

RX480 since its an AMD build

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1060 6GB comes at around 240 pounds

5 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

rx480 or 1060 is what id get.

1 minute ago, Shiv78 said:

Which do you guys think would perform better for both 1080p-Ult / 1440p & 3x monitors?

Part of me keeps thinking the RX 480 won't handle it, but idk in all honesty.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

1060 6GB comes at around 240 pounds

Which one in particular did you mean (PCPP Link?) ..?

Oh and I forgot to include this question originally but, should I get a long-length card or short length? Did see a 1060 full length but was close to £350 odd. Idk if any performance is lost or anything like that if I were to get a 'mini gpu'.

i reckon unless getting the 6gb 1060 , the 480 is a better option and with vulkan is could run some games even better

Just now, Xiauj said:

Which do you guys think would perform better for both 1080p-Ult / 1440p & 3x monitors?

Part of me keeps thinking the RX 480 won't handle it, but idk in all honesty.

There about the same, with the 1060 normally being a bit faster.

Mini gpu's are the same as the big ones, just shorter.

You can go faster, but cpu is a big limit then, If you can afford a 1070/1080 id go for it and get zen/sky/kabylake.

9 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

why does the cpu make a difference?

on that note, i'd say either the RX480 8GB, or the GTX1060 6GB.

I am using the Zotac GTX 1060 mini 6gb because it's the cheapest 1060 currently available in Canada ($340 free shipping @ STAPLES). 

The appearance of the card doesn't inspire confidence with its flimsy looking fan and aluminum block, but it's been performing really well for me. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's relatively quiet too.

8 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

I am using the Zotac GTX 1060 mini 6gb because it's the cheapest 1060 currently available in Canada ($340 free shipping @ STAPLES). 

The appearance of the card doesn't inspire confidence with its flimsy looking fan and aluminum block, but it's been performing really well for me. I have nothing but good things to say about it. It's relatively quiet too.

cheapest at staples wut? staples are not even an electronic shop

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you can afford a 1070/1080 id go for it and get zen/sky/kabylake.

Isn't Zen meant to be AM4 ..? Mine is AM3 :P And I wish I could afford a new rig instead of this PC Upgrade but I'm not sure if an i3/i5 (Depending on budget) rig would make much of a difference when Gaming.

I was considering a GTX 1070 which of course is out of budget but I have a feeling it would heavily impact my CPU, would it? Not entirely sure.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

why does the cpu make a difference?

Yeah.. I was kinda asking myself the same question :P

2 minutes ago, kokakolia said:

Mind if I ask what resolution/settings you can achieve with that 1060? o.O

Would you say its 1080p Ultra / 1440p capable? And how many monitors do you have?

2 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

I say 1060, but depending on your boodget you could go 470 and upgrade your architecture

Well, this will be a PC Upgrade so I hope to upgrade some GPU Arch/Performance.

If curious, the whole upgrade will be replacing:

The Case

CPU-Cooling

GPU

PSU

And I'll need a USB convert-adapter for the case's USB 3.0 ports, my mobo doesn't have it when I thought it did.

36 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

cheapest at staples wut? staples are not even an electronic shop

IKR!? Here's the link:

http://www.staples.ca/en/Zotac-GeForce-GTX-1060-Mini-Graphic-Card-GDDR5-6GB-English-ZT-P10600A-10L-/product_2420167_2-CA_1_20001

I play the Witcher 3 @ 1080p in ULTRA with Hair Works off and viewing distance slightly lowered. I have two monitors, but I only game on one and use the other for forums etc...

Curious... would a GTX 1050 handle 3x monitors and 1080p Ultra settings at a reasonable 40-60 FPS?

Can't find a good, full length 1060 3x of the same connection being DP or HDMI.

Oh and er, I did just think about something else.

Will my motherboard suffice/handle a GTX 1050/1060 or 470/480 ..?

My motherboard is a Asus M5A78L Blue motherboard.

@deXxterlab97, @Shiv78, @Electronics Wizardy

Edited by Xiauj

5 hours ago, Xiauj said:

Curious... would a GTX 1050 handle 3x monitors and 1080p Ultra settings at a reasonable 40-60 FPS?

Can't find a good, full length 1060 3x of the same connection being DP or HDMI.

Oh and er, I did just think about something else.

Will my motherboard suffice/handle a GTX 1050/1060 or 470/480 ..?

My motherboard is a Asus M5A78L Blue motherboard.

@deXxterlab97, @Shiv78, @Electronics Wizardy

You don't have to mention blue in there

1050? Ultra? triple monitor? highly doubt

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

You don't have to mention blue in there

Heh... ;) I didn't purposely mention it because I know you like Blue :P I just pasted the name from my specs-list/doc.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

1050? Ultra? triple monitor? highly doubt

Yeah I was thinking the same too, oh well. Only just a thought.

Thinking of getting this GPU:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/tJyxFT/evga-geforce-gtx-1060-6gb-sc-gaming-video-card-06g-p4-6163-kr

Really would have preferred a full-length GPU which EVGA does for the right price but:

PCPP doesn't have them listed

And EVGA "apparently" only sells them in the USA -_->:(

Source: http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=0&family=GeForce+10+Series+Family&chipset=GTX+1060+6GB

I'm talking about the $259.99 ones btw

Ooookay then......

never mind.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M13X6J1/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Just found one with ACX 3.0 also. This should work alright? Right? xD

Literally JUST found it the second I said I couldn't find one.. gg me.

EDIT: Nvm, its 3GB.

Edited by Xiauj

11 hours ago, YaqinHasan said:

Personally I'd go for this: https://www.amazon.com/MSI-GAMING-GTX-1060-3G/dp/B01KIJ7XQG/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1478818608&sr=1-3&keywords=GTX%2B1060%2B3GB&th=1 which has okay performance and multi-monitor support, while fitting with your red AMD bulld theme( I'd guess it's red)

You can not seriously suggest 3gb vram for a triple monitor setup. Even playing on 1440p singlemonitor would be problematic.

1 hour ago, Fabian Flaa said:

You can not seriously suggest 3gb vram for a triple monitor setup. Even playing on 1440p singlemonitor would be problematic.

He said he wants to run games on one monitor and that the other 2 are work monitors which don't need that much VRAM anyway. If he does decide to play on 3 monitors, the GPU itself won't fare that well.

8 hours ago, Xiauj said:

Ooookay then......

never mind.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M13X6J1/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

good deal here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/755849-gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1060-windforce-oc-6gb-gddr5-dual-link-dvi-d-hdmi-displayport-gv-n1060wf2oc-6gd

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

8 hours ago, Xiauj said:

Ooookay then......

never mind.

Since you said you're only gonna play on one of the monitors and the other 2 will be for "research" 3GB will be fine 

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

18 hours ago, Shiv78 said:

Nvdia would be a better choice as nvdia drivers army so hard on the cpu

thats why the fury x gets wrecked at 1080p but not at 4k

nvdia will help eliminate the cpu bottleneck 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

10 hours ago, Fabian Flaa said:

8 hours ago, YaqinHasan said:

He said he wants to run games on one monitor and that the other 2 are work monitors which don't need that much VRAM anyway. If he does decide to play on 3 monitors, the GPU itself won't fare that well.

YaqinHasan is correct, I do only want to play on one monitor but if a GTX 1060 can really handle triple monitor gaming (Which I doubt it cannot handle) then I can try it, but idk if it will work. Middle monitor for gaming, left and monitors for chrome or another application.

8 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Very good value/price but would prefer one with 3x of the same output (DisplayPort or HDMI).

8 hours ago, YaqinHasan said:

Since you said you're only gonna play on one of the monitors and the other 2 will be for "research" 3GB will be fine 

Ya reckon? :o

Think I'll still get good FPS on most of today's games like Witcher 3, GTA V, BF1 etc etc..... at 1080p Ult / 1440p?

3 hours ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

Nvdia would be a better choice as nvdia drivers army so hard on the cpu

thats why the fury x gets wrecked at 1080p but not at 4k

nvdia will help eliminate the cpu bottleneck 

So, you think NVIDIA would be better or not really? Not quite sure what you mean.

Oh and I forgot to mention to all, my GPU is currently a NVIDIA GPU which I'll be upgrading from.