Triple 1080p vs 1440p 144hz vs 4k vs 3840x1440

pyr0

Hello.

I am thinking of getting a gtx 1080This means I can run my games at any of these resolutions with the possible exception of 1440p 144hz. If i went with this one I would get the rx 490/490x as there is a good freesync monitor like this within my budget. I couldn't hit 1440p 144hz all the time, but 100-110 fps would feel very smooth as well.

One concern is that not all games might support the standard I go with.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

the 1080 ti is also rumored to be coming out sooner or later. i am pretty sure it can handle your needs

G502 Lightspeed Review

PC:

Spoiler

i5-6400

GIGABYTE GA-H110M-DS2

CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 2X4 DDR4-2666MHz

ASUS ROG STRIX-GTX 1060-O6G

SEAGATE 2TB HDD

FUJISTU F300 240GB SSD

CORSAIR CX750M

Laptop:

Spoiler

Acer Nitro 5
i5 8300h
GTX 1050 4Gb
12 Gb RAM

128 Gb SSD

1 Tb HDD

Peripherals:

Spoiler

Keyboard:

Logitech G310 Atlas Dawn (Romer G)

Rexus Legionare MX5.1 (Content Browns)

Mice:

Logitech G602

Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Steelseries Rival 105

Logitech M330

Headset:

Logitech G430 
Cooler Master MH 752

144hz 1440p allday long your eyes will love it and youll hate 60hz for the rest of your life.

Main system:

i7 6700k @4.8ghz 1.45v

ROG Maximus Hero VIII

Gigabyte G1 980ti Sli @1500 ghz

Samsung 950 pro 512gb

16gb G.Skill Ripjawz V @3400mhz 

Corsair H115i 280mm AIO

Corsair 400c Case

Corsair RM1000i

Backup/Older/Toys:

Intel i3 6100 @4.6ghz 1.52v

Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper

Intel 750 series 400gb

Radeon Rx 470 XFX

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO 

inWin 303 case

AMD Phenom II x4 940 @3.9ghz 1.65v

Gigabyte 780g mobo

Corsair H100 240mm AIO

Corsair Dominiator 8gb DDR2 @1066

Evga GTX 750ti FTW @1450mhz

Thermaltake Matrix case (modded)

"The best way to look stylish on a budget is to try second-hand, bargain hunting, and vintage" 

5 minutes ago, Oswin said:

the 1080 ti is also rumored to be coming out sooner or later. i am pretty sure it can handle your needs

the current rumor is January 2017 from what I hear (nothing official yet though)

2 hours ago, Zyndo said:

the current rumor is January 2017 from what I hear (nothing official yet though)

I will get whatever card is in the ~£600 range that is the fastest, but what monitor standard should I get?

9 minutes ago, pyr0 said:

I will get whatever card is in the ~£600 range that is the fastest, but what monitor standard should I get?

its entirely a personal decision. some people love surround setups. I don't. Some people love high rez gaming 4k, others love high refresh rate 1080p/1440p. Its entirely your choice and there isn't really a "better" one. 144hz gaming can give you a slight competitive edge if you're really into extremely high level gaming... Ultrawides can often give you a slightly wider field of view in some supported games as well, with surround setups making that even more (again, in supported games)

its entirely your choice based on your preferences. there are pros and cons to each setup. You have to decide for yourself which medium you prefer.

Just now, Zyndo said:

its entirely a personal decision. some people love surround setups. I don't. Some people love high rez gaming 4k, others love high refresh rate 1080p/1440p. Its entirely your choice and there isn't really a "better" one. 144hz gaming can give you a slight competitive edge if you're really into extremely high level gaming... Ultrawides can often give you a slightly wider field of view in some supported games as well, with surround setups making that even more (again, in supported games)

its entirely your choice based on your preferences. there are pros and cons to each setup. You have to decide for yourself which medium you prefer.

Yeahhhh. The issue is I can't try these things out, so I have to make a blind stab in the dark.

7 minutes ago, pyr0 said:

Yeahhhh. The issue is I can't try these things out, so I have to make a blind stab in the dark.

well typically people into competitive gaming (shooters, MOBA's, etc) tend to favor single high refresh rate monitors for the performance edge. Driving games tend to have excellent triple monitor support and is a common setup for these kind of gamers. Conversely if you're an RTS fan, ultrawides and triple monitor setups usually have terrible UI scaling and support in those kind of games (especially with triple monitors). If you're more of an RPG adventure gamer, 60 fps is plenty for that and you should consider an a 4k monitor at your budget range for the best visual experience.

Then there is the curved ultrawide like an X34 or PG348Q. These high refresh rate, curved, ultrawides are sort of a big mix of all the pros and few of the cons for all these setups. you get immersion (thanks to the curved panel), increased field of view, a competitively high refresh rate (currently up to 100 fps, stepping up to 125 fps in the X34P being released later this year/early next year), a high resolution for good looking games, yet not low enough that its easier to run than a 4k monitor or triple 1080p. Of course these monitors are stupidly expensive.... buuuut that's an option (there are also cheaper models that have lower resolutions and refresh rates and don't have g-sync if you are considering this format but don't want the cost)

These are, of course, just generalizations. There is no reason you can't play an shooter on a 60hz 4k panel, or an RPG on a surround setup. Some people love what they love. These are just basic recommendations so it is less of a "shot in the dark" for you.

21:9 support can be incompatible with certain games and even G-Sync in certain cases if the game is tied to the physics engine, Bethesda games are a good example.

I have been looking into screens for a while now, just like people say - depends on your needs/wants and budget. 
I ended up going with an ASUS PG279Q, 1440p 165hz gsync - silky buttery lubed girl-like smooth.
It is, however, priced very aggressively, I don't think it is really worth the price.

That said, the website 144hzmonitors.com is a great starting point: discover, explore and decide.

1440p and 144hz. I have one and it's amazing. You wouldn't want 60hz if you played any multiplayer or open world game. The difference is just too huge.