PSU Causing crashes? (Corsair CX750)

Andazu

I once again return to the best community to seek help in an issue which i can not solve myself. So i have been over the past few months been having issues with my PC regarding it crashing in some 3D games/benchmarks. The way it crashes is just the screen freezes, sound stops and i am stuck with what was last presented on the monitor, a total system lock which i can only fix by manually shutting off my PC and restarting.

The reason i think it is the PSU is:

• All my temps are fine and stable
  • No-overclocking of neither CPU or GPU
  • And the biggest suspicion, the PSU does make a huge viarity of static noises when entering any form of 3D program.

The uncommon sound is not really all that loud (But definitely something you can hear by being near the case), but because of it even making noise i have to be suspicious of it being the culprit.

I bought the PSU back in February of this year, and i do have a 2 year warranty on the PSU but they will only provide me with a new one if they think it's the issue, and if they don't find anything out of the ordinary, i apparently have to pay a small (but noticeable) fee. So i thought coming here first would be the better option. I do think the noise alone would be enough for them to give me a new one, but i can't be certain.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

- Anders A.K.A Andazu

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

2 minutes ago, Andazu said:

I once again return to the best community to seek help in an issue which i can not solve myself. So i have been over the past few months been having issues with my PC regarding it crashing in some 3D games/benchmarks. The way it crashes is just the screen freezes, sound stops and i am stuck with what was last presented on the monitor, a total system lock which i can only fix by manually shutting off my PC and restarting.

The reason i think it is the PSU is:

• All my temps are fine and stable
  • No-overclocking of neither CPU or GPU
  • And the biggest suspicion, the PSU does make a huge viarity of static noises when entering any form of 3D program.

The uncommon sound is not really all that loud (But definitely something you can hear by being near the case), but because of it even making noise i have to be suspicious of it being the culprit.

I bought the PSU back in February of this year, and i do have a 2 year warranty on the PSU but they will only provide me with a new one if they think it's the issue, and if they don't find anything out of the ordinary, i apparently have to pay a small (but noticeable) fee. So i thought coming here first would be the better option. I do think the noise alone would be enough for them to give me a new one, but i can't be certain.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

- Anders A.K.A Andazu

Funny I have the same PSU and I have never had that problem.

The geek himself.

I would first rule out the other components: uninstall GPU drivers with DDU and then reinstall them. Fire up AIDA64 stress test for the CPU and RAM and see if it's fine after a couple hoursp Then do Unigine Heaven Benchmark for the GPU.

If all of these pass fine, then there's a chance that it is the PSU, but a PSU related problem would usually cause an immediate shutdown, not a system freeze.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 hours ago, Energycore said:

I would first rule out the other components: uninstall GPU drivers with DDU and then reinstall them. Fire up AIDA64 stress test for the CPU and RAM and see if it's fine after a couple hoursp Then do Unigine Heaven Benchmark for the GPU.

If all of these pass fine, then there's a chance that it is the PSU, but a PSU related problem would usually cause an immediate shutdown, not a system freeze.

Also worth noting, in the games that would crash i found out that turning down the resolution seemed to fix crashes, don't know if that might lead us closer to a conclusion but i thought it might have been worth saying :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

58 minutes ago, Andazu said:

Also worth noting, in the games that would crash i found out that turning down the resolution seemed to fix crashes, don't know if that might lead us closer to a conclusion but i thought it might have been worth saying :)

Sounds like a GPU thing tbh

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

12 hours ago, Andazu said:

The way it crashes is just the screen freezes, sound stops and i am stuck with what was last presented on the monitor, a total system lock which i can only fix by manually shutting off my PC and restarting.

That's more likely a stability problem (either with physical hardware or drivers) than a PSU problem. Sounds like GPU. If it's PSU, the system would just straight up shut off abruptly when you put a load on it.

12 hours ago, Andazu said:

Coil whine.

"Rawr XD"

It can be a PSU problem, instability of the PSU can cause problems on the GPU.

But your PSU is Good, mine Who caused problems was a generic 350W that had a bad 12V rail (my GPU crashed after seconds under load, unless if extrenely downclocked)

Ultra is stupid. ALWAYS.

So for you guys mentioning drivers maybe being a problem, what should i do in that regard? I don't have an extra GPU or PSU just laying around to test out, so i am giving fixing drivers a shot :)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)