Performance hit (Resolved)

Polished Windhog

So, I was playing Overwatch, as you do, and I wiped my keyboard (Cause it was gross), a bunch of things opened (Command prompt, file explorer, etc.). Most importantly, the Xbox...game...DVR(?) recording software opened and started to record, I told it to stop, it told me I couldn't record at this time. After that, My system was struggling to push half the frames it could before. It could do Overwatch on Epic settings without any issues, and all of a sudden I can barely do 30-40 frames.

Any ideas?

Just now, Slottr said:

Have you tried turning it off and on again

Yeah, first thing I did.

Just now, Polished Windhog said:

Yeah, first thing I did.

Turn off the Xbox game DVR

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Polished Windhog said:

Already tried.

Well what have you all tried? Narrow it down a little..

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

9 minutes ago, Polished Windhog said:

So, I was playing Overwatch, as you do, and I wiped my keyboard (Cause it was gross), a bunch of things opened (Command prompt, file explorer, etc.). Most importantly, the Xbox...game...DVR(?) recording software opened and started to record, I told it to stop, it told me I couldn't record at this time. After that, My system was struggling to push half the frames it could before. It could do Overwatch on Epic settings without any issues, and all of a sudden I can barely do 30-40 frames.

Any ideas?

End the xbox app process in your task manager? I use the app alot, but never noticed that sort of performance loss on anything.

2 minutes ago, Polished Windhog said:

Already tried.

Open the task manager and see what's using all the resources.

Just now, takoofapoc said:

End the xbox app process in your task manager? I use the app alot, but never noticed that sort of performance loss on anything.

I don't even know if it's the issue, that just seems more likely.

check your resource usage. is it related to high cpu usage? i had an update kill my cpu usage and i went through 3 days where sitting at the desktop pinned my cpu at 80%. 

in the end i just reinstalled windows. give us some stuff to work with and we can narrow it down a little bit.

give us a screen shot of the task manager sorted by cpu usage.

Edited by thorbrantly101
needed more info

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

4 minutes ago, Polished Windhog said:

If it ever loads, I'll let you know.

What's discussed-

Bad FPS after latest Win10 "Anniversary Update"? Got some solutions, more insideTip (self.DotA2)

submitted 2 months ago * by Pimpmuckl

Hey guys now that TI is over I'm sure lots of you updated to 1607 aka "Anniversary Update" on your Windows 10 machine.

This wonderful update reinstalls the xbox app apparently, so you have to disable GameDVR again if you want good FPS.

Why? GameDVR constantly records your game play and as you can imagine, that costs performance. Using plays.tv/shadowplay costs considerably less, not 100% sure why, but disable it. Seriously.

Here's how:

1. Open Xbox app
  2. Sign in with your Microsoft Acc
  3. Hamburger Menu
  4. Settings
  5. GameDVR
  6. OFF

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/koMPtR9.png Also big shoutout to Microsoft for not letting me use "pimp" in my name

Note, after you're done with it you can remove the xbox app if you want.

1. Start
  2. Power Shell, press SHIFT+CTRL+Enter to enter Administrator Power Shell
  3. Type "Get-AppxPackage -allusers Microsoft.XboxApp | Remove-AppxPackage", Enter, done

For those that don't have a Microsoft account or can't remember the details of it or whatever, you can disable GameDVR this way:

• Open Registry Editor (Run > regedit)
  • Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore
  • Set the value of DWORD "GameDVR_Enabled" to 0
  • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
  • Create key "GameDVR"
  • Create DWORD 32bit called "AllowgameDVR" and set to 0

Edit: Changed again.

thanks to /u/tamamushiiro12 for that and /u/Culween for the fix

The other thing is that there is a chance some Nvidia GPUs have stuttering or lowfps.

Edit: Nvidia released a completely new driver which you can download on their website.  <--- probably not current..... but yeah make sure you download w/e the current driver for your gpu is

I didn't test it yet, on that right now and will edit in.

Just in general, keep your Video drivers updated. Steam gives you a super easy way to do so:

1. Steam menu top left of your client
  2. Update Video Driver

Even better, use AMD's or Nvidia's website to download your respective drivers.

Do that like once or twice a month for the bestest FPS possible.

Sometimes AU reset your 144hz setting for your monitor. Re-enable it in Display settings of Windows or in your driver.

How to disable the annoying Candy Crush Saga and whatever else crap there is:

• Start/Search regedit, enter
  • Go to the following Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CloudContent (If you have no such Registry key, you need to create it)
  • Create a new 32-bit DWORD value named DisableWindowsConsumerFeatures and set its value data to 1 (even if you are running 64-bit Windows, you still need to create a 32-bit DWORD value) Restart Windows 10.

And while I have your attention, please not that if you had a dev.dota2.com account, change your passwords on all websites you used the same password and think about using a password manager. It got recently hacked.

And one more thing, if you have issues with the game in general you can try to use a different render engine.

If Vulkan wouldn't have lots of bugs still I'd recommend that (-vulkan) but for example cooldowns are still not showing (Valve please fix).

So mostly it's -gl for Nvidia GPUs (or just the default dx9) and either -dx11 or -nod3d9ex for AMD GPUs.

If you have more tech stuff, just post it here or twitter or whatever.

Peace, JJ

Try deleting your overwatch settings file in documents/overwatch

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

I updated my display drivers, and that seems to have fixed the issue, from what I can see, thank you all for your help, even if I didn't get around to your answer.