PWM Fans always running at full speed

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
18 minutes ago, RISKY_BUSINESS said:

Im using the system fan header. I guess i just assumed that it would work since the header has four pins. I will try the CPU header when i get home and i will give an update. Thanks!

That will solve the issue. If you look at manual how pins are connected, it says VCC for 4th pin. Thats Gigabytes way of saying it doesn't do anything special. MSI is more direct with 4th pin reading "Not connected".

As for pre-profiles. If you plan to use them, Silent will kill power to CPU_OPT unless system is under stress. So if you are using that header, use Normal or Manual mode.

Hello! Recently I purchased a SilverStone 1-to-8 PWM fan hub to hook up my Arctic F8 PWM 80mm fans. The fans spin but for some reason they are always at full speed. HWMonitor says that they are spinning at 2450 rpm which is really fast! I tried to use Speedfan and Gigabyte smart fan but nothing works. My motherboard is a Gigabyte H170N-WIFI.

7 minutes ago, RISKY_BUSINESS said:

Hello! Recently I purchased a SilverStone 1-to-8 PWM fan hub to hook up my Arctic F8 PWM 80mm fans. The fans spin but for some reason they are always at full speed. HWMonitor says that they are spinning at 2450 rpm which is really fast! I tried to use Speedfan and Gigabyte smart fan but nothing works. My motherboard is a Gigabyte H170N-WIFI.

Make sure your header on the motherboard is setup as PWM based control within the BIOS or it won't be able to control the speed of the fans. 

Which header are you using? Gigabyte mobos support PWM only with CPU and CPU_OPT headers. Rest are 4pin but don't have PWM option.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Which header are you using? Gigabyte mobos support PWM only with CPU and CPU_OPT headers. Rest are 4pin but don't have PWM option.

Im using the system fan header. I guess i just assumed that it would work since the header has four pins. I will try the CPU header when i get home and i will give an update. Thanks!

17 hours ago, W-L said:

Make sure your header on the motherboard is setup as PWM based control within the BIOS or it won't be able to control the speed of the fans. 

There isnt a setting in my Bios for PWM mode. I only have settings for silent, normal, manual, and full speed.

18 minutes ago, RISKY_BUSINESS said:

That will solve the issue. If you look at manual how pins are connected, it says VCC for 4th pin. Thats Gigabytes way of saying it doesn't do anything special. MSI is more direct with 4th pin reading "Not connected".

As for pre-profiles. If you plan to use them, Silent will kill power to CPU_OPT unless system is under stress. So if you are using that header, use Normal or Manual mode.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

6 hours ago, RISKY_BUSINESS said:

There isnt a setting in my Bios for PWM mode. I only have settings for silent, normal, manual, and full speed.

As mentioned by Logical you will want to make sure that header is PWM capable so putting the fan hub onto the CPU header would probably be best to allow you to group control all the fans. 

7 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

okay, so i connected the hub to the CPU fan header and it works! Thanks a lot! I also have another question. The silverstone hub uses one fan as a reference to control the rpm of the rest. Is it okay if i use the cpu fan as the reference? Can using speedfan also be a possibility to control fan speed? 

1 hour ago, RISKY_BUSINESS said:

okay, so i connected the hub to the CPU fan header and it works! Thanks a lot! I also have another question. The silverstone hub uses one fan as a reference to control the rpm of the rest. Is it okay if i use the cpu fan as the reference? Can using speedfan also be a possibility to control fan speed? 

Yes, the same signal is sent to all the fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, RISKY_BUSINESS said:

Yes and yes. I control both PWM and 3pins like that on my mobo.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

14 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Yes and yes. I control both PWM and 3pins like that on my mobo.

Just figured out that speedfan doesn't support my motherboard. Is there any other program like speedfan i can use?

11 hours ago, RISKY_BUSINESS said:

Just figured out that speedfan doesn't support my motherboard. Is there any other program like speedfan i can use?

Doesn't support how? Speedfan requires you to tell it which controllers to use. I'd post some guides but I'm on mobile for next 12h.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Doesn't support how? Speedfan requires you to tell it which controllers to use. I'd post some guides but I'm on mobile for next 12h.

Whenever I try to configure speedan in the advanced tab, it is blank instead of looking like this:

SpeedFan8712Fox.jpg

15 minutes ago, RISKY_BUSINESS said:

Whenever I try to configure speedan in the advanced tab, it is blank instead of looking like this:

With latest BIOS? That bummer. There really isn't any other options for software. Its either what mobo has (and Gigabyte sucks at this) or Speedfan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

With latest BIOS? That bummer. There really isn't any other options for software. Its either what mobo has (and Gigabyte sucks at this) or Speedfan.

well there is hope! I found this program called Smartfan frog gigabyte and it seems to work. there are basic presets or I can set up a custom fan curve. i guess that settles my problem, many thanks for the help!