LEGO PC Case

Stardar1

How inconceivable would it be to build a case out of LEGO? 

Just think about how cool it would be, the ability to just click in a drive cage or radiator mount.

Obviously some drilling and ground wires would be needed, but are there any big problems I'm missing?

Different PCPartPickers for different countries:

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

10 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

You can build a hole so no drilling needed. Problem is cost. You need lots of lego bricks. And lego ain't cheap. Another one is they are plastic.

But is possible

https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/blogs/wiredenterprise/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/lego-case-660x495.jpgImage result for lego pc caseImage result for lego pc case

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

You can build a hole so no drilling needed. Problem is cost. You need lots of lego bricks. And lego ain't cheap. Another one is they are plastic.

I have quite the supply of LEGO, and you would need to drill holes for mobo standoffs and the like. 

UK-----Italy----Canada-----Spain-----Germany-----Austrailia-----New Zealand-----'Murica-----France-----India

Well, with an i7, GTX 1080, Full tower and flashy lights, it can obviously only be for one thing:

Solitaire. 

1 minute ago, dexxterlab97 said:

But is possible

https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/blogs/wiredenterprise/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/lego-case-660x495.jpgImage result for lego pc caseImage result for lego pc case

ok yeah I'm doing this thing

Solitaire. 

Just now, Stardar1 said:

I have quite the supply of LEGO, and you would need to drill holes for mobo standoffs and the like. 

Yeah. Possible. But I am sure they are not same color. Would be nice for an all black/white/red or whatever.

Just now, dexxterlab97 said:

Yeah. Possible. But I am sure they are not same color. Would be nice for an all black/white/red or whatever.

I have a significant number of black bricks, and I'm sure if i used enough of an accent color I could make it looks nice. 

It would take forever though

Solitaire. 

3 minutes ago, dexxterlab97 said:

But is possible

https://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/blogs/wiredenterprise/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/lego-case-660x495.jpg

Looks like a computer case COVERED in lego, not necessarily built out of it.

Anyway, I'd love to see someone do this. I agree wtih the above though. You don't need to drill holes, just use the lego pieces with holes in them.. Hopefully they'll line up correctly.

Just now, corrado33 said:

Looks like a computer case COVERED in lego, not necessarily built out of it.

Anyway, I'd love to see someone do this.

yeah but it works

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Anyway, I'd love to see someone do this. I agree wtih the above though. You don't need to drill holes, just use the lego pieces with holes in them.. Hopefully they'll line up correctly.

But the screws would have to secure into those holes, which do not have threading on them. I can probably make "converter" pieces that convert from a screwhole to LEGO pieces. 

It is also worth noting that I have access to a 3D printer

Solitaire. 

1 minute ago, Stardar1 said:

But the screws would have to secure into those holes, which do not have threading on them. I can probably make "converter" pieces that convert from a screwhole to LEGO pieces. 

It is also worth noting that I have access to a 3D printer

Well that makes things a bit easier...

Also of note: Lego technic holes will not line up with ATX motherboard hole spacing, unfortunately. 

Well that makes things a bit easier...

Also of note: Lego technic holes will not line up with ATX motherboard hole spacing, unfortunately. 

I had a feeling that would be the case. (no pun intended)

I can make pieces that fit the technic that have the proper fittings and spacing for the standoffs though

Solitaire. 

7 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

I had a feeling that would be the case. (no pun intended)

I can make pieces that fit the technic that have the proper fittings and spacing for the standoffs though

I would definetly glue the bricks and add extra support where possible :) good luck

Just now, Napalm360 said:

I would definetly glue the bricks and add extra support where possible :) good luck

but that kills the fun!

I can use staggering vertical technic pieces to reinforce it

Solitaire. 

1 minute ago, Stardar1 said:

but that kills the fun!

Yea thats what i meant plus theres no cheating by using adhesive to make sure the bricks dont crumble

4 minutes ago, Stardar1 said:

but that kills the fun!

2 minutes ago, Napalm360 said:

Yea thats what i meant plus theres no cheating by using adhesive to make sure the bricks dont crumble

I think it built properly (not just a straight wall of lego) it can be plenty strong, even if the case is knocked over. 

I'd imagine this case is going to be quite heavy.

I think it built properly (not just a straight wall of lego) it can be plenty strong, even if the case is knocked over. 

I'd imagine this case is going to be quite heavy.

My Phanteks Enthoo pro weighs a crapload, I don't think this (as a mid tower) could be too much heaver than that steel full tower

Solitaire. 

I'll make it blue just for @dexxterlab97

Solitaire. 

Just now, Stardar1 said:

I'll make it blue just for @dexxterlab97

:) <3