what to do with old server

got a server rack and 2 monitors and 2 servers one is a old ibm and the other is 44p model 170 any ideas what i can do with it 

well.. i'd need more than "some old IBM" to tell you how useful/useless they are :P

that said, if you can put the rack somewhere it's not in the way, hang on to it, that shit's expensive...

POWER3 is a very old architecture and you probably won't get any decent use out of them. The model 170 is going for around $500 on Ebay and you could probably get something similar for the other one depending on the model. You could use the money to get a much more modern server that will perform better while consuming less power.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

7 minutes ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

POWER3 is a very old architecture and you probably won't get any decent use out of them. The model 170 is going for around $500 on Ebay and you could probably get something similar for the other one depending on the model. You could use the money to get a much more modern server that will perform better while consuming less power.

20160930_182825.jpg

Give it to me. I use servers for various "reasons"

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

1 hour ago, Goodman2265 said:

Give it to me. I use servers for various "reasons"

yeah your "movie" collection

Just now, masterkickass7 said:

yeah your "movie" collection

Nah I use them for networking usually and for school. Sometimes mass data or running calculations. I basically use them like a University does. I do render Geographical locations with known oil deposits because I am interested in petroleum engineering

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

1 hour ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Take em apart and make jewelry out of the parts. I'm planning on wearing an athlon 64 around my neck -- should be an interesting fashion statement.

already did that with my pentium 4