Help with Corrupted HDD

agent6d9

Learned how to build a PC from their youtube channel and am trying to fix my computer before going to a computer repair shop as nothing I have found has fix my drive so far.

To start the windows start button, cortana, and mic don't work. Nothing I've found online works including work arounds such as creating another profile. It always says access is denied even though I am on the only account which is the administrator account.

When I try a basic scan on my HDD, everything comes back normal. However, when I go into the command and type in dism /online /clean-up image /scanhealth or restore health and then enter, it only gets to 5 to 12% before saying that the drive is corrupted and unreadable. I've tried to restore the drive to the last working point and it says access is denied. I tried telling the drive it's dirty and to clean once restarting and it always gets stuck on a % or goes all the way through maybe and doesn't fix the problem. I've probably hard reset the computer 100+ times which is why I think the drive is bad now. I was originally trying to change from ACHI to RAID mode in the BIOS which is where a lot of my cannot boot blue screens came up and possible where the issues may have started. I have no idea at this point. Wondering if anyone can provide more help and I'll give as many details as possible as I'm a new tech guy trying to diagnose my own computer problems and fix them rather than paying some repair shop and learning nothing.

Try re-installing Windows first. Looks like you have a really broken install.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

On 9/15/2016 at 11:24 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Try re-installing Windows first. Looks like you have a really broken install.

Ok Ill try doing that, but how do I do that?

On 9/15/2016 at 11:31 PM, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its probably a bad hdd. RMA it if you can.

Sorry what is RMA? It's so weird since it worked fine for several months before having all these issues.

5 hours ago, agent6d9 said:

Sorry what is RMA? It's so weird since it worked fine for several months before having all these issues.

return it

18 hours ago, agent6d9 said:

Ok Ill try doing that, but how do I do that?

Backup all of the data you want to keep whether it's save game files (if you're not using Steam or anything similar), documents, music, etc. This step is important because re-installing will wipe out all of the data on your hard drive. Any means of recovering data that you forgot to backup would be too big of a hassle. Get your Windows installation media and have your system boot from it. When asked what type of installation, perform a Custom Install. Format the drive you want to install Windows on and then click next. Leave the system for a bit as it installs Windows, it will restart several times. Once it's all done, follow the instructions to set up your Accounts and settings, and you'll be good to go. All that's left is to install any missing drivers, install back your programs, and copy over all your data from your backups.

You can follow this video from 3:34:

Yes, I know this is for Windows 7, but the Windows Installation hasn't changed for Windows 8/8.1 or 10.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Thanks Ill have to try this out because I cant even connect to the internet anymore and id bout lost all hope and was thinking just take it to the tech shop but I want to learn how to fix stuff not push it on other people and pay for it.

On 9/17/2016 at 10:11 PM, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Backup all of the data you want to keep whether it's save game files (if you're not using Steam or anything similar), documents, music, etc. This step is important because re-installing will wipe out all of the data on your hard drive. Any means of recovering data that you forgot to backup would be too big of a hassle. Get your Windows installation media and have your system boot from it. When asked what type of installation, perform a Custom Install. Format the drive you want to install Windows on and then click next. Leave the system for a bit as it installs Windows, it will restart several times. Once it's all done, follow the instructions to set up your Accounts and settings, and you'll be good to go. All that's left is to install any missing drivers, install back your programs, and copy over all your data from your backups.

You can follow this video from 3:34:

Yes, I know this is for Windows 7, but the Windows Installation hasn't changed for Windows 8/8.1 or 10.

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style." It says this for the SSD and HDD. I formatted the HDD and cannot get onto it anymore. Dafuq....

Welcome to the forums @agent6d9!

First, what brand of hard drive is it? Seagate? Western Digital?

I ask because you'll want to use a bootable tool such as SeaTools or WD DLG to check the drive for defects before you waste your time reinstalling windows.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)