Laptop Overclocking

tomcam

I was wondering if anyone out there new when it says on the processor 2.4 - 3.3 or whatever what does that mean for a laptop and how can we achieve that 3.3 and it it possible to surpass that and overclock it

You shouldn't over clock your laptop. The cooler is just not able to. Trust me leave it at stock. You might burn out the CPU if you do it. DON'T

Khalifa Komputer

Intel Core i5 2500K, Gigabyte P67a-UD4-B3, Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM, Generic DVD Writer, Seagate Barracuda 360GB + 1TB, MSI Radeon HD 6950 Twin Frozr III 1GB @ 6970,Corsair TX650M PSU, Bitfenix Shinobi Window

-=Wiz Khalifa|TGOD=-

What laptop are you using?

AMD Phenom II 955BE 4GHz@1.4v

Corsair H100 w/ Silverstone AP122

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 NB@2600MHz

G.Skill 2x4GB 7-7-7-21

XFX HD5870 Crossfire

128GB OCZ Vertex 4

2TB WD Green Raid 0

Corsair AX850

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced

So when it says the cpu can go from 2.4ghz to 3.3ghz, how does that happen?

It's from FSB throttling. Laptops are a little hard to OC, the best way is to use "pin mod" to fool the mobo into thinking the cpu is a higher fsb than it is.

Actually you might think about if you are gonna use the "pin mod" use a program like rmclock to undervolt your cpu.

Check THIS out.

G.Skill 2x4GB 7-7-7-21

XFX HD5870 Crossfire

128GB OCZ Vertex 4

2TB WD Green Raid 0

Corsair AX850

Thanks that really helped

How do you use turbo boost, through BIOS or software

Turbo Boost MAY have a setting in the BIOS but normally its just part of the chip.

G.Skill 2x4GB 7-7-7-21

XFX HD5870 Crossfire

128GB OCZ Vertex 4

2TB WD Green Raid 0

Corsair AX850

back when i had my ASUS G73 i used a program called SetFSB to overclock a little bit, (i got like 150 Mhz more than stock), answering your other question, if you want to leave the Procesor at constant high clock and you have a Sandy bridge or ivy, you just have to set the energy options to high performance and check that you have you minimum procesor state set to 100% under advanced settings on power plan options.

If you really wanna overclock something, you should bought a pc in the first place. A laptop will by default NOT overclock, and if you do manage to tweak around with tools and get a stable overclock with just a couple of MHz more, your battery will drain out faster.

In general, Laptops aren't meant to be OC'd unless you're talking about DTR(Desktop replacements). Even then, the overclock is very minor and usually through software(BLEH). There is no room in the laptop to support those massive heatsinks you see in desktops, and even if you squeeze an extra 100mhz out of your processor, benefits would be unnoticeable. Costs are increased temperatures and chance for your laptop to overheat/shortened lifespan of your laptop. If you want to overclock it's best like others have said to just buy a desktop solution.

TLDR: Don't do it, not worth it; buy a desktop if you want to OC.

Laptops generally aren't designed to be overclocked. They're fitted with crap CPU coolers and PSU's that might not exactly support overclocking. I'm sure it's possible, but it's a little on the risky side. If you want to overclock, have a go on a desktop PC first.

You shouldn't over clock your laptop. The cooler is just not able to. Trust me leave it at stock. You might burn out the CPU if you do it. DON'T

You won't burn out the CPU; my Thinkpad T410 (terrible laptop) had the fan die and was surviving pretty well getting up to 100 degrees, regularly.

I used my old laptop with overclocked cpu. Q9200 stock: 2.4GHz OC: 3.7GHz :D that was a beast. No overheating issues at all.

Hako: Gigabyte z490i, i5-10400F@4.3GHz, 16GB LPX 3200MHz, Intel 7600p 1TB,  AMD RX6800

Stuff: Ducky One 2 MiNi, Xtrfy M4 Retro, Asus VG259Q

Phone: Google Pixel 3XL NoT P!nk

Its a momentary boost in demanding programs and startup ... you have to do some woodoo to make run at that speed permanently ..

It might just shutdown on you if it overheats ... mine does when i play games sometimes over a long time ... Its like a safety valve ... but normally not worth it and you might void the warrenty

• 3 weeks later...

My old gateway laptop had to have the case replaced twice by gateway because the cpu would overheat and warp the plastic casing. It is only a single core clocked to 2.0 ghz. I couldn't imagine trying to overclock that thing. Don't worry about overclocking it because it probably won't let you anyway. If you want to overclock, get a desktop rig.

• 2 months later...

Its possible to overclock a laptop if you have an AMD CPU in it. You download the AMD Overdrive tool (don't do it if you didn't make your research) and you can overclock it. Its a software solution with are a bit crap. You need to start the program every time and overclock it to where you've been. But I've managed it with my Packard Bell Easynote with A4 3300 APU (I think) from 1.9GHz to 2.3GHz. But that's the maximum I can get with that. If I push it a bit higher than my laptop crashes and reaches critical temperatures above 85 degrees on full stress testing.

But buy a highend laptop in the first place if you want to game or do very demanding stuff on it. Or just get an a desktop pc ^_^

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

turbo boost is based on how low or high your cpu temps

the lower your temps, the better chance you get higher Turbo bin.

for example, on my Alienware M17x R3 with i7 2920XM

it could theoretically reach 3.5Ghz on single core and 3.2Ghz on all cores at full load.

most laptops doesn't have enough cooling performance to keep it running cool under load.

as an example, if I do video transcoding with all threads, the maximum frequency on all cores I could achieve is 3Ghz

however, if I run a prime95 burn test, it would only have a maximum frequency on all core of about 2.5Ghz

the reason is that it cant keep the cpu cool enough therefore turbo isn't activated as there is no more cooling headroom (TDP)

some laptops have the ability to overclock mobile cpu's

the current one's that I know that could do atleast 4.4Ghz on all cores @ full thread is Alienware M18x with 3Pipe CPU heatsink

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.