Question about IC Diamond Thermal Paste

So a few months ago when I built my PC, I bought IC Diamond from eBay but when I recently took my heatsink off to put on a new cooler I found that it hardened really badly, as in I had to forcefully pry the heatsink off my CPU and it smelled terrible (I didn't intentionally smell it). I don't feel like thermal paste should harden that easily and so I'm wondering if I may have gotten scammed into a fake thermal paste with an IC Diamond sticker on the tube.

yea that is really odd , how old is the tc? 

i personally use arctic MX2 and it never hardened, in years of usage 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

27 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

yea that is really odd , how old is the tc? 

i personally use arctic MX2 and it never hardened, in years of usage 

It shipped sometime in June and I replaced the heatsink in the middle of August.

wierd, very very wierd

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

6 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

wierd, very very wierd

Do you think I should buy new thermal paste?

yea , get a tube of mx2 , never dissapointed me 

PSU Tier list

IC Diamond is thicker out of the tube compared to most other TIMs, not surprised it seemed so stiff after use. But if you had to pry it apart then it was still doing it's job maintaining solid contact between the two surfaces.  Unless your temps were bad it sound like it was the real deal.