My first pc build! Update page 2

MkaiL

Hi guys, I've been reading on this forum for a while now and finally ordered my pc parts. I will pick them up this weekend if everything arrives on time. I'll post some pics when the build is finished.

Pc name: The Black Pearl

Parts list:

cpu: 6700k

cooler: Ek predator 360

gpu: Gtx 1070 (asus strix)

motherboard: Asus maximus VIII formula

case: Phanteks enthoo evolv tempered glass (black)

ram: G.skill Trident Z 2x8gb 3200 (black/white)

psu: Corsair rm750x

storage: Samsung 850 evo 250gb (expanding with another 500gb in the future)

peripherals: Lg 34" ultrawide, corsair k70 rgb rapidfire, logitech g502 spectrum

The rig will mainly be used for gaming.

I actually ordered 2 full systems from the same store. One for me and one for my little brother. I got him the same ram and gpu for his pc, so the plan is to add the gpu to my pc in a couple of years if things start slowing down and get him a new gpu. His system: 6700k, gtx 1070 strix, g.skill trident Z, s340 white, asus z170 pro, be quiet dark rock 3, sandisk ultra II 480gb, rm750x. 

Update 1

I picked up all the parts on Saturday:

Spoiler

1.jpg

I started building my brothers pc first:

Spoiler

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

This is his setup now (we cleaned up all the cables on the desk afterwards)

Spoiler

5.jpg

I started my build the same day:

Spoiler

6.jpg

Unfortunately the hub on my predator didn't work. All the components did work when I plugged them into the motherboard directly. But when I used the hub on the predator (powered by sata and connected to pwm CPU header), even the fans didn't work so I send the unit back and bought a be quiet cooler to use until I get a new predator.

I didn't bother doing cable management on my pc since I still have to put in the predator and probably will change the cables for custom sleeved ones.

Spoiler

7.jpg8.jpg

Finally, my setup:

9.jpg

Update 2

I finally got a new predator 360. This time I tested it outside the case before installing.

Spoiler

20160921_171136.jpg

20160921_181405.jpg20160921_214247.jpg

Too much...? lol

I chose it for the expandability. I might add a gpu block, but chances are low since the asus cooler does an excellent job. I wasn't ready for a custom loop so I chose the next best thing.

I hope to get a new one somewhere next week. I wanted to plug this one directly to the motherboard but the fan cables weren't long enough (just long enough to reach the hub on the rad). 

If you primarily are gonnna use this build for gaming, then a gtx 1080 with a 6600k would have been a better choice imo. :) an i7 makes sense if you are going to stream or do some video editing :) 

Anyways, congrats on your new build :D 

Prices for a 1080 are crazy here and I didn't really need it because I game on 1080p. The i7 was an easy choice, there was a discount and I got rainbow 6 siege (was planning on buying it) for free for buying the i7 which made the price difference very small. I do have plans for using the system for editing etc. 

EK Predator 360? Dude...I have one for my 6700k AND a Titan X Pascal waterblock I am about to install. That's over 360W of average load on that loop and forums show it runs ice cold. WAAAAAAY overkill for just the CPU. Get a Corsair H115i with some Thermaltake Riing or the new be quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans on it. More than enough.

Nice build. Got money to burn?

I also have an RMx power supply. The built-in capacitors make the cables rigid difficult to work with. I'll be upgrading them to cables with the caps which are closer to the middle.

Thanks guys, the glass looks even better in person. Really loving the case. 

@Aurummorituri

I'm planning on expanding the loop down the road so even if i'm not using it's full capacity, someday I will. Right now, I will enjoy the silence since the cooler won't have to do much. 

@jello77

The cables were a pain in the ***. I wasn't planning on getting sleeved cables but after installing these, I probably will. The 4+4 didn't fit because of the armor on the formula so I had to trim the connector a little bit. The 24pin barely fit but you can't bend the cable enough so now it's hitting the glass panel on the back (isn't putting strain on the connector luckily).

9 hours ago, jello77 said:

Nice build. Got money to burn?

I also have an RMx power supply. The built-in capacitors make the cables rigid difficult to work with. I'll be upgrading them to cables with the caps which are closer to the middle.

So that is why they have such stiff wrapped ends...hooray for Phanteks extensions! I have a RM850x, btw.

7 hours ago, MkaiL said:

Thanks guys, the glass looks even better in person. Really loving the case. 

@Aurummorituri

I'm planning on expanding the loop down the road so even if i'm not using it's full capacity, someday I will. Right now, I will enjoy the silence since the cooler won't have to do much. 

@jello77

The cables were a pain in the ***. I wasn't planning on getting sleeved cables but after installing these, I probably will. The 4+4 didn't fit because of the armor on the formula so I had to trim the connector a little bit. The 24pin barely fit but you can't bend the cable enough so now it's hitting the glass panel on the back (isn't putting strain on the connector luckily).

That Predator 360 was a PAIN IN THE @$$ to install in my Phanteks Luxe. It was so long and so thick that not even at an extreme angle could I work it past that hdd cage plate along the front area. I had to snap off the front facade, the tope facade, loosen at least a dozen screws, pry off the steel top, mount it to the top plate seperately, and then gently lower it back into place. Whew! Just had to rant. Feels great now that it is installed. Now, if it leaks...

Lucky that I got an evolv then. I just had to remove a cover and the hdd cage on the bottom and it fit right in. I even had room to put the rad in push/pull if I wanted. Too bad I had to send the predator back, I spend an hour putting the fans in push and cable manage to front mount the rad and now I have to start over (this time I will check first if everything works).

Be sure to run SATA power to it while it sits next to your pc to check for leaks. The cpu block, despite a revision, is still apparently prone to leaky o-rings. It is weird that we have the same Diasonic lamp? 

Oh, and are you mounting that thing up top? I had an Evolv mATX and it gave me hell with exhaust flow from the top radiator. Those piddly slits are not great for maximum airflow. Be careful not to choke your rad with hot air from your gpu.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check for leaks first outside the case. My lamp is from dreamled but it is exactly the same lol.

I'm putting the rad in the front (just like in the picture). The evolv has space in the front for a push/pull but i'm just gonna use it in push.

Great choices man. You are fortunate to be able to buy some of these for your first build :P I won a x99 ultra gaming mobo from Gigabyte and I'm still trying to comprehend the cost of a x99 build :D I'm Rekt basically. Lol enjoy the new rig! Maybe once you get your new EK Predator cooler get custom cables from cable mods for Detailed finishing touches 

This is very nice for a first build! My first build was like Frankenstein's monster haha... :P That was a mega pile of shiny new stuff, its making me excited just looking at the picture :D

What is the keyboard like? I was thinking of buying one.

@AshleyC

Thanks, definitely getting custom sleeved cables. Probably a combo of black, grey and white. Congrats on winning the motherboard, if you can't buy a haswell cpu, sell the board and get a cheaper z170?

@AshWallis

Thanks, I took some time planning and saving for my build to avoid that haha. The keyboard feels awesome, but it's my first mechanical so I can't really compare to anything else. 

19 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

@AshleyC

Thanks, definitely getting custom sleeved cables. Probably a combo of black, grey and white. Congrats on winning the motherboard, if you can't buy a haswell cpu, sell the board and get a cheaper z170?

@AshWallis

Thanks, I took some time planning and saving for my build to avoid that haha. The keyboard feels awesome, but it's my first mechanical so I can't really compare to anything else. 

Lol I live in South Africa, the hardware prices are higher here unfortunately I was hoping to go with a 6800k over 5820k since it's like a R500 difference but that goes into the price range of +- R7500 :D hahaha and I tried advertising it for sale but nobody wants a x99 board and the cheapest good z170 board is around R3500 so I'm hoping for a miracle here. Ultimately I just want a really good PC for a work rig, gaming is secondary :P make sure you post pics when you get the new cooler and cable mod! Looking forward to seeing it :) 

Of course the predator drops €60 in price, two weeks after I buy it. Worst part is I still didn't get a replacement :dry:

Just got my new predator, pics in 1st post :D

Next up are sleeved cables and an rgb led strip for the aura header on my motherboard.