Motherboard RAID arrays

Hi guys,  I just built my new system however, I under compensated for the size of my Gpus and no longer have space for a RAID card and so I have a few questions about motherboard RAID. I am using a n Asus X99 Deluxe II

1. As I already have a RAID0 array on my motherboard, will it be able to support another RAID5 array?

2. How will I manage and reconstruct the RAID5 array should a drive fail?

i7-5930K@4.7Ghz | Asus X99-E-WS/USB 3.1 | Corsair Vengance 32GB DDR4@2666Mhz | Duo Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming | Samsung 950Pro 512GB | LSI 9260-8i RAID Card | 6x 1TB Samsung 850 Pro (RAID5) | Corsair AX1200i |  Fractal Design Defiine R5 Black | MetaDot DasKeyboard4 Professional | Logitech G900 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Asus PG348Q

yes, you can have multiple arrays running at once. You can reconstruct the array in your intel rapid storage technology software.

7 minutes ago, bloodstrike11 said:

1. As I already have a RAID0 array on my motherboard, will it be able to support another RAID5 array?

2. How will I manage and reconstruct the RAID5 array should a drive fail?

1. Yes, you will be able to control up to 6 drives on that one controller.  Since you are using at least two for your current RAID 0, that leaves 4 that you can use to creat a separate array.

2. As @EnemySp0tt3d stated, you would rebuild the array via the Intel IRST in BIOS or Windows.  You will need to install the IRST software for use in Windows.

Just now, done12many2 said:

1. Yes, you will be able to control up to 6 drives on that one controller.  Since you are using at least two for your current RAID 0, that leaves 4 that you can use to creat a separate array.

2. As @EnemySp0tt3d stated, you would rebuild the array via the Intel IRST in BIOS or Windows.  You will need to install the IRST software for use in Windows.

I don't think that you can do it from the bios, for my motherboard, it only gives me the option to make an array and delete it.

10 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

yes, you can have multiple arrays running at once. You can reconstruct the array in your intel rapid storage technology software.

Thanks. Will it be seriously bottlenecked though?

i7-5930K@4.7Ghz | Asus X99-E-WS/USB 3.1 | Corsair Vengance 32GB DDR4@2666Mhz | Duo Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming | Samsung 950Pro 512GB | LSI 9260-8i RAID Card | 6x 1TB Samsung 850 Pro (RAID5) | Corsair AX1200i |  Fractal Design Defiine R5 Black | MetaDot DasKeyboard4 Professional | Logitech G900 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Asus PG348Q

Just now, bloodstrike11 said:

No not at all. Raid controllers are mainly used for servers. Its basically the same thing, its just integrated on your chipset.

8 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

I don't think that you can do it from the bios, for my motherboard, it only gives me the option to make an array and delete it.

The option to do so will not appear until a drive falls out of the array.

8 minutes ago, bloodstrike11 said:

You'll be limited to the DMI 2.0 limit of 2 GB/s.  Factor in overhead for a usable 1.8 GB/s, which is what I'm getting out of one of my SSD arrays.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

The option to do so will not appear until a drive falls out of the array.

Ah, Alright. When my drives failed, it wasn't the ones that were connected to windows, so I wouldn't know.

15 minutes ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

No not at all. Raid controllers are mainly used for servers. Its basically the same thing, its just integrated on your chipset.

but it will be slower as the chip is slower and using your cpu for the raid calculations(i think) and there is no cache or bbu.