Running a Processor at max temperature?

This is just a theoretical question but, say you were running your processor at 100C. What kind of effect would that have on the lifespan of your processor?

6 minutes ago, Jack_Holmes said:

This is just a theoretical question but, say you were running your processor at 100C. What kind of effect would that have on the lifespan of your processor?

Tjmax is 100C... Not the max safe temp... It would shorten the lifespan of your CPU considerably... 

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

To max is 100C... Not the max safe temp... It would shorten the lifespan of your CPU considerably... 

How badly is considerably? A year? Two? Or maybe more?

In this case, "considerably" means the PC shuts itself off at that temperature because if it didn't it might be likely to not turn back on again.

TJMax.  It is an emergency shutoff, not a "hey this would be nice" shutoff.

2 minutes ago, Jack_Holmes said:

How badly is considerably? A year? Two? Or maybe more?

Why do you care... Do you intend to not cool your CPU properly? Heatsinks sell for as low as $10...

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

10 hours ago, Yamoto42 said:

In this case, "considerably" means the PC shuts itself off at that temperature, because if it didn't it might be likely to not turn back on again.

Well, that doesn't sound like fun

10 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Why do you care... Do you intend to not cool your CPU properly? Heatsinks sell for as low as $10...

I'm just wondering man

Just now, Jack_Holmes said:

I'm just wondering man

Hmm, Idk how much life it will shave off of your CPU... But I know one thing for sure... It will... 

8 minutes ago, Jack_Holmes said:

I'm just wondering man

It's simple, nobody knows how long your chip will last at or near TjMax.  

If you're that curious, disable the F1 warning in BIOS and then disconnect the fan to your heatsink.  Reboot and start using your computer until it no longer works.  You're going to have a lot of shutdowns along your journey, but keep rebooting it until you kill it.  

Post back in a couple of years letting us know how that turned out for you.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

It's simple, nobody knows how long your chip will last at or near TjMax.  

If you're that curious, disable the F1 warning in BIOS and then disconnect the fan to your heatsink.  Reboot and start using your computer until it no longer works.  You're going to have a lot of shutdowns along your journey, but keep rebooting it until you kill it.  

Post back in a couple of years letting us know how that turned out for you.

lmao, wanna see who can kill their 5960x first?

CPU: I7 5960X @4612 MHZ/1.325Vcore | Cooler: Full custom loop | Mobo: Asus X-99A | GPU: 2 EVGA 980 TI Classifieds | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GBs 3200 MHZ | Storage: Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 Drive, Mushkin Eco2 512 GB SSD, Muskin Chronos 480 GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX 1000i | Case: Fractal define R5 | Monitor: LG 34UC87M-B

Just now, z97 said:

lmao, wanna see who can kill their 5960x first?

Man, I've done some unbelievable shit to my 5960x and it just keeps on ticking.  There's no killing it.  haha

20 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Tjmax is 100C... Not the max safe temp... It would shorten the lifespan of your CPU considerably... 

how long is the lifespan of your cpu?

i'm not saying you're wrong, i'm saying that it doesnt necessarily hold a lot of truth because the base parameters are as of yet undecided.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

Man, I've done some unbelievable shit to my 5960x and it just keeps on ticking.  There's no killing it.  haha

I know lmao. I tried for 4.7 the other day. 1.365 volts and it was like NAH blue screen after 8 minutes of aida

CPU: I7 5960X @4612 MHZ/1.325Vcore | Cooler: Full custom loop | Mobo: Asus X-99A | GPU: 2 EVGA 980 TI Classifieds | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GBs 3200 MHZ | Storage: Samsung SM951 512 GB M.2 Drive, Mushkin Eco2 512 GB SSD, Muskin Chronos 480 GB SSD | PSU: Corsair HX 1000i | Case: Fractal define R5 | Monitor: LG 34UC87M-B

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i'm not saying you're wrong, i'm saying that it doesnt necessarily hold a lot of truth because the base parameters are as of yet undecided.

Yes and no...As long as we're only talking 3 digits (kelvin) we're only talking probability anyways.  Ultimately the entire discussion isn't particularly constructive (even if just theory) other than to say "don't do it."

3 minutes ago, z97 said:

I know lmao. I tried for 4.7 the other day. 1.365 volts and it was like NAH blue screen after 8 minutes of aida

I've got 4.7 CPU and 4.6 cache doing nicely at 1.395v.  It jumps to just over 1.4v under load during AIDA64 and OCCT stress tests, but it's doing well.  When using Asus TCT, I run 4.8 GHz with a 4.7 throttle.  4.8 GHz for daily use on a 5960x is pretty bad ass.

4 minutes ago, Yamoto42 said:

Yes and no...As long as we're only talking 3 digits (kelvin) we're only talking probability anyways.  Ultimately the entire discussion isn't particularly constructive (even if just theory) other than to say "don't do it."

well, it's a proven science that temperatures (and overclocking as well basicly) decrease the chip's lifespan, the thing is that outside of horrendous clocks over long periods of time, or "overclocking death runs" the effect is pretty hard to even measure properly overtop of "the silicon lotery"

9 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I've got 4.7 CPU and 4.6 cache doing nicely at 1.395v.  It jumps to just over 1.4v under load during AIDA64 and OCCT stress tests, but it's doing well.  When using Asus TCT, I run 4.8 GHz with a 4.7 throttle.  4.8 GHz for daily use on a 5960x is pretty bad ass.

Yeah... my dual rad wont handle that heat lol.

What happened with your 6950x?

Just now, z97 said:

Yeah... my dual rad wont handle that heat lol.

What happened with your 6950x?

It wasn't what I wanted.  With both overclocked to their max stable clocks, single core performance of the 5960x was beating out the 6950x quite nicely.  

One of the first things I did when I got the 6950x was I disabled two of the cores to run it with 8 cores in a better comparison with the 5960x.  The 6950x still had more cache so I expected that and IPC improvements to result in the 6950x still beating out the 5960x with 8 cores only, but it didn't.  It was quite a bit slower.  In my case, raw frequency was able to beat out the IPC and cache improvements.  

This is not to say that the 6950x with all 10 cores firing wasn't faster because it was, but that was only in multi-thread optimized software that actually used all of the cores efficiently.  My 5960x beat it everywhere else so I returned the 6950x.

I prefer high single threaded performance while maintaining the option to use the additional cores when needed.

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

It wasn't what I wanted.  With both overclocked to their max stable clocks, single core performance of the 5960x was beating out the 6950x quite nicely.  

One of the first things I did when I got the 6950x was I disabled two of the cores to run it with 8 cores in a better comparison with the 5960x.  The 6950x still had more cache so I expected that and IPC improvements to result in the 6950x still beating out the 5960x with 8 cores only, but it didn't.  It was quite a bit slower.  In my case, raw frequency was able to beat out the IPC and cache improvements.  

This is not to say that the 6950x with all 10 cores firing wasn't faster because it was, but that was only in multi-thread optimized software that actually used all of the cores efficiently.  My 5960x beat it everywhere else so I returned the 6950x.

I prefer high single threaded performance while maintaining the option to use the additional cores when needed.

I'm glad I didn't jump the gun and get one. They don't get a great OC do they?

2 minutes ago, z97 said:

I'm glad I didn't jump the gun and get one. They don't get a great OC do they?

The one I had was actually a great one.  It would do 4.5 across all 10 cores, but with only 8, it couldn't match my 5960x at  just over the 4.7 mark or more.

Look at 6900k CPU scores in Cinebench and other CPU measuring benchmarks like Time Spy CPU scores, Fire Strike CPU scores and the like.  You'll see what I'm talking about. 

6950x @ 4.5 OCCT Stress Test.jpg

11 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

The one I had was actually a great one.  It would do 4.5 across all 10 cores, but with only 8, it couldn't match my 5960x at  just over the 4.7 mark or more.

Look at 6900k CPU scores in Cinebench and other CPU measuring benchmarks like Time Spy CPU scores, Fire Strike CPU scores and the like.  You'll see what I'm talking about. 

6950x @ 4.5 OCCT Stress Test.jpg

I've been so far out of the computer game lately. Car has just put a HUGE hole in my pocket trying to get 350 NA wheel haha.

Just now, z97 said:

I've been so far out of the computer game lately. Car has just put a HUGE hole in my pocket trying to get 350 NA wheel haha.

Haha.  I gave up on NA years ago.  It was fun trying to get the most I could NA, but it was just too much work.  I ended up going the ways of boost.  :D

4 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

Haha.  I gave up on NA years ago.  It was fun trying to get the most I could NA, but it was just too much work.  I ended up going the ways of boost.  :D

My wallet doesn't like the costs of boost lol. like 7G for the super charger kit or 10 for the twin turbos :|

1 minute ago, z97 said:

My wallet doesn't like the costs of boost lol. like 7G for the super charger kit or 10 for the twin turbos :|

I'm running a Magnusson blower, hence the photo of my license plate.  :D  Blower cam, exhaust, injectors, fuel delivery, gears, and so on.  It does pretty good for a grocery getter.

Just now, done12many2 said:

I'm running a Magnusson blower, hence the photo of my license plate.  :D  Blower cam, exhaust, injectors, fuel delivery, gears, and so on.  It does pretty good for a grocery getter.

I'm about to just say screw it and go buy a WS6 and mod it to death.

So far it's just cold air

Exhaust

Tune happens the 10th

To be done:

Upper plenum

headers (I can't find long tubes for my car :( )

You on E85 or just bigger injectors?

6 minutes ago, z97 said:

I'm about to just say screw it and go buy a WS6 and mod it to death.

So far it's just cold air

Exhaust

Tune happens the 10th

To be done:

Upper plenum

headers (I can't find long tubes for my car :( )

You on E85 or just bigger injectors?

WS6 is awesome!!  

I'm running big injectors and a ZL1 pump with a boost pump pushing that.  We were running out of fuel with just the injectors and ZL1 pump so I had to add the boost pump.