Canada (as some of you know it, great white north) Internet.

RealBuizel10

I live in western canada and its burning at the moment. 30 degrees today (86 f) and I live in a city where houses go over 2 million but you can get apartments easily called Vancouver.

I pay 80 dollars a month for this internet (shaw wideopen 150):

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/55828656275582865627.png

Used to be Buizel10. Forgot email password and LTT password. Check that account for my info.

O Canada ---- Vancouver, BC ----- Live 40km from LTT Office

wow that's a damn good deal compared to what we have here 1 province over...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

wow that's a damn good deal compared to what we have here 1 province over...

What province? this deal is avalible from Shaw in BC,AB and MB

Used to be Buizel10. Forgot email password and LTT password. Check that account for my info.

Just now, IskanderEXC said:

Jesus christ what are you doing downloading the internet??

IDK im a youtuber and my brother is a streamer

Just now, RealBuizel10 said:

IDK im a youtuber and my brother is a streamer

Your speeds are insane. I have a buisness package where I live and all I get on a fantastic day is like 30 down and 4 up

Just now, IskanderEXC said:

Your speeds are insane. I have a buisness package where I live and all I get on a fantastic day is like 30 down and 4 up

what country and ISP. I want people to share their speeds and ISP.

Just now, RealBuizel10 said:

what country and ISP. I want people to share their speeds and ISP.

ISP: Charter

Download: 30

Upload: 4

Ping: 12

3 minutes ago, RealBuizel10 said:

What province? this deal is avalible from Shaw in BC,AB and MB

I think there's a sale or something at the moment but it's normally like $130 / month or more... and I would have expected them to stick to the 150 cap and not let you get 175

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I think there's a sale or something at the moment but it's normally like $130 / month or more... and I would have expected them to stick to the 150 cap and not let you get 175

2 year contract. Wideopen 150 80/ month for existing 40/month for new

Just now, Adreyu said:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5582885126

I pay about 110 dollars a month for this. Ontario about 2 hours outside of Toronto

what isp and what plan

I'm in Ontario, Canada.

At work we have:

100/100 synchronous Fibre straight to the building (FTTH), w/ unlimited Data. But this is a business level plan with an insanely tight SLA. We pay over a thousand CAD for it per month.

We also have access to a Private Fibre network run by the local government, that interconnects schools, hospitals, local gov't offices, etc. We use this private fibre network to directly connect all our branches (5 locations total across the city) to each other at 1Gbps speeds, and it's all on VLAN's so that our network treats these connections as internal LAN connections. The infrastructure is capable of higher speeds too, as one of the schools recently upgraded their equipment and now can run 10Gbps over the private fibre lines.

At home I have:

150/10 DOCSIS 3.0, w/ 400GB/mo data cap. I pay ~$100/mo for it (including taxes) - this is a grandfathered plan through TekSavvy that they no longer offer.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 minutes ago, RealBuizel10 said:

what isp and what plan

Rogers, and my plan is kind of a custom thing, it was originally  90 for 8megabytes down 1 up with 300gb limit on a 2 year contract and then i talked to them about how I work from home and they offered me unlimited and 16megabytes down instead for 110 dollars. so its not like a conventional plan as far as I know.

I pay 57$/month for 20/10 (and 400GB download cap) with Teksavvy, who is a reseller of Bell and Videotron... I really feel like we're getting the short hand of the stick in Quebec.

$80 would get me 60/10, with a lower download cap.

To even get anywhere near the OP's 175/15, I would need to pay $140 for 200/30.

But, apparently, they now offer Fiber, at $150, 945/50 with unlimited download. (but not available in my Area in Montreal apparently...)

None of these prices include taxes...

If only it was affordable and not overpriced like that.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

I'm in Ontario, Canada.

At work we have:

100/100 synchronous Fibre straight to the building (FTTH), w/ unlimited Data. But this is a business level plan with an insanely tight SLA. We pay over a thousand CAD for it per month.

We also have access to a Private Fibre network run by the local government, that interconnects schools, hospitals, local gov't offices, etc. We use this private fibre network to directly connect all our branches (5 locations total across the city) to each other at 1Gbps speeds, and it's all on VLAN's so that our network treats these connections as internal LAN connections. The infrastructure is capable of higher speeds too, as one of the schools recently upgraded their equipment and now can run 10Gbps over the private fibre lines.

At home I have:

150/10 DOCSIS 3.0, w/ 400GB/mo data cap. I pay ~$100/mo for it (including taxes) - this is a grandfathered plan through TekSavvy that they no longer offer.

Shaw says "1tb cap" but in reality they dont charge it, sometimes i go over and they threaten me but nothing happens

Just now, Adreyu said:

Rogers, and my plan is kind of a custom thing, it was originally  90 for 8megabytes down 1 up with 300gb limit on a 2 year contract and then i talked to them about how I work from home and they offered me unlimited and 16megabytes down instead for 110 dollars. so its not like a conventional plan as far as I know.

I have to ask:

Do you mean 8 MegaBYTES, or 8 MegaBITS? Because they're totally different. ISP speeds are advertised in BITS, not BYTES. Download speeds (Eg: Through Steam or your web browser), are listed in BYTES.

16 MegaBYTES per second equals:

8 bits per byte

16 * 8 = 128 Mbps (Megabits per second).

It's important when talking about networking and internet speeds to use the right units of measurement :)

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Just now, TetraSky said:

I pay 57$/month for 20/10 (and 400GB download cap)... I really feel like we're getting the short hand of the stick in Quebec.

$80 would get me 60/10, with a lower download cap.

To even get anywhere near the OP's 175/15, I would need to pay $140 for 200/30.

But, apparently, they now offer Fiber, at $145, 945/50 with unlimited download. (but not available in my Area in Montreal apparently...)

None of these prices include taxes...

If only it was affordable and not overpriced like that.

I invite you to live in Western Canada! We have: overpriced homes (a million is extremely cheap), tiny condos for 600 thousand dollars, great public transport and 4 freeways and horrible traffic for all 2 million people that live here.

Just now, dalekphalm said:

I have to ask:

Do you mean 8 MegaBYTES, or 8 MegaBITS? Because they're totally different. ISP speeds are advertised in BITS, not BYTES. Download speeds (Eg: Through Steam or your web browser), are listed in BYTES.

16 MegaBYTES per second equals:

8 bits per byte

16 * 8 = 128 Mbps (Megabits per second).

It's important when talking about networking and internet speeds to use the right units of measurement :)

I know lol thats why i specified megabytes instead of just writing mb. its MegaBYTES

Shaw says "1tb cap" but in reality they dont charge it, sometimes i go over and they threaten me but nothing happens

Well, you're on a consumer plan, so of course they'll warn you.

We're on an Enterprise Fibre plan, so we're guaranteed unlimited data.

I invite you to live in Western Canada! We have: overpriced homes (a million is extremely cheap), tiny condos for 600 thousand dollars, great public transport and 4 freeways and horrible traffic for all 2 million people that live here.

The situation isn't really any better over here. We have man made traffic due to road/bridge repairs for the next 10 years or so and home pricing keep going up and up on Montreal island, the surroundings are also starting to get affected.
Though it's certainly not as bad as Vancouver in that aspect, yet.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I always thought symmetrical speed was a standard in the first world country's. 

I have 50/50 (I usually get about 60/60) with axtel in Mexico. Here you can have up to 300/300 for about 90 usd. 

Just now, TetraSky said:

The situation isn't really any better over here. We have man made traffic due to road/bridge repairs for the next 10 years or so and home pricing keep going up and up on Montreal island, the surroundings are also starting to get affected.
Though it's certainly now as bad as Vancouver in that aspect.

Canada FTW!!! :D   Plus you get to live near Linus

I pay $70 a month with basic telephone and basic TV for 50/50 Unlimited. Im in Ontario and this is from Cogeco

He who asks is stupid for 5 minutes. He who does not ask, remains stupid. -Chinese proverb. 

Those who know much are aware that they know little. - Slick roasting me

Spoiler

AXIOM

CPU- Intel i5-6500 GPU- EVGA 1060 6GB Motherboard- Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H RAM- 8GB HyperX DDR4-2133 PSU- EVGA GQ 650w HDD- OEM 750GB Seagate Case- NZXT S340 Mouse- Logitech Gaming g402 Keyboard-  Azio MGK1 Headset- HyperX Cloud Core

Offical first poster LTT V2.0

1 minute ago, Adreyu said:

I know lol thats why i specified megabytes instead of just writing mb. its MegaBYTES

Strange that you would use that notation to list your speed, that's all :)

And don't take offence to my questions - you'd be surprised how many times people come in and say "My 10mb internet plan is too slow!"

Do they mean 10Mbps, which is rather slow, or do they mean 10MB/s, which is actually pretty damn fast by most standards.