Gigabyte Xtreme Gaming Gtx 970 psu?

MajorGoob

I have an AMD Fx 8300 that I plan to overclock to about 4 ghz with a Corsair CX600m. The Gigabyte xtreme gaming whatever (I will call it the Gigabyte shiny 970 because it lights up and because who can remember the name.) is currently 230 dollars on newegg. The Gigabyte Shiny 970 has two 8 pin connectors and says it needs a 600 watt power supply. Both of which I have, but I am not sure about the amperage and stuff considering it is two in line 8 pin connectors. Thanks in advance.

EDIT. Yes I already checked the thread on power supply wattage. I didnt know if the gigbyte shiny 970 was considered a normal 970.

ERROR: VAR_TRAINOFTHOUGHT RETURN CHAR(MISSING)

RESTART  BRAINTHOUGHTS_MAJORGOOB.EXE?

Y                             N

~               

Well, 600W is more than enough for the 970, but the FX-8300 overclock will be really power-hungry... Try this to have a better idea

And if I could give you my opinion, a RX 480 or GTX 1060 would be better than a 970 by quite a margin, provided that you can find them for around 250$. 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

Your PSU isn´t an issue. However there are better options to the 970. Namely RX480 and 1060, just like ^ said.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

22 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

Well, 600W is more than enough for the 970, but the FX-8300 overclock will be really power-hungry... Try this to have a better idea

And if I could give you my opinion, a RX 480 or GTX 1060 would be better than a 970 by quite a margin, provided that you can find them for around 250$. 

15 minutes ago, racer243l said:

Your PSU isn´t an issue. However there are better options to the 970. Namely RX480 and 1060, just like ^ said.

I wanted the RX480 really badly, but this just happens to be cheaper and in stock. I cant really order the 480 as soon as it is in stock thanks to the fact that I ALWAYS GET THE NOTIFICATION WHEN I AM OUT OF THE HOUSE. I was actually looking at the 470 instead. Its the exact same card as the 480 just with a block of cpu disabled.

~               

1 minute ago, MajorGoob said:

I wanted the RX480 really badly, but this just happens to be cheaper and in stock. I cant really order the 480 as soon as it is in stock thanks to the fact that I ALWAYS GET THE NOTIFICATION WHEN I AM OUT OF THE HOUSE. I was actually looking at the 470 instead. Its the exact same card as the 480 just with a block of cpu disabled.

Then get a RX470 8GB

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X PBO GPU: Asus Strix RTX 3090 OC Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3600Mhz CL17

CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i Capillex Storage: Samsung 980 Pro and 970 Evo 1TB Samsung 860 EVO 1TB Crucial MX300 525GB WD Black 2TB PSU: Corsair HX1000 Case: Corsair 500D SE RGB 6x LL120

1 hour ago, racer243l said:

Then get a RX470 8GB

Those are also literally always out of stock and are kind of overpriced seeing as how an 8 GB 470 is like 20 dollars less than an 8 GB 480.

2 hours ago, MajorGoob said:

I have an AMD Fx 8300 that I plan to overclock to about 4 ghz with a Corsair CX600m. The Gigabyte xtreme gaming whatever (I will call it the Gigabyte shiny 970 because it lights up and because who can remember the name.) is currently 230 dollars on newegg. The Gigabyte Shiny 970 has two 8 pin connectors and says it needs a 600 watt power supply. Both of which I have, but I am not sure about the amperage and stuff considering it is two in line 8 pin connectors. Thanks in advance.

EDIT. Yes I already checked the thread on power supply wattage. I didnt know if the gigbyte shiny 970 was considered a normal 970.

600W is enough but I would not pair a CX600M with a 970. It's just of not super good quality. An EVGA B2 750W has enough wattage for SLI and is a far better PSU, especially considering value.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

8 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Those are also literally always out of stock and are kind of overpriced seeing as how an 8 GB 470 is like 20 dollars less than an 8 GB 480.

600W is enough but I would not pair a CX600M with a 970. It's just of not super good quality. An EVGA B2 750W has enough wattage for SLI and is a far better PSU, especially considering value.

I actually just bought it. So new psu is out of the picture

~               

5 hours ago, MajorGoob said:

I actually just bought it. So new psu is out of the picture

Return it, get a refund, and get a better PSU for the same price?

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

37 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Return it, get a refund, and get a better PSU for the same price?

That was the best psu by a brand I knew I could trust. (Some friends I have have used corsair psus. One has a 500 watt with a fx6300 running a msi gtx 970 somehow.) plus it was like 40 or 50 dollars on sale. And its been several months, so a return is out of the picture unfortunately.

~               

13 minutes ago, MajorGoob said:

That was the best psu by a brand I knew I could trust. (Some friends I have have used corsair psus. One has a 500 watt with a fx6300 running a msi gtx 970 somehow.) plus it was like 40 or 50 dollars on sale. And its been several months, so a return is out of the picture unfortunately.

Well, OK, I wouldn't pair it with a 970 myself but I guess you've got it and are stuck with it. If you ever do a big system upgrade like a new case or GPU then I'd grab a new PSU with it.

9 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

Well, OK, I wouldn't pair it with a 970 myself but I guess you've got it and are stuck with it. If you ever do a big system upgrade like a new case or GPU then I'd grab a new PSU with it.

Wasnt planning on getting a 970 unless the PSU could for sure 100 percent run it. Just thought it was a good deal. But I do need a GPU. Currently running an ancient GT 610 because I ran out of money.

~               

14 minutes ago, MajorGoob said:

Wasnt planning on getting a 970 unless the PSU could for sure 100 percent run it. Just thought it was a good deal. But I do need a GPU. Currently running an ancient GT 610 because I ran out of money.

You can get a different PSU down the line, don't worry too much, just don't overclock the card and make sure you have a fair amount of system airflow and I wouldn't worry yourself over it too much.

On 8/26/2016 at 11:22 AM, STRMfrmXMN said:

You can get a different PSU down the line, don't worry too much, just don't overclock the card and make sure you have a fair amount of system airflow and I wouldn't worry yourself over it too much.

Currently have an NZXT S340 with one exhaust fan in the back, one intake in the front, and a CRYORIG H7. Plenty of airflow. But I think I will just go for a new AMD.

~