Hard Drive usage stuck at 100% after upgrade

I just got a GTX 1070 and a new power supply. I turned on my pc after installing the new parts and it worked ok for a little while. Then I just did a restart and now it is taking an insane amount of time to boot, log in, and in general do anything. The hard drive utilization is pinned at 100% (which I imagine is the reason it is running so slowly). I cant figure out what is wrong. PLEASE HELP

After installing you should have left the PC on for several hours for it to finish detecting your hardware and installing drivers.

You probably interrupted something by shutting down.

If the hard drive usage doesn't drop after a few hours of leaving it alone then you should try installing again.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

After installing you should have left the PC on for several hours for it to finish detecting your hardware and installing drivers.

You probably interrupted something by shutting down.

If the hard drive usage doesn't drop after a few hours of leaving it alone then you should try installing again.

A few hours for drivers? Are you insane?

Just now, Verrierr said:

A few hours for drivers? Are you insane?

Really depends on how fast your internet connection, storage drive, and CPU is.

For me it usually only takes a few minutes, but on a crappy laptop it can take a long time.

It has to detect all the hardware and peripherals, search for the drivers online, download them and install.

Windows 10 makes this easy by doing it for you but if you turn off the PC right after installing the OS then you can have problems.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

6 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Really depends on how fast your internet connection, storage drive, and CPU is.

For me it usually only takes a few minutes, but on a crappy laptop it can take a long time.

It has to detect all the hardware and peripherals, search for the drivers online, download them and install.

Windows 10 makes this easy by doing it for you but if you turn off the PC right after installing the OS then you can have problems.

I didn't install a new OS just GTX 1070 and a new power supply. I'll try turning it on and letting it run for a little while

5 minutes ago, fnavy88 said:

I didn't install a new OS just GTX 1070 and a new power supply. I'll try turning it on and letting it run for a little while

Oh I see, yeah turn it on and leave it on.

If you check task manager it's probably one of the windows svchost processes or something that's using all the disk.

You can also try checking for windows updates and installing anything that is there.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Oh I see, yeah turn it on and leave it on.

If you check task manager it's probably one of the windows svchost processes or something that's using all the disk.

You can also try checking for windows updates and installing anything that is there.

It is svchost, I dont know what it is so I didnt touch it. Should I stop it?

5 minutes ago, fnavy88 said:

It is svchost, I dont know what it is so I didnt touch it. Should I stop it?

NO don't, it's doing stuff.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

That's what I figured. what is it. (Probably a newb wuestion but still)

1 minute ago, fnavy88 said:

That's what I figured. what is it. (Probably a newb wuestion but still)

It's a windows system process.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

The top utilizer now is MsMpEng.exe I have no clue what that is

7 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

It's windows defender i think, it's scanning your hdd probably

And why is that? How can I tell if that is the case? If it is, what do I do?

1 minute ago, fnavy88 said:

And why is that? How can I tell if that is the case? If it is, what do I do?

1. And why it wouldn't be?

2. Google process name and you'll find out what it does.

3. You wait till it's over, scanning your HDD for malware is the most basic step of periodical maintenance

16 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

1. And why it wouldn't be?

2. Google process name and you'll find out what it does.

3. You wait till it's over, scanning your HDD for malware is the most basic step of periodical maintenance

Sure but it usually doesn't lock ny whole system up to the point that it is unusable

13 minutes ago, fnavy88 said:

Sure but it usually doesn't lock ny whole system up to the point that it is unusable

DId you remove old graphic drivers before putting in new GPU?

25 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

DId you remove old graphic drivers before putting in new GPU?

Yes

14 minutes ago, fnavy88 said:

Yes

You could try running some kind of drivers cleaning software to make sure everything's fine. By the way what was your previous GPU?

26 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

You could try running some kind of drivers cleaning software to make sure everything's fine. By the way what was your previous GPU?

GT 720. What kind of cleaner would you recommend

2 minutes ago, fnavy88 said:

GT 720. What kind of cleaner would you recommend

Display Driver Uninstaller seems like obvious choice.

53 minutes ago, Verrierr said:

Display Driver Uninstaller seems like obvious choice.

The small problem is the computer is running so slow I doubt I could install and run any software

Just now, fnavy88 said:

The small problem is the computer is running so slow I doubt I could install and run any software

Boot into safe mode