Audiophile grade headphone suggestion

heartlezj

you might want to try something used. Check out the head-fi.org b/s/t.

headphone.com has graphs of most higher end headphones so you can see what kind of sound they will have.

graphs aren't the end all to deciding but they can help make a decision if you know what sound signature you want.

ath-m50's seem to be one of the most recommended headphones currently.

I'd recommend you look into shures. I like my shure 840's over my senns hd595's for music.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

It's 100€, people, not $100. We get pretty bad prices on Audio Technicas.

I own a pair of audio technica ATH A500X http://eu.audio-technica.com/en/products/product.asp?catID=5&subID=37&prodID=4258

really really nice headphones, they were £140, bit more than your budget, but if it speaks anything of audio technica generally, i'd go with something from them.

The ATH A500Xs have a really balanced sound, very true to the recording. Much more like a studio reference headphone tbh, but just a beautiful job of just about anything I've thrown at them. Get something with a headphone amp, Xonar DGX or better, or an outboard headphone amp, but headphone amp needed!

SENNHEISER HD380 pro Maybye a litte over 100€ depending on your retailer. Pretty uncolored sound, great frequnacy response, and very comfortable (on my head atleast). These are made for dj's on the go, so they shut noise out pretty well too. Don't take my word for ot, or anybody elses for that matter =)

Go to a store, and try a bunch of different headphones to get an idea what YOU want them to sound like, oh and bring your own music so you have a point of referance. Happy Hunting! =)

Originally posted by MysteriousKiwi

One product: Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro 250Ohm version. Audiophile, over ear, closed back amazing frequency response headphones. You cannot go wrong, although they are only slightly over $100. Great thing is as well that you can buy any replacement parts from beyer, its great!

Slightly over $100? Where? Lowest I find is $170 from B&H Photo Video which is about 140 Euro. Plus the 250Ohm version are harder to drive without an amp(Googling shows OP's card has an amp, but I'm not sure how well it would drive).

Some one correct me if I'm wrong.

​Also to OP. would you prefer a closed or open headphone? Closed meaning it would block sound passively(normally better/more bass too), or Open meaning you can hear outside sounds and have better "soundstage" or positional hearing(like is the guy shooting to the left in front of you or behind you). Sense you want bass I'd recommend M50s for simplicity's sake. Or the V Moda Crossfades, though they are ON ear not Over ear.

Partly true =) Yes, the closed ones block out sound bettter, than the open ones, but it has no difference for your positional hearing, that has mostly to do with the overall quality of the headphone (sound quality and so on...), and the upmix, virtual 3d sound on your sound card. Soundwise, the closed ones are generally more bass heavy, just like you said. The open ones have a more 'natural' uncolored sound, the sound preferred by aodiophiles, hence almost all high end headphones are open, like Sennheiser HD800 for example.

Be crazy and grab you a pair of Beyerdynamic Tesla T1, the price tag is totally worth.

i have grado sr80i's and i love them, there are a ton of mods you can do to them and an after market for upgrades. the open sound stage on them is awesome, for gaming and movies there is no comparison, it feels like you are in the room with the sound rather than music blasting directly into your ears. music sounds amazing on them too, but they are not made for dubstep, rock, classical and metal sound amazing on them. were they arent as good is when it comes to comfort but you can get upgrades for the head band and ear cushions

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

I'm gonna go with ATH-M50s. Not that I've tried lots of headphones, but I own those and they sound fantastic.