Our LTT Forums Scrap Yard Wars! Take Part?

UneekConcepts

Sooo lol, on that last thread I made about Scrap Yard Wars started me doing some thinking and research and I seen that the guys on Scrap Yard Wars weren't the only ones to see outrageous prices on Craigslist  (which I thought was the case because Canada doesn't have a large amount of people selling), but really even here in the States I have been searching for about a hour now and 95% people EVERYWHERE are crazy with their used computer parts, which I will link some examples below.  So I am actually having some fun looking all around the United States looking for a "Good Deal". I was hoping maybe a few other people like me may want to try to find the best deal!?! If you're not one of those people then ok, you think this is a dumb idea, I get it so you don't have to worry about posting it, but for those of you that it sounds interesting to then heres the rules!

You must find a active Craigslist (USA or Canada only) post where someone is selling a Computer Component "Upgrade" (by upgrade I mean not a OEM type part or Monitor, speakers. I will accept "Gaming/Upgrade" Keyboards and Mouse to the "Competition" tho), that would be thought of by the forums community as a "Good Deal" (so obviously a lower price then brand new at Amazon and Newegg). If you find something that blows you away then link it on this thread with the Craigslist Ad link AND the Amazon.com or Newegg.com (Link the website you find the lowest price for it brand new) link as well like I will show below as well. I will keep the "Competition" going for one week (but I will try and verify Craigslist ads a few times a day just incase they get removed because of purchase), and after that week (July 30th at 4:30 P.M.) we will have the community vote who has found the BEST deal! Here is the big part of the competition,  each person only get TWO entries per day,  so make sure they are the ones you want! Only 2 a day because I will be personally going to each entry to "Verify" the entry. Only HONEST people need play! We want to make this fun and fair for everyone so don't go doing stupid shit like making your own Craigslist ad, etc.

The Winner with the most community votes and if there are more than 10 people that take part then I will officially call it a REAL COMPETITION and when that happens ultimately the WINNER of the Competition will get a AWESOME Mushkin Triactor 240GB SSD Hard Drive! But until the 10 people mark, this is just for fun. The SSD is just something I bought for a build (the Super Budget build) that I ended up using a 480GB in instead. I threw 2 of these into my personal computer already, next to my Samsung Pro 512GB I just don't need or really even have room for anything else! So why not just use it for something awesome like this!?

Here are the examples I mentioned earlier. First here are the just crazy stupid prices I found

Zotac 1GB GTX 750ti low profile for $125use, $165cad only the 2GB version is $30 cheaper

8 GB of Crucial RAM for $35usd, $45cad yet for the same price

Here is how you would do a entry for this competition. (By the way LTTFSYW stands for what you probably think it does which is 'Linus Tech Tips Forums Scrap Yard Wars', you can just write "Post for the Competition" lol don't want to make shit overly complicated)

"This is a post for the LTTFSYW and this is Entry #1 for July 23rd 

I Found a Intel 4790k for $250 HERE and the Brand New price is at Newegg for $339 found HERE"

So basically thats it, just put if its your Entry #1 or 2 and put the date. Other than that you can write it out how ever you want with the 2 links.

Good Luck and Have Fun! 

Wait can we use eBay aswell?

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

2 minutes ago, Djole123 said:

Wait can we use eBay aswell?

I thought about including buy it now entries from eBay but I decided NOT to allow them, the crew from Scrap Yard Wars  only used Craigslist so we will only use Craigslist.  Plus just don't want to make things to all over the place. 

Well I found this https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/sop/5687423524.html not saying it's some great deal, it doesn't even list full specs but it points out a flaw in your scheme, no prices anywhere for a evga 7950gt graphics card. And then there this glorious thing here https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/sop/5676338902.html

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

24 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

Well I found this https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/sop/5687423524.html not saying it's some great deal, it doesn't even list full specs but it points out a flaw in your scheme, no prices anywhere for a evga 7950gt graphics card. And then there this glorious thing here https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/sop/5676338902.html

I guess I didn't really describe it the way I was thinking about it running in my head. Plus I'm not 100% sure why you are calling it a "Scheme"? Im not trying to get anything out of this but some fun. But anyways as far as s your concern is and how I want it to basically be is your not going to list every little "possibly good deal" you find. Thats a reason I capped it ar 2 per day, just gonna link your 2 "100% for sure good deals", if you can't show stats on something for sale (or what i call "make em call ads") then just pass on that ad for one of your 2. Now if you find something on Craigslist and find something of different stats on Amazon or Newegg that is clearly better then obviously its not the best deal. So basically it comes down to just stick with ads that make sense and show all the needed info

I don't know about this anymore lol, I guess I need to see if more people are going to get what I am trying to do here. I really want to make this a fun way for some people to pass time if they are into this sort of thing. I don't want it to just turn into link a bunch of random links to "could be a good deal" kinda thread. I want solid and easy to understand Craigslist ad's (I mean it can be a ad with 20 things on it, but your only going to be using and submitting ONE thing from that list), that is 100% backed up with a price from a noteable seller. Thats one of the reasons in the original post it says "Upgrade" Components, like stuff we would actually use now and today to upgrade systems,  so these would be items that are still listed for sale on sites like Amazon and Newegg. I have ADHD and some other thing I can't remember so sometimes it literally hard for me to explain what im thinking into text. Like really lol. For me the original post made total sense of what I was looking for but if people still dont get it after this post and the last then maybe I just cant explain it good enough lol.

4 minutes ago, UneekConcepts said:

Plus I'm not 100% sure why you are calling it a "Scheme"

My words are not always so good, my think muscles are just weird, I meant plan, design etc.  but my serious post all good? in retrospect that e8500 should have the price to performance easy.

1 minute ago, UneekConcepts said:

it says "Upgrade" Components, like stuff we would actually use now and today to upgrade systems

I missed that part in the first post, got caught up on the scrap yard war in the title

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

20 minutes ago, Cyracus said:

My words are not always so good, my think muscles are just weird, I meant plan, design etc.  but my serious post all good? in retrospect that e8500 should have the price to performance easy.

I missed that part in the first post, got caught up on the scrap yard war in the title

Your post about the Samsung 840 was basically what I was thinking. You linked it for what like 40? And it was on newegg for 130 i think, I think newegg also had a refurbished for 99 so the Craigslist one still a solid deal

it was a pcpartpicker link, outletpc was the seller. pcpartpicker covers amazon and newegg as well as other online retail stores so seemed a better choice, didn't even think of trying to find refurb prices

desktop

Spoiler

HTPC

Spoiler

This is my fault because I know I didn't really explain this part all that well but when you link the "Brand New" price, try to make the link for the cheapest you can find it. I mean I know someone isn't going to search 15 sites for 30 mins but like search at least both Amazon and Newegg both, or do a Google search and find the cheapest price its available for. I will do a quick search myself like I did for that 2tb Intel ssd and if I find it cheaper I will make a note of it in the forums (like noting that the Intel 2tb ssd is $3000 on Newegg, still getting a great deal though) just so everyone knows the lowest price for it brand new because well ultimately the community will pick which one is the best deal.

This is a post for the LTTFSYW and this is Entry #1 on July 24th

I am so tempted in buying this one and this is my first entry. https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/sop/5696441674.html

$100 GTX 770 with 4GB VRAM (at least this one can access more ram than a 970 xD)

Amazon Link:  https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Superclocked-Dual-Link-Graphics-04G-P4-3774-KR/dp/B00E5AEIKE

7 minutes ago, iComfy said:

Mods please delete this. I pressed quote button instead of edit for my previous post.

• 2 weeks later...

So unfortunately I have been sick and not on the computer at all over the last 4 or 5 days but it looks like not many people were even interested in this idea anyways hehe, so yea officially the contest is over and not many people took part at all so looks like it was a "just for fun" thing,  but I WILL think of something a bit more fun and interesting to a larger bunch of people to give some cool things away. 

Thanks everyone, 

Rich