Drones

hi all. so I am wanting to get into aerial photography and would like to get some advice on best practices and a good cheep drone good for beginners but that is not complete crap. please and thanks :P

Hello! Do you have any experience with rc helicopters or quads? If not, you want to start with something like a hubsan x4, something small and cheap that you can learn on. From there, you can get something nicer, like a phantom 3.

ASU

moved to photography

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend getting a DJI Phantom 3 Standard Edition. It is equipped with a 2.7k electronically stabilised camera that looks absolutely stunning for video. The prices have gone down on the Phantom 3 standard due to the new release of the DJI Phantom 4

+1 on any of the DJI Phantom 3 range. The Advanced has better range and a better controller if you can afford the extra money. The only real advantage of the pro is 4k video capture which is not really usefull for most people.

Check your local laws and regulations BEFORE BUYING, many people have bought these only to fine that local regulations mean they ahve to drive for hours to bea bel to fly them.

Some countries also have flying restricted by DJI themselves via the software of the drone.

On 01/08/2016 at 10:28 AM, chris76816 said:

I recommend getting a DJI Phantom 3 Standard Edition. It is equipped with a 2.7k electronically stabilised camera that looks absolutely stunning for video. The prices have gone down on the Phantom 3 standard due to the new release of the DJI Phantom 4

This

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

This

What do you mean by "this"

2 minutes ago, chris76816 said:

What do you mean by "this"

I mean, I agree with what that guy said that I quoted

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

I mean, I agree with what that guy said that I quoted

Ok cool, I wrote it.

The biggest laws you will need to be aware of are FAA rules.  There is a restriction of 400 feet above the ground you can get in general, but if you plan to fly around airports, be aware there is a 5 mile radius around airports (air traffic control towers being the point) that are considered illegal.  Now what you may not realize is that local air strips are in a national database and thus the 5 mile law applies to them.  You can contact the FAA and get permission, but be sure to give yourself time.

Now if you plan to take pictures and sell them, you will need to register your drone as a business rather than a hobby and will have to jump a couple other hoops.  Other wise if it is for fun, you can register as a hobby.  The laws were revamped December of last year.  Be sure to read all materials.  

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/air-space-map/

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_work_business/

http://knowbeforeyoufly.org/register-your-drone/

https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/   <----  Breakdown of difference between Hobby and Commercial

Read all the material you can before deciding.  May take about 4-6 hours on speed and curiosity.

Good luck and have fun!