Dell S2716DGR 1440p, 144hz, G Sync

jonathan13

As the title says, I am contemplating a new monitor purchase. As much as I would like an Acer Predator, I just cannot fork over that much money. Today, Best Buy has a deal on the Dell S2716DGR. It is 1440p, 144hz, G Sync. It unfortunately is a TN panel, which is expected at this price point.

With that being said, I am what they call "color deficient". Makes me sound like I have a learning disability huh? haha :D This means that while I can see colors (not grayscale), I don't see them correctly. In turn, I really cannot tell the difference when it comes to accurate color representation. This is obviously a good thing when I am considering a TN panel that is not going to give me accurate colors and happens to be the cheaper technology.

I have watched and read reviews about this Dell panel, and the two complaints that I am seeing over and over again are the washed out colors and the deadly "deep sleep mode" which can be disabled. I wanted to get some other people's opinion on this. Do any of you have any experience with this monitor? Good? Bad? Part of me wants to go for a non G sync 60hz 4k panel, but I very much dislike the fact that scaling isn't fully supported on a lot of applications and I just cannot see that tiny text. I have perfect eyesight and yet it is still so small that sometimes I cannot make out a line of text. Also, I feel like 1440p and 144hz is a sweet spot for gaming. Not sure if this will change anyone's opinion on whether or not I should get this Dell or opt for a 4k screen, but I do have a new GTX 1080 which can handle 4k, albeit sometimes not at 60 FPS with all of the eye candy turned up. 

Opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I have a feeling this guy will probably not be on sale for long. Thanks guys! 

PS: I have to buy my fiance a purse for her to allow me to buy the monitor. Fair trade off? You decide. (it is only $61 which I think makes it super worth it. hahaha xD)

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

Don't see the problem of getting a TN if gaming is the only thing you are going to do...

But with that PC I see in your signature I doubt you are only going to be gaming

Most "gaming" monitors are TN because TN has lower response time. There are 1440p IPS 144Hz IPS Panels but they are shit expensive and besides you 

will never notice the difference between 1ms and 5ms anyways unless you have a inhumane eye. 

I would just get dat 1440 IPS because it looks hotter 

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

1 minute ago, TheAmazingCookieFromSquare said:

Don't see the problem of getting a TN if gaming is the only thing you are going to do...

But with that PC I see in your signature I doubt you are only going to be gaming

Most "gaming" monitors are TN because TN has lower response time. There are 1440p IPS 144Hz IPS Panels but they are shit expensive and besides you 

will never notice the difference between 1ms and 5ms anyways unless you have a inhumane eye. 

I would just get dat 1440 IPS because it looks hotter 

To be perfectly honest, I am one of those enthusiasts who has an X99 setup just for the sake of having one. I came from a 6700k which is honestly a better gaming processor, but I wanted to try out the Broadwell-E lineup. I am happy that I made the switch even though I do nothing that would take advantage of this 6 core beast. I know, it is sad. :D

With that being said, since I will not be using this monitor for any type of video production or photo editing, I really feel like it is a smart buy while it is on sale. I currently have a 27" Asus IPS panel that I plan on keeping as a second monitor. I suppose in the future if my fiance wants to use my rig for photo editing (which she does from time to time), she can do the editing on this IPS panel for more accurate colors.

|| i7-8700k @ 4.9GHz || Asus Z370-i || HyperX Fury 32GB @ 2400MHz || Nvidia Titan Xp || 500GB Samsung 950 Pro || Deepcool Captain 240 RGB white || Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX Glass || InWin Aurora fan kit || Corsair RM750x white || Ensourced Customs sleeved extensions || Tesoro Gram Spectrum white || Logitech G603 || 

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Isn't that Dell monitor stupid expensive for a TN panel though?

yes

2 minutes ago, jonathan13 said:

To be perfectly honest, I am one of those enthusiasts who has an X99 setup just for the sake of having one. I came from a 6700k which is honestly a better gaming processor, but I wanted to try out the Broadwell-E lineup. I am happy that I made the switch even though I do nothing that would take advantage of this 6 core beast. I know, it is sad. :D

With that being said, since I will not be using this monitor for any type of video production or photo editing, I really feel like it is a smart buy while it is on sale. I currently have a 27" Asus IPS panel that I plan on keeping as a second monitor. I suppose in the future if my fiance wants to use my rig for photo editing (which she does from time to time), she can do the editing on this IPS panel for more accurate colors.

If your not going to be editing and producing stuff and you can use your asus IPS one for that might wanna grab that , and if you feel that bad about your pc you can always give it to me lol, also the italics is because I did the ctrl+I thingie by accident and I am too lazy to disable it Top Kek.

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Appreciate the input. I do have a question though. Would the two of you really consider $480 on the expensive side for a TN panel even though it is 1440p/144hz with G Sync? It seems to be the cheapest 1440p G Sync monitor that I could find anyway.

AmazingCookie- I don't feel that bad about my computer. :P

I can attest to the glory that is the Acer Predator (Mines the XB27HU, the current model is the XB271HU) 1440p, 144hz & IPS Monitor.

Its beautiful in every conceivable way.

If you have the money just buy the bloody thing. Its glorious.

CPU - i7 6800k @ 4.2Ghz

Mobo - Asus X99-A-II

Ram - Corsair Vengeance LPX White 32GB @ 3200Mhz

GPU - MSI GTX 1080ti Lightning X @ 2063/12528

Storage - Samsung SM961 256GB, Samsung 840 Pro 250GB & Sandisk Ultra II 256GB

Cooling - Corsair H110i (2x ML140 White LED)

PSU - RM850x

Case - Anidees Ai Crystal

Monitor - Acer XB270HU bprz @ 1440p / 144hz IPS

Sound - FiiO E10K & AKG K712 PROs

Peripherals - Razer Blackwidow TE & Corsiar Scimitar

3 minutes ago, Djxinator said:

I can attest to the glory that is the Acer Predator (Mines the XB27HU, the current model is the XB271HU) 1440p, 144hz & IPS Monitor.

Its beautiful in every conceivable way.

If you have the money just buy the bloody thing. Its glorious.

Unfortunately, I just purchased my first home. If I am being honest, I really shouldn't be buying a monitor at all. lol. The $480 Dell is just a lot more manageable than an $800 Predator. If I was going for a Predator and was okay with spending Predator money, I would get the X34 Ultrawide. That thing is pure sex. B|

2 minutes ago, jonathan13 said:

Unfortunately, I just purchased my first home. If I am being honest, I really shouldn't be buying a monitor at all. lol. The $480 Dell is just a lot more manageable than an $800 Predator. If I was going for a Predator and was okay with spending Predator money, I would get the X34 Ultrawide. That thing is pure sex. B|

Don't buy one then. If you're moving from IPS to TN even if you're bumping the res and refresh rate up you WILL notice the colours are washed out.

Wait until you can afford the monitor that your 1080 FTW and 6850K deserves.

CPU - i7 6800k @ 4.2Ghz

Mobo - Asus X99-A-II

PSU - RM850x

4 minutes ago, Djxinator said:

Don't buy one then. If you're moving from IPS to TN even if you're bumping the res and refresh rate up you WILL notice the colours are washed out.

Wait until you can afford the monitor that your 1080 FTW and 6850K deserves.

Keep in mind that when I see a vehicle driving down the interstate next to me, I cannot tell whether it is black, dark blue, or maroon. My eyes are pretty F'ed up. 

From personal experience my teir list for features are as follows

IPS > 144hz > 1440p > 21:9

Its true, I would take the 144hz 1440p monitor over a 1080p 60hz IPS panel any day of the week.

A 1080p 144hz IPS panel on the other hand would top the 1440p 144hz TN panel.

The ideal monitor for me is, IPS, 144hz, 1440p and 21:9 (3440x1440)

The question is, what is your teir list and what do you prefer in a monitor?

CPU - i7 6800k @ 4.2Ghz

Mobo - Asus X99-A-II

PSU - RM850x

2 minutes ago, Djxinator said:

From personal experience my teir list for features are as follows

IPS > 144hz > 1440p > 21:9

Its true, I would take the 144hz 1440p monitor over a 1080p 60hz IPS panel any day of the week.

A 1080p 144hz IPS panel on the other hand would top the 1440p 144hz TN panel.

The ideal monitor for me is, IPS, 144hz, 1440p and 21:9 (3440x1440)

The question is, what is your teir list and what do you prefer in a monitor?

Here is the question I will ask then. What about one of LG's 29" 2560X1080 21:9 IPS panels? That is currently what I am going back and forth between. The LG Ultrawide IPS with lower res VS This Dell TN 1440p 144hz G Sync.

1. Do you play competetive games like Overwatch, LoL, DoTA or CSGO?

2. Or are you a Witcher 3, Dark Souls, Fallout 4 kinda guy?

If you answered yes to 1, go for the 144hz monitor

If you answered yes to 2, go for the 21:9 monitor

If you are both, equally - go for the 144hz monitor. It gives you an edge in the more competetive games.

CPU - i7 6800k @ 4.2Ghz

Mobo - Asus X99-A-II

PSU - RM850x

The game I play the most is CSGO, but not competitively as I am just plain terrible compared to everyone I play with. Other than that, It is a lot of Rainbow Six Siege, The Division, Doom, and Hitman.

One thing that I will note is that the LG Ultrawide (also the Asus ultrawide that probably uses the same panel) is 75hz which I know is minimally better than 60 and nowhere near 120/144, but it might be worth getting the ultrawide just due to the price being $100+ less than the Dell.

I had experience with this monitor today, my friend brought it over to help me make my decision on the pg279q or pg278q, the viewing angles were definitely not as poor as i had expected and as far as colors go compared to my pb278q ips monitor, the dell monitor definitely had duller colors, reds on my screen looked orange on the tn pannel and yellows were definitely not as bright. blues were much clearer on an ips screen than the tn. Aside from the general colors the edges  of the screen were darker than the rest for some reason which made some icons look greyer than they should be. When playing games however the tn pannel was definitely acceptable and 144hz is a huge jump from 60hz, and 1440p is also a noticeable jump from 1080p. I cannot comment on the G sync as i only used the monitor for about an hour and a half and i always played v sync before then, my recommendation  is to pruchase the dell monitor. TN pannel when gaming is not an issue however noticeable of a difference it may be when having an ips monitor duplicating the display right beside it, and viewing angles were surprisingly good. Changing your in game graphic setting to match the 144 hz will be a better gaming experience overall so i do believe this monitor is a good purchase.

11 hours ago, Ramontes said:

I had experience with this monitor today, my friend brought it over to help me make my decision on the pg279q or pg278q, the viewing angles were definitely not as poor as i had expected and as far as colors go compared to my pb278q ips monitor, the dell monitor definitely had duller colors, reds on my screen looked orange on the tn pannel and yellows were definitely not as bright. blues were much clearer on an ips screen than the tn. Aside from the general colors the edges  of the screen were darker than the rest for some reason which made some icons look greyer than they should be. When playing games however the tn pannel was definitely acceptable and 144hz is a huge jump from 60hz, and 1440p is also a noticeable jump from 1080p. I cannot comment on the G sync as i only used the monitor for about an hour and a half and i always played v sync before then, my recommendation  is to pruchase the dell monitor. TN pannel when gaming is not an issue however noticeable of a difference it may be when having an ips monitor duplicating the display right beside it, and viewing angles were surprisingly good. Changing your in game graphic setting to match the 144 hz will be a better gaming experience overall so i do believe this monitor is a good purchase.

I appreciate the info. I went ahead and purchased the Dell. It was just too good of a price for me to pass up, especially since I am basically color blind and probably won't notice as much of a difference between the two monitors as most people would. Now, I just have to figure out how I want to set up these two monitors. I definitely want the Dell straight ahead for gaming which means the Asus IPS panel will need to be at an angle on the left side of the Dell. The biggest issue that I have is that this Asus is not VESA compatible and does not rotate 90 degrees which means I am either going to have to get creative or just have it standing normally right next to the Dell, which I don't think would look great. I do a lot of overclocking and benchmarking with various hardware- CPUs, motherboards, video cards. I feel like it would be most beneficial to have the second monitor rotated 90 degrees for data logging, but that just might not be possible.