GTX 1080 Sudden Black Screen?

Hi guys,

I don't know if anyone has the same problem like me.

It happens like this: When I just started the computer,got into the Windows 10 desktop,started few program,and then my monitor suddenly turns to black and has no signal of it,but the computer keeps on running,even when I'm gaming no matter which game I play,at some point,it just turn to black screen...and Monitor just showing No Signal...It's annoying...

I did some search on Tom's Hardware's form...and apparently quite a lot of people has the same problem like me,and most answer I found is Nvida's Driver's fault?...I'm wondering whether I should RMA the card or not?...

Or is My monitor dying?....

Any suggestion would be great...

18 minutes ago, James Yang said:

Hi guys,

I don't know if anyone has the same problem like me.

It happens like this: When I just started the computer,got into the Windows 10 desktop,started few program,and then my monitor suddenly turns to black and has no signal of it,but the computer keeps on running,even when I'm gaming no matter which game I play,at some point,it just turn to black screen...and Monitor just showing No Signal...It's annoying...

I did some search on Tom's Hardware's form...and apparently quite a lot of people has the same problem like me,and most answer I found is Nvida's Driver's fault?...I'm wondering whether I should RMA the card or not?...

Or is My monitor dying?....

Any suggestion would be great...

Could be drivers problem.

Use DDU to uninstall drivers and reinstall with downloading drivers from nvidia site.

Did you check temps maybe? Is your GPU overheating? Is your CPU overheating?

If there would be PSU problem, your system would just shut down.

Probbably the same for CPU, but it doesn't hurt to cehck temps on CPU also.

Try using differend cable or differend monitor if you can.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

^ Simon771 is right, check temps.

I do not believe your monitor is dying :P I believe it would just stop working one day and not randomly shut down. Probably a driver issue.

5 minutes ago, Simon771 said:

Could be drivers problem.

Use DDU to uninstall drivers and reinstall with downloading drivers from nvidia site.

Did you check temps maybe? Is your GPU overheating? Is your CPU overheating?

If there would be PSU problem, your system would just shut down.

Probbably the same for CPU, but it doesn't hurt to cehck temps on CPU also.

Try using differend cable or differend monitor if you can.

The first thing I did,was to use DDU to wipe out the driver and download the latest version on the Nvidia site(currently 368.69),Nope both CPU and GPU weren't overheating,CPU's temp is about 35°C~40°C (Idle,H100i Liquid Cooler) Gaming 45°C~55°C,GPU's temp idle at 41°C~42°C Gaming 55°C~65°C(EVGA GTX 1080 Founder's Edition)

PSU's pretty new and recently bought it's RMi 1000W...so I don't think there would be anything...monitor is the only variable I haven't change,though,I just hooked it up with my 50" TV through HDMI and it looks fine..somehow...I use DVI on my Monitor it's a BENQ RL-2455HM-F...

2 minutes ago, gorgonsteel said:

^ Simon771 is right, check temps.

I do not believe your monitor is dying :P I believe it would just stop working one day and not randomly shut down. Probably a driver issue.

Yeah,I do believe it's mostly drivers issue...Back when I got GTX 980 after releasing,I had a similar problem,used first released driver...but from time to time when Nvidia update..and somehow it when off...gone...

2 minutes ago, James Yang said:

The first thing I did,was to use DDU to wipe out the driver and download the latest version on the Nvidia site(currently 368.69),Nope both CPU and GPU weren't overheating,CPU's temp is about 35°C~40°C (Idle,H100i Liquid Cooler) Gaming 45°C~55°C,GPU's temp idle at 41°C~42°C Gaming 55°C~65°C(EVGA GTX 1080 Founder's Edition)

PSU's pretty new and recently bought it's RMi 1000W...so I don't think there would be anything...monitor is the only variable I haven't change,though,I just hooked it up with my 50" TV through HDMI and it looks fine..somehow...I use DVI on my Monitor it's a BENQ RL-2455HM-F...

Yeah,I do believe it's mostly drivers issue...Back when I got GTX 980 after releasing,I had a similar problem,used first released driver...but from time to time when Nvidia update..and somehow it when off...gone...

55-65°C is great temps for GPU lol

Did you set fans to 100% or something?

And if all that didn't help, it could be your monitor, but that's weird.

I had so many differend monitors and non of them died.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

1 minute ago, Simon771 said:

55-65°C is great temps for GPU lol

Did you set fans to 100% or something?

And if all that didn't help, it could be your monitor, but that's weird.

I had so many differend monitors and non of them died.

Nope,Just in a A/C room...It's hot in Taiwan during summer,so when I game,I turn on the A/C.

I had two monitor died in my life...so...I guess I was very bad luck...though those were two cheap ASUS monitor...not the panel died but the VGA connector died,I started to wondering whether my DVI connector on my current monitor is dying...

6 minutes ago, James Yang said:

Nope,Just in a A/C room...It's hot in Taiwan during summer,so when I game,I turn on the A/C.

I had two monitor died in my life...so...I guess I was very bad luck...though those were two cheap ASUS monitor...not the panel died but the VGA connector died,I started to wondering whether my DVI connector on my current monitor is dying...

Well try to use some other port on monitor.

But if it's working with no problems on your TV screen, then you need to get new monitor probbably.

WD My Cloud 4TB

On July 11, 2016 at 4:42 AM, James Yang said:

I'm having the same problem with my Nvida GTX 1080, my HTC Vive will work for about 1 minute then poof the screen goes blank and I have to reboot. Then the Bios give me an error "Overclocking failed!"

6 hours ago, VintageHan said:

I'm having the same problem with my Nvida GTX 1080, my HTC Vive will work for about 1 minute then poof the screen goes blank and I have to reboot. Then the Bios give me an error "Overclocking failed!"

VR shouldn't have any problem.Are you connecting through DisplayPort?

*Update*...

Apparently,Non of my monitor or GPU have any problems...but my cable,my previous DVI-D Single Link 18+1 cable that came with the monitor somehow had bad contact,so after I bought a brand new DVI-D Dual Link 24+1 cable with gold-finished connector..and with a half-day;2hrs ArmA3 run...the screen blackout issue suddenly went away...doesn't happen anymore...

Still,Thanks to the people who offered suggestion...:)