RX 480 Performing Better by Undervolting

Starelementpoke

No clue if someone made a thread for this, but probably a good idea making this easier to find rather than buried under 30+ pages of thread posts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qupw4/super_psa_all_rx480_owners_please_attempt_to/

Apparently, people have been trying to undervolt the 480 a bit, with the card doing better after the fact.

There are more screenshots than the ones I listed, find the rest of the Reddit thread. Take with a grain of salt, you can pass a Firestrike test without the card being stable in game.

Screenshots:

f9810bc91e.jpg

Uwtr3UU.pngk7cyxZr.png

The link to the Firestrike test above: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/9074879

Makes sense, it's limited mostly by power, so if higher power states use less power, it will spend more time in those higher performance states.

Also this :

I'm not sure it's news worthy but that card is overvolted.

When you increase the power target and drop the voltage, it uses 33W less power than increased power target at default voltage. That should say it all. I mean 33W. That's ridiculous.

It also lowers temperatures overall and improves performance by giving it the extra headroom whether or not you increase the power target.

Can't open reddit. 

How much did they reduce? 100mV? 75? 50?

2 minutes ago, gilang01 said:

Can't open reddit. 

Apparently, OP is asking to turn it down to no lower than 1.100v.

2 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Apparently, OP is asking to turn it down to no lower than 1.100v.

I read it the other way, 1.1V or lower.

1 minute ago, Megahurt said:

I read it the other way, 1.1V or lower.

Eh, probably something like that. Bit early for me.

12 minutes ago, gilang01 said:

Can't open reddit. 

Depends on the card but I believe someone's card used 1.3V 1.150V (don't know where I got 1.3V from, my mistake) by default and he dropped it to 1.075V stable.

Also someone reporting running 1325 MHz at 1.09V. Some suggest being able to do stock at 1V but haven't seen anyone do it.

Remember it's all a chip lottery.

This only applies to some cards. Background: voltage tolerance for all RX 480s was increased for higher yields, so more cards could become suitable as an RX 480.

The cards that were gonna be RX 480s anyway use less power and can boost higher since they're not close to the power limit with unnecessarily high voltage.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

8 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Depends on the card but I believe someone's card used 1.3V by default and he dropped it to 1.075V stable.

Also someone reporting running 1325 MHz at 1.09V. Some suggest being able to do stock at 1V but haven't seen anyone do it.

1.3V?

I know that architectures change, but that's the voltage ceiling on my 7950 (Base voltage being 1050 mV).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

4 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

1.3V?

I know that architectures change, but that's the voltage ceiling on my 7950 (Base voltage being 1050 mV).

Read my correction. Don't know how long it took to type that because I corrected that more than five minutes ago :)

8 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

Read my correction. Don't know how long it took to type that because I corrected that more than five minutes ago :)

I'm on my iPad and taking my time typing :)

I'm guessing that I opened the thread while you were editing your post.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

7 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

No clue if someone made a thread for this, but probably a good idea making this easier to find rather than buried under 30+ pages of thread posts.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/4qupw4/super_psa_all_rx480_owners_please_attempt_to/

Apparently, people have been trying to undervolt the 480 a bit, with the card doing better after the fact.

Care the edit the post with some more info and what results we are seeing?

So 1.0 1.1 would be solid and go from there to clock?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

The recommended voltage for 16nm is .9V right? 

What is it for 14nm?

4 hours ago, tsk said:

Care the edit the post with some more info and what results we are seeing?

Eh, I'll try to get a couple of screenshots of people's results tomorrow. 11PM here, so sleep is probably a high priority item.

2 hours ago, Doobeedoo said:

So 1.0 1.1 would be solid and go from there to clock?

Start with 1.1, seems to be a voltage everyone can reach.

1 hour ago, Deletist_Jerk said:

The recommended voltage for 16nm is .9V right? 

What is it for 14nm?

No clue. If you have a 480, try just starting with 1.1v.

12 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Depends on the card but I believe someone's card used 1.3V 1.150V (don't know where I got 1.3V from, my mistake) by default and he dropped it to 1.075V stable.

From everyone's favorite WCCFTech, "Lastly we see a drop in maximum voltage delivered to the card, coming in now at .9875v vs the stock 1.0375v, and that’s the magic that made all of this happen."

Read more: http://wccftech.com/article/radeon-rx-480-reducing-voltage-increasing-efficiency/#ixzz4DJReoIVQ

They dropped 28w off the TDP, but I doubt all chips are that good so take the report with a grain (read, League player level) of salt.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

13 hours ago, Starelementpoke said:

i think the 3rd party cards will fix all that sh!t AMD made...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Please join in the reddit thread. For anyone curious, 1.050v seems to be a good starting point for most people.

4 hours ago, Tenelia said:

Please join in the reddit thread. For anyone curious, 1.050v seems to be a good starting point for most people.

Already am technically. Was essentially told to fuck off from asking why not have people post actual links to their Firestrike scores along with the screenshots, and asking if anyone would test the card by running it in an actual game for awhile.

8 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

i think the 3rd party cards will fix all that sh!t AMD made...

Eh, most likely. But if this ends up having some traction somehow, wouldn't be bad.