Worth picking up a korean IPS

mhirt34

I really want to try out  1440p and am looking at purchasing an IPS/PLS monitor soon. Ive been looking at some of the Korean monitors because they can be overclocked to 120hz (from what ive heard 96 is the most stable). I currently have an asus vg24qe that i got at a fairly good deal and my 4 year old acer monitor I had just broke so I am looking for a second display fairly quickly. So my main question is, is it worth spending less money to pick up the korean models like qnix or x star. Or should I wait till around blackfriday or even Christmas time to pick up a more quality approved model.

Most of the time they have high input lag, their chassis looks ugly, and they don't always have a warranty. Also, if you want 120Hz, go for TN not IPS tbh.

How much are you looking to spend?

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Most of the time they have high input lag, their chassis looks ugly, and they don't always have a warranty. Also, if you want 120Hz, go for TN not IPS tbh.

Right now I can only spend about 450, but I can wait for a couple of pay checks or even a sale before going for anything. I actually already have a 144hz monitor its just to me the difference between 60hz-144hz in my eyes isn't that big of a deal. Plus tbh im more into graphics than gaining a competitive edge. The only games I really want a competitive edge in is wow and forge and neither of those two games gain from 120+hz.

I would wait for a sale on Dell or Asus monitors that are 1440p.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Right now I can only spend about 450, but I can wait for a couple of pay checks or even a sale before going for anything. I actually already have a 144hz monitor its just to me the difference between 60hz-144hz in my eyes isn't that big of a deal. Plus tbh im more into graphics than gaining a competitive edge. The only games I really want a competitive edge in is wow and forge and neither of those two games gain from 120+hz.

I bought a korean 1440p (Yamakasi Catleap Q270) last year for about 350$. It had no dead pixels, amazing image quality and the input lag isn't noticeable. The only bad thing about it is the build quality. It's very plasticky and wobbles easily but if you got a decent desk it shouldn't be a problem. one of the best purchases i've ever done :)

Considering Samsung is a S.Korean firm and they make some of the best displays...I don't see why not?

It's the panel inside that really matters, not the branding.

I was considering this too a while back, but it turns out it's more of a lottery than anything else. Either you're lucky and have a perfect screen, with cheap frame of course, but it works flawlessly and the image is very good. Or, you can get dead pixels, backlight problem, all sort of stuff. Sending it back isn't easy if you deal directly with the Korean retailer (there are some N.A retailers of these SK monitors), impossible to get in touch with CS, etc etc.

I wouldn't buy a 300-350$ 'lottery ticket', it's safer to save a bit until you have like 450-500$ and get an ASUS/Dell monitor on sale. You have a real warranty and CS, and you know what to expect quality wise. ;)

The Korean monitors use panels from Samsung and LG, yes... these are their rejected panels.

Like Drown said, you might get one with no dead pixels, backlight bleed, etc... but if you do get a bad one, you basically have no warranty because it costs another monitor to ship it back to Korea for a replacement.  Which there is no guarantee that one won't have issues too.

Acer makes a 1440p monitor for $500 which isn't too much more, really...Most of the Korean monitors are around $400 I think?  Saving up for a little bit more would be well worth it in my opinion, for the warranty alone, but you also get more than one input option (and more than one input total), proper monitor controls, and better quality in general especially with the casing and stand.  So those are all nice bonuses too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009553

Any evidence of the high input lag? I'm not saying you're wrong in any way. 

from the loads of reviews that i read you just need to buy a perfect pixel matt and you are fine, and alot of ppl are able to get 110+fps oc on it AND you can install an asus profile on it and the screen just gets a shit load better
im getting this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pixel-FREE-EXPRESS-X-STAR-DP2710LED-27-2560x1440-Samsung-PLS-Matte-/321135502506?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item4ac52ae4aa

Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
I've learned that something constructive comes from every defeat.

Any evidence of the high input lag? I'm not saying you're wrong in any way. 

It depends on the model,

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/achieva_shimian_qh300-ipsms.htm

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/achieva_27_ips-zero-g.htm

for example,

Again, it's not all of them, but the ones affected are really bad. It's a a bit hard to get user reviews, as people that get those monitors, usually comes from a shitty 80$ TN panel monitor, so ANYTHING is better, and as they never saw a good monitor, they don't know how it could be, so basically, not insult anyone or be offensive in some fashion, but their standard are a bit on the low side.

I mean, most people here would find it unacceptable that a monitor, has 5-8 brightness level, on some models/brands, or like the above one, none.

It's like spend an extra 100$ and you get SO MUCH more. Making those eBay Korean monitor, simply not worth it, unless you seek something really specific, like 120Hz IPS panel overclock, or you really can't spend 100-150$ more (and wait for specials).