Nvidea must be laughing their heads off right now

Bcat00

the article claims the 1080gtx is the best selling high end card in history despite nvidea keeping the largest launch stock they ever did.

man wish i invested in their stocks before the card launch because the stock owners will be so happy if they cashed out now.

http://www.fudzilla.com/news/graphics/40947-geforce-gtx-1080-sold-out-selling-excellent

I really don't understand why it's selling as well as it is. I genuinely don't understand paying an early adopter's fee for the GTX 980's successor.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I really don't understand why it's selling as well as it is. I genuinely don't understand paying an early adopter's fee for the GTX 980's successor.

Epeen, pure and simple. I have a friend with one and he doesn't even game.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

oh god

does he literally have nothing better to do than just fling cash around

Does some graphic design work, and some light video editing. Showed him the proof that the 980ti is faster at those tasks than a 1080 and offered to trade with a little incentive. Nope, wants to be able to brag about having one. Which I find odd as only a PC gamer would care xD 

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Does some graphic design work, and some light video editing. Showed him the proof that the 980ti is faster at those tasks than a 1080 and offered to trade with a little incentive. Nope, wants to be able to brag about having one. Which I find odd as only a PC gamer would care xD 

Well it's his money that he flushed down the toilet and not yours, at least.

hehe 

my friend sold his NVIDIA stocks as the perfect time c;

2 minutes ago, App4that said:

Tell him to use that GPU for some distributed computing during free time... this would somewhat justify a rather dumb purchase.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Tell him to use that GPU for some distributed computing during free time... this would somewhat justify a rather dumb purchase.

Agreed, but he's not into folding. I really need new friends...

1 minute ago, App4that said:

Agreed, but he's not into folding. I really need new friends...

I never said folding. In fact, I don't even do it myself, I dislike their software a lot.

#BoincMasterRace.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

15 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Maybe because it's legitimately good? Lol.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 minute ago, Lays said:

I mean yes it is, but I seriously don't understand why people are ditching their 980 Tis for one. 

Yes, they have money flinging around, and maybe I'm looking at this in a way that doesn't fit this but eh.

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I mean yes it is, but I seriously don't understand why people are ditching their 980 Tis for one. 

Yes, they have money flinging around, and maybe I'm looking at this in a way that doesn't fit this but eh.

people bought the GTX titan X over a 980ti

there will always be people with more money than sense :)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

8 minutes ago, Lays said:

In furtherance to this statement, the 980ti was the first standing "best in the world gpu" to breach 1% steam ownership (which it did in may.) The only other high end to do this was the 980, but it took till march and thus was no longer "best in the world" anymore.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

14 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I ditched my 980 ti matrix for one :P  I got $500 for it + shipping though, most are only getting 350-425 I think now. Either way,  the money spent upgrading isn't that much, if you just save $25-50 a month and sell your old card, you can always stay right on the top of the releases.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

2 minutes ago, Lays said:

I ditched my 980 ti matrix for one :P  I got $500 for it + shipping though, most are only getting 350-425 I think now. Either way,  the money spent upgrading isn't that much, if you just save $25-50 a month and sell your old card, you can always stay right on the top of the releases.

If you got a sale of a lifetime like that on your 980 Ti then I guess it's reasonable.

33 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Because... Frames and being the latest and greatest man.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

2 minutes ago, Lays said:

ASUS and MSI just got caught red handed stacking the deck on the performance of the 1080 and 1070. And once the RX 480 is in circulation my bet is we see a price drop back to the 550-500 range on the 1080.

28 minutes ago, App4that said:

980ti out perform 1080 at VFX? Not likely since the Vram is a huge improvement. 

Not to knock the 980ti, it's just not likely to outperform for medium to high end video editing.

1 minute ago, TriFlix Films said:

980ti out perform 1080 at VFX? Not likely since the Vram is a huge improvement. 

Not to knock the 980ti, it's just not likely to outperform for medium to high end video editing.

Would you like some salt on that shoe?

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If you got a sale of a lifetime like that on your 980 Ti then I guess it's reasonable.

I mean upgrading isn't necessarily a money smart idea if you already have a 980 TI, but "if" you had a lower end card, say a 970 or 980, definitely maybe worth looking into if current performance isn't great.  

On the other hand, if you were going to buy a 980 ti but waited for Pascal, then 20% upgrade for the same price you were already going to spend on a 980 TI is definitely worth it IMO!

1 minute ago, Lays said:

I mean upgrading isn't necessarily a money smart idea if you already have a 980 TI, but "if" you had a lower end card, say a 970 or 980, definitely maybe worth looking into if current performance isn't great.  

On the other hand, if you were going to buy a 980 ti but waited for Pascal, then 20% upgrade for the same price you were already going to spend on a 980 TI is definitely worth it IMO!

Yeah, I'll say if you have something like a 970 or even a 980 then it'd be worth it. Now if you got an insane selling price on your 980 Ti like you managed, then it'd also be worthwhile.

9 minutes ago, App4that said:

Would you like some salt on that shoe?

Different software runs differently. I don't use Adobe which is very different than HitFilm, 3DS Max, Vray, FCP, Blender... I don't consider Premier to be "high end." AE defiantly is though but again.. runs differently than the VFX in videos I do. For your friend though it does sound like the 980ti is a better option.

Like I said... not knocking the 980ti, just not better for ALL video editing. I use the 970 and will probably wait on an EVGA Hydro Copper 1080ti :)

* Brushes salt off of shoe *

8 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, I'll say if you have something like a 970 or even a 980 then it'd be worth it. Now if you got an insane selling price on your 980 Ti like you managed, then it'd also be worthwhile.

Only reason I got so much was because I sold it on hwbot's forums with my overclocking results from dry ice.  It helped to mention it was the fastest dry ice'd 980 ti on the entire website lol

I was hoping it'd go to someone that'd Ln2 it but nope :(