Is Keeping a Steam Free Weekend Game Legal?

Go to solution Solved by vanished,
1 minute ago, MDPS said:

Sorry for the noobish question, but I'm not really educated on DRMs or that sort of thing. It did successfully launch with no exploits or anything, so would your scenario be "legal" then?

You have to check what the EULA says, but my guess is that it will say that you are only supposed to have access for the weekend.  Whether it needs to be cracked or not, using the software outside of the terms of the licence agreement is wrong.

Hey LTT,

So this weekend Steam had a free-weekend for the game Wasteland 2, and even though it's over, I can still play it by manually accessing the .exe in its files. Now I'm not one to torrent or pirate or anything like that. I just don't like the feeling of not having paid for something, so I wanted to know if it is in fact legal for me to keep the files and continue playing. Under my licenses i still have the complimentary license for it even though the free-weekend is over, in case that changes anything.

Thanks, MDPS

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

They are not supposed to launch once the weekend is over.  If you are able to, without having done any other "hacks", I would consider it equal to taking advantage of a game with no DRM, such as sharing a purchased installer from GoG with a friend.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Interesting... I guess it's technically illegal since you were only given access for a defined period in time.

This is so grey, I have no idea. 

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

They are not supposed to launch once the weekend is over.  If you are able to, without having done any other "hacks", I would consider it equal to taking advantage of a game with no DRM, such as sharing a purchased installer from GoG with a friend.

Sorry for the noobish question, but I'm not really educated on DRMs or that sort of thing. It did successfully launch with no exploits or anything, so would your scenario be "legal" then?

Christian 

Rig Specs:

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

1 minute ago, MDPS said:

You have to check what the EULA says, but my guess is that it will say that you are only supposed to have access for the weekend.  Whether it needs to be cracked or not, using the software outside of the terms of the licence agreement is wrong.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, MDPS said:

Not legal as you don't have permission to use it, even though there are no explots. Nothing bad would come of it though.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Alright thanks a lot. I think I'll just uninstall it.

Christian 

Rig Specs:

7 hours ago, MDPS said:

Alright thanks a lot. I think I'll just uninstall it.

Super respect for being honest

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

What you did is 100% legal.

DRM makes it illegal to reverse engineer for the purpose of circumventing payment.

Double clicking an exe file doesn't fall into the category of reverse engineering in the computing sense.  You could easily argue that the game/program was in the exact same state and no unauthorized editing of the program source code or any of its proprietary libraries was performed.