Nvidia 3d Vision 2 (Worth getting in 2016?)

So I currently have an Asus VG248QE.  Ever since I bought this monitor over a few years ago I've always noticed that big 3d logo on the stand.  Nvidia 3d vision capability was a huge advertisement on this monitor, along with its 144hz.

Anyways, I started looking around for thoughts and reviews on 3D vision.  Majority of which were years old and not from anything remotely present day.  I would like to see if any of you have used Nvidia 3d vision or own a kit.

I see a lot of complaints saying that Nvidia has given up maintaining support for it and that game's don't look all that great.  I would mostly be using the 3d for movies and some gaming.

I'm just kinda hesitant since the kit itself is $120+ and it just seems like it might be a waste of my money.

(Yes, I've seen LTT and NCIXTT's videos on the product from back when it came out)

Nah don't waste your money just upgrade to better in around 12 months time when the market is fully saturated with better deals!

I tried a "demo" of it (using a normal 60 hz screen in red/cyan mode with the 90s 3D glasses) and it was pretty cool even in that less than ideal scenario.  I can only imagine that if it was done properly it would be pretty nice, but I feel like VR is going to be displacing whatever little market share 3D games had to begin with quite quickly.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I tried a "demo" of it (using a normal 60 hz screen in red/cyan mode with the 90s 3D glasses) and it was pretty cool even in that less than ideal scenario.  I can only imagine that if it was done properly it would be pretty nice, but I feel like VR is going to be displacing whatever little market share 3D games had to begin with quite quickly.

Lol, I used to have a DK2 and I watched all of my 3d movies on the Cinema VR app on there.  Sold it a while back to my VR club at university since they were in need of some more headsets.  Maybe I will just get some anaglyph glasses and pray the price drops.

I have a Vizio 3D capable TV hooked up to this computer and tried out 3D Vision (polarized SBS) just a few weeks ago with a few games.

Few things to note. I wasn't using the Nvidia 3D Vision kit. Just the stock glasses that came with my TV. This is also only a 60hz panel. So I was limited to either 30hz 1080p, or 60hz 720p. Lastly, I don't have a great card. But my fps was stable above refresh rate in both modes.

But yeah the experience in gaming was not great at all. I was trying to play GTA V. The problem I found myself running into was getting focal lengths properly aligned. When the objects in the foreground were in focus and aligned. They looked nice, but farther objects were blurred. This was the opposite when things in the distance were in focus and aligned. Also, lights at night from street lamps, signs, cars, etc. All seemed very blurry and rather disrupting regardless of anything I did.

I did try to get it working properly in a few other games I play. But most were literally unplayable due to compatibility issues. So GTA V is really my only experience with a mostly compatible game.

I got the 3D vision  glasses with my current monitor because i really wanted to try it out.

I regret buying it, for me its nothing more than a gimmick, I love the 27" 144hz monitor that came with it, but i have been using the glasses for a total of maybe 30 minutes in the two years or so ive had them. They give me head aches, so they have been gathering dust ever since.

That paired with the arrival of VR and the fact that i can use the rift for many hours straight  without any ill side effects makes 3D Vision obsolete in my eyes.

In fact id be willing to sell my glasses to you for whatever postage price is to Illinois :D If i can find them that is. Just keep in mind its the glasses only, the Infrared transmitter is built into my monitor.

Awesome, thanks for the responses guys.  I'll hold off on them then.  Hopefully we can get better implementations of 3D down the road otherwise or VR takeover.