ReVive developers bypass Oculus DRM entirely

GeekPower0
Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

Yeah I understand that mentality, ie "game best experienced with our hardware"

but its going to be annoying having exclusive titles on PC that require specific hardware to work

Absolutely but only thing we can do is not to buy exclusive titles and that's a struggle and a half (some people just do what they wont for their own good).

Have u picked up VIVE / Oculus or u waiting couple of gens ?

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Just now, Thony said:

Absolutely but only thing we can do is not to buy exclusive titles and that's a struggle and a half (some people just do what they wont for their own good).

Have u picked up VIVE / Oculus or u waiting couple of gens ?

If I had the money id have bought a vive right now, but I need to upgrade my camera and other more important stuff at the moment

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

25 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Not open source, I meant standardisation

like, Displayport, HDMI, USB C, they are standards, and VR needs a set of standards that mean that any manufacturers VR headset will work on all software

i dont want to have to buy 10 different headsets just to play 10 different games

Tell that to console manufacturers.

>.>

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

15 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I've had a DK2 for a long while and still enjoying it, but if I go for a retail HMD in the future its probably going to be Vive, despite a higher cost.

Same here I've got a DK2 also. Given all the bad press likely lack of support for Oculus on Linux. I'm gonna be getting a Vive at some point.

Smile and wave boys, smile and wave...

Foxy(Main Rig): CPU: i7 4790k GPU: 2x Reference GTX 980's RAM: HyperX 4x4GB 

PSU: Corsair CX 750W Mobo: ASUS Z97-A Pro Case: Bitfenix Shinobi (Black & Gold)

Occulus will be the arbiter of their own demise.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

20 hours ago, werto165 said:

Some of the prices for the games are a little crazy and with the lack of refunds and lack of demos I imagine lots of people would result to piracy. The climb for example is £40, no way in hell do I think k it's worth that. £20-25 maybe but not that. I understand that making a VR game is certainly a risk and the market is quite small for it but still. Me wants cheap games, haven't paid that much for a game since I was on console. Last game I payed close to that was fallout 4 and that has much more game. 

Free demo to try out full demo.

On 23/5/2016 at 8:38 PM, Briggsy said:

I've had a DK2 for a long while and still enjoying it, but if I go for a retail HMD in the future its probably going to be Vive, despite a higher cost.

won't they end up costing the same anyway once they start including their controllers (not the xbone controller, the oculus branded one that has to come)?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

this is good news for my friend who just got a vive and wanted to play war thunder with it... he was sad when I told him he couldn't.

btw the vive is awesome. I want one... but money. Guess ill just drive down the road whenever I want to play it instead LOL

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

48 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

this is good news for my friend who just got a vive and wanted to play war thunder with it... he was sad when I told him he couldn't.

btw the vive is awesome. I want one... but money. Guess ill just drive down the road whenever I want to play it instead LOL

War Thunder will get a patch soon with official Vive support... until then I guess he can use revive if he must.

ugh. what a joke.

this proprietary gaming thing is ridiculous as a whole.

VR isn't a console,oculus. it's a display.

they really need to stop pulling rank on game developers.

25 minutes ago, durpflip said:

ugh. what a joke.

this proprietary gaming thing is ridiculous as a whole.

VR isn't a console,oculus. it's a display.

they really need to stop pulling rank on game developers.

For Oculus It looks like their longterm strategy is not to rely on making money by just selling HMDs, because then they always will have to compete against newer models of the HTC Vive and whatever else and it will be an arms race (e.g. Nvidia vs AMD). People can switch any time.

Instead they want to grow their store into the go-to place for Rift virtual reality content. Like the Apple store for Apple products. Then every gen people will buy the newer version of Rift in order to maintain compatibility with their game library. And then buy more games from Oculus Home and so on... so the hardware helps to drive more software sales and the software helps to drive new hardware sales.

For the HTC Vive it's different; it's a collaboration between two companies and a different business model.

HTC makes the hardware and sells it at a profit. They are willing to get into an arms race and sell hardware like they already do in the smart phone world.

Valve makes their money separately from games sold on Steam. They don't make money of Vive HMD sales, they just want people to buy games on Steam. You may buy a Vive this gen and switch to Rift next gen Valve doesn't care, they just want you to buy games because then they get a cut.

13 hours ago, Thony said:

If their intention is "we want the games designed for Oculus work best they possibly can" then it makes sense to lock it down and avoid negative reviews from people playing the Oculus games on VIVE. 

They are VR headsets but I believe their controllers are little different and thats where things could get tricky.

IMO games should be designed with VIVE in mind since these are the two best headsets to date.

By that logic, it would also "make sense" to for example lock the new DOOM game to only work on the GTX 1080. It would avoid negative reviews from people trying to run the game on their toasters and getting sub 60 FPS.

At the end of the day, the customers lose with that kind of approach, and that's bad.

5 hours ago, Humbug said:

For Oculus It looks like their longterm strategy is not to rely on making money by just selling HMDs, because then they always will have to compete against newer models of the HTC Vive and whatever else and it will be an arms race (e.g. Nvidia vs AMD). People can switch any time.

Instead they want to grow their store into the go-to place for Rift virtual reality content. Like the Apple store for Apple products. Then every gen people will buy the newer version of Rift in order to maintain compatibility with their game library. And then buy more games from Oculus Home and so on... so the hardware helps to drive more software sales and the software helps to drive new hardware sales.

For the HTC Vive it's different; it's a collaboration between two companies and a different business model.

HTC makes the hardware and sells it at a profit. They are willing to get into an arms race and sell hardware like they already do in the smart phone world.

Valve makes their money separately from games sold on Steam. They don't make money of Vive HMD sales, they just want people to buy games on Steam. You may buy a Vive this gen and switch to Rift next gen Valve doesn't care, they just want you to buy games because then they get a cut.

I really really hope that going the Apple route fails them hard.  I don't want to have to pick a camp and lose any old games if I switch.

Though, on that same note.  I wonder how well people will be able to play "old" games, simply from a visual/graphical standpoint.  Yah, new hardware plays old games better/faster.  But, imagine going from a future ultra high res super fast refresh rate game, back to a current comparatively low res slow refresh rate game.  It would be like going from 8k ultra 240fps Skyrim down to Mario64.  It might be fun for nostalgia, and it works just fine for games played on a tv/monitor.  But I wonder how well this will translate/compare when trying to do it in VR.  Your brain may not be able to handle going back, lol, or it simply may look too crappy.

10 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

won't they end up costing anyway once they start including their controllers anyway (not the xbone controller, the oculus branded one that has to come)?

yeah true enough.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

3 hours ago, ChineseChef said:

Though, on that same note.  I wonder how well people will be able to play "old" games, simply from a visual/graphical standpoint.  Yah, new hardware plays old games better/faster.  But, imagine going from a future ultra high res super fast refresh rate game, back to a current comparatively low res slow refresh rate game.  It would be like going from 8k ultra 240fps Skyrim down to Mario64. 

Future HMDs will have higher resolutions. So even if you play older games you will be rendering those at higher res.

16 hours ago, suicidalfranco said:

in before oculus starts using denuvo drm 

Was just about to say that.

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

2 hours ago, Humbug said:

Future HMDs will have higher resolutions. So even if you play older games you will be rendering those at higher res.

But that is still reliant on texture packs and things like that.  If the original art assets are only of X resolution, you can't really just add more detail.  And I think gameplay itself may present issues, games may simply feel more and more "flat" as they age.  Since newer games will likely allow more interaction as computers and devs get better with VR.

41 minutes ago, ChineseChef said:

But that is still reliant on texture packs and things like that.  If the original art assets are only of X resolution, you can't really just add more detail.  And I think gameplay itself may present issues, games may simply feel more and more "flat" as they age.  Since newer games will likely allow more interaction as computers and devs get better with VR.

Yeah but it'll be nice to play without anti-aliasing. Currently, some games are difficult to see stuff from a distance.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

10 hours ago, LAwLz said:

By that logic, it would also "make sense" to for example lock the new DOOM game to only work on the GTX 1080. It would avoid negative reviews from people trying to run the game on their toasters and getting sub 60 FPS.

At the end of the day, the customers lose with that kind of approach, and that's bad.

Absolutely, it's a business and u can never satisfy everyone but cutting the market in half does make it even worse. 

As far as people keep buying and eating their crap, they will continue and push the limits of our patience. 

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

13 hours ago, ChineseChef said:

Well yeah the art assets won't be any better.

But the pixel density will be much higher than current gen HMDs. And that will make a big difference because it's currently a weakness compared to traditional LCD monitors (pixels per degree FOV).