[Build Log] From an Aussie

Parkway Drive
With your lighting, why not get an NZXT HUE? Means you can control almost every aspect of it.
From the start of my build I really wanted to keep it just blue and black, My last build in my Antec 900 was all blue and black and I guess its just my favourite colour. I really didn't want to have anything other than a fan controller in my build.

Thank you heaps for checking out my build guys. It really means a lot that people would even have a look.

Cheers

I just want to say a huge thanks to Linus, Slick and all the mods on the forums. Thanks for featuring my build and I know it's probably getting old at this point but I am truly honoured for being featured on the live stream. Keep up all the hard work and thanks for doing what you guys do best.

Cheers

Justin

Always good to see a fellow Aussie buying from PCCG. I live not from them so I get to pickup my stuff :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Always good to see a fellow Aussie buying from PCCG. I live not from them so I get to pickup my stuff :)
Aw mate, so lucky, I wish I did, I'd probably only order from them since they've got awesome customer support and stocks. Wish they had a store in Sydney.

Not to mention their site is way better than a lot of PC stores, it's not hard to get a functioning website that actually looks good.

+1 to Linus and Slick for the shout out to all the Aussies in the Live stream.

+1 for Aussies!

Machine looks beast, mate.

Mate, you called it for sure. Couldn't believe my build was featured.

Love the shout out to the Aussies from Linus and Slick.

Congratz on featured on the stream! I can't even say anything to your rig, it's just perfect!
Thanks JupiteL

I'm sure you could :D but I'm glad you think I did so good for my first watercooling build.

There's a lot more things I wish I could change but time and money constraints at the moment are holding me back.

You guys on the forums are awesome, thanks for all the positive feedback and support.

My question is where did you get all the stuff to Mod the Maximus V. Would love to see how you did that.
The LEDs for the ROG logo I got from Jaycar. They're 3mm Blue Waterclear 3700mcd 12V LEDs.

The perspex for the ROG logo is just 3mm Blue tinted cast acrylic that I ordered on eBay from some UK company.

The paint is from Bunnings. White Knights Squirts - Bermuda Blue.

That's it. those are pretty much all the things I used to modify the motherboard.

DAY 13

So when I last left I was waiting for my last 2 shippments of fittings from PCCG and TheKoolRoom. Well they arrived at the end of last week and I've been busy fixing and getting everything together. It's finally finished...for now anyway.

The guys at PCCG and The KoolRoom definately have their shit together on their shipping.

Didn't take a pic of the PCCG order but it was just some LEDs and extra fittings. I didn't end up using the Bitspower crystal links. The guys at TKR were nice enough to send a free drink.

I also added in a drainage line/tap right at the lowest point in my loop and also an extra 90 degree fitting as my fillport that I just hook an extra line too.

Another bonus was I found some perfect distilled water in Big W out at Stocklands Wetherill Park. From an Australian company that's also located in Wetherill Park that use a proper process for distilled water, rather than just demineralised.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

th_165.jpg th_168.jpg th_169.jpg th_170.jpg

th_171.jpg th_167.jpg th_166.jpg th_184.jpg

Wetherill, you must live near me then :P

DAY 13

So when I last left I was waiting for my last 2 shippments of fittings from PCCG and TheKoolRoom. Well they arrived at the end of last week and I've been busy fixing and getting everything together. It's finally finished...for now anyway.

The guys at PCCG and The KoolRoom definately have their shit together on their shipping.

Didn't take a pic of the PCCG order but it was just some LEDs and extra fittings. I didn't end up using the Bitspower crystal links. The guys at TKR were nice enough to send a free drink.

I also added in a drainage line/tap right at the lowest point in my loop and also an extra 90 degree fitting as my fillport that I just hook an extra line too.

Another bonus was I found some perfect distilled water in Big W out at Stocklands Wetherill Park. From an Australian company that's also located in Wetherill Park that use a proper process for distilled water, rather than just demineralised.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

th_165.jpg th_168.jpg th_169.jpg th_170.jpg

th_171.jpg th_167.jpg th_166.jpg th_184.jpg

I just go out there a bit cause the girlfriend lives out there. I'm in the Inner west area.

DAY 9

So since having the Maximus V Formula for almost a week now I've completed most of the motherboard mods I set out to do. I think most of you will find this crazy (and I do to some extent, but desperation does funny things). Anyway I really wanted the MVF but sticking to my Blue and Black theme I needed to convert whatever was red on the board. Firstly, Yes this probably has voided my warranty but I'm a perfectionist in the case of PCs and it took me a long time to prep and do all this perfectly. I haven't found anyone in the world who has done this to the Maximus V Formula yet so I may be the only one (dumb enough to do so).

So I took off the block and preped it for spraying. I researched as much as I could on painting motherboards, heatsinks, etc. Actually found a guy that sprayed his entire board including PCB and a few heatsinks and his PC still ran fine. So that was a bit reassuring considering I was only painting the plastic slots and only a small part of the Fusion Thermo which I'll be watercooling and results have shown with water cooling on the block it pretty much stays at ambient temps.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

th_114.jpg

115.jpg

So after reinstalling the block I went on to do the rest of the board. SATA, RAM and PCI slots. Even the start button on the top corner.

Luckily it has a white glow behind the start which I really liked so it actually looks good with the blue button and white letters. The reset however was red so I've been able to neutralise the glow behind it so it doesn't glow. Haven't looked in the bios yet but I know theres and option to turn off the redline PCB lights next to the SupremeFX IV so that will be turning off. I was looking at putting blue LEDs below the redline and that would make it glow but when I tested with some blue LEDs it actually made the light come through as white for some reason and didn't look as nice. So I'll just be leaving them off.

You'll notice that I haven't got any paint on any other components and even on the PCI slots, the pins at the bottom don't have any paint.

It pretty much looks like some Spider-Man mod but all the red parts that you can see will be covered by the hardware or anything that is visible is blue.

th_116.jpg th_117.jpg th_118.jpg th_119.jpg

th_120.jpg th_121.jpg th_122.jpg

th_123.jpg

The next mod that I've been working on is the glowing ROG logo at the center of the board. I had ordered some blue perspex from the UK so I was waiting for that to arrive.

124.jpg

I was wondering how hard it was to paint the PCI slots? I want to get a Asus Sabertooth 990fx mobo but some of the slots are tan and it is going into a NZXT Phantom 410 black with orange trim. I was just going to try and put some orange lights in it to try and mask the empty slots and other tan spots. The funny thing is I might have a black and orange case, tan, brown and black mobo and a green Razer mouse and keyboard. Not a really clear main color.

DAY 9

So since having the Maximus V Formula for almost a week now I've completed most of the motherboard mods I set out to do. I think most of you will find this crazy (and I do to some extent, but desperation does funny things). Anyway I really wanted the MVF but sticking to my Blue and Black theme I needed to convert whatever was red on the board. Firstly, Yes this probably has voided my warranty but I'm a perfectionist in the case of PCs and it took me a long time to prep and do all this perfectly. I haven't found anyone in the world who has done this to the Maximus V Formula yet so I may be the only one (dumb enough to do so).

So I took off the block and preped it for spraying. I researched as much as I could on painting motherboards, heatsinks, etc. Actually found a guy that sprayed his entire board including PCB and a few heatsinks and his PC still ran fine. So that was a bit reassuring considering I was only painting the plastic slots and only a small part of the Fusion Thermo which I'll be watercooling and results have shown with water cooling on the block it pretty much stays at ambient temps.

CLICK TO ENLARGE

th_114.jpg

115.jpg

So after reinstalling the block I went on to do the rest of the board. SATA, RAM and PCI slots. Even the start button on the top corner.

Luckily it has a white glow behind the start which I really liked so it actually looks good with the blue button and white letters. The reset however was red so I've been able to neutralise the glow behind it so it doesn't glow. Haven't looked in the bios yet but I know theres and option to turn off the redline PCB lights next to the SupremeFX IV so that will be turning off. I was looking at putting blue LEDs below the redline and that would make it glow but when I tested with some blue LEDs it actually made the light come through as white for some reason and didn't look as nice. So I'll just be leaving them off.

You'll notice that I haven't got any paint on any other components and even on the PCI slots, the pins at the bottom don't have any paint.

It pretty much looks like some Spider-Man mod but all the red parts that you can see will be covered by the hardware or anything that is visible is blue.

th_123.jpg

The next mod that I've been working on is the glowing ROG logo at the center of the board. I had ordered some blue perspex from the UK so I was waiting for that to arrive.

124.jpg

Hey mate, thanks for checking out the build.

As long as you carefully mask off everything around the plastic slot you'll be fine, I didn't paint anywhere near where the pins would be and a lot of the time spent was preping the board. Go slowly, you have all the time in the world. As for the painting it wasn't hard at all. I'm a computing and visual arts major at uni, but I hated art, it was a last minute choice cause they took off music from my course. So really anyone could do it with the right patience and preparation.

Also if you know you won't be using certain slots and you don't want to paint them, you can use slot protectors. I used one on my bottom PCIe slot. Mine were Lamptron slot protectors, not sure if there are any others but it just saved me from painting over the top of the slot.

I'd try to stick to a colour theme. Most modding builds I've seen use 3 colours at max, even then I'd try to keep it minimal. I stuck to just blue and black. But I really just wanted blue accents, not a mass hysteria of blue everywhere in my case.

I think an orange and black build would be awesome, I wanted to make a black and yellow but unfortunately its hard to find nice LED fans and LEDs alone that are a nice yellow.

Goodluck with your build, I'll be looking forward to seeing it on here when you post.

DAY 9

CLICK TO ENLARGE

th_114.jpg

115.jpg

th_123.jpg

124.jpg

Thanks for all the help. My build is still in the planing stage and funding stage (more of funding stage and sort of done with planning). I hopefully will start gathering parts at the end of May or early June depending. I kind of want to keep on color but I don't want to crew up the special ceramic coating. I also like the case and mobo so I don't want to change those for a better color. Thanks again for the help.

This is making me want to get up off my ass and start getting together all my stuff for my Green and black Modding. Ironically in an AMD machine.

Also +1 for Aussie builders, Gotta love PCCG

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

nice build man !!! so where are you going to put the 2 8800gt at ? if you giving it away can i have it for my little brother ? thanks

This is making me want to get up off my ass and start getting together all my stuff for my Green and black Modding. Ironically in an AMD machine.

Thanks for checking out the build.

Hey if I can mod a red and black board to blue then you can mod an AMD build to green as well.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the build

nice build man !!! so where are you going to put the 2 8800gt at ? if you giving it away can i have it for my little brother ? thanks
Thanks mate.

I have them in my little brothers build. He just took my entire old system but I took my HDDs from it.

Probably one of the best investments I've ever made with those 8800GTs

Loving your build and details man!
Thanks Rohizzle for checking out my build.

It makes all the effort go along way when people can get recognition for it.

Look forward to seeing everyone elses builds.

DAY 9

CLICK TO ENLARGE

th_114.jpg

115.jpg

th_123.jpg

124.jpg

No problem mate. Wish you all the best and more than happy to help.

Thanks for checking out my build

Cheers

awesome job dude! especially what you did with the mobo! the detail you took... nice! and a great rig! iwas planning on painting my whole mobo in white... i made a test first in a retiring graphics card... but i think i wont take a risk as i'm tight budget these days!.. i will check things you post in the future!

Well I've been collecting old cases fro the tip to practice metal work, hoping to get good enough by the next gen of CPU/Chipset/Graphics so i build a custom case.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."