8 (or is it 10??) Gamers, 1 CPU

LinusTech
3 hours ago, TheGleaner said:

So if I am thinking right... the thin pcs just simply remote desktop connect to the main server Vms, correct?(sorry having brain fart)

From what I saw and half assume... ;) the "thin" clients are running full Windows with Steam installed.  He is then using Steam Home-Streaming to connect to the VM's to run the games off of it. 

No remote desktop is used.  Team Viewer is only used to sign in onto Steam on the VM so the same login on the Zotac pc's can stream from it.

A true thin client has something like Windows Embedded with basic OS functions along with the ability to connect to the virtual desktop.  Zero clients may be even further limited.  Point is really just to connect the user to the VM without having to troubleshoot/deploy a full fledged pc.

Enterprise solutions for Virtual Desktop Infrastructure includes pricey software backend such as VMware vSphere, vCenter, and Horizon View.  Unraid with its ability to pass GPU's for gaming makes sense as a simpler solution for homes to use.  Although it definitely requires some above average PC know-how to setup with comprehension.

can this run as a single pc for 18x50" video wall screens?

@LinusTech Could you use Ethernet/networking to send HDMI and Peripheral signals so that you connect direct to the VM instead of needing to sign in to steam and using in house streaming? 

1 hour ago, BadWolf- said:

@LinusTech Could you use Ethernet/networking to send HDMI and Peripheral signals so that you connect direct to the VM instead of needing to sign in to steam and using in house streaming? 

I totally agree!  @LinusTech I would totally want to see a response video showing this working!  HDBaseT FTW!

15 minutes ago, Apathetik said:

inb4 LMG's next sponsor is Cray. Could you guys imagine how giddy Linus would be unboxing a supercomputer from Cray? LOL

9000 gamers 1024 CPUs xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

@LinusTech To achieve your goal of having one central system for household computing, would you be able to use the Elgato Thunderbolt Dock used here with UnRaid?

That way the user doesn't have to be in the same room, the video and input isn't network based, and there would not be a need for a complete computer at the user's location.

Edit: Or possibly a more affordable USB 3.0 hub and USB (optical) cables?

• 2 weeks later...

The only problem with the price tag they give this sort of streaming system (by system, I mean all the client computers as well as the server) is that they do not include the networking hardware that's used to stream this much data at once from the machine, and Linus does mention that it's a LOT of data in the video.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume LinusTechTips has some pretty badass networking hardware in their building, likely running at 10Gbit for their video transfers and such. A single 10gbit switch can easily cost upwards of $2000. 

How might this be done without relying on Steam? I have non-steam games that I'd like to pipe to the TV downstairs. I could set up one of those NUC's, and even use the "magic" mouse controls Linus showcased a while ago. But what would I use to get reasonable latency between the remote keyboard/mouse and the gaming machine, or between the powerful video card upstairs and the TV downstairs without using Steam link? I guess what I really want is a gaming-grade remote desktop solution that lets the bigger machine stream anything at all to the remote client. And judging by the comments above, I'm not the only one.

2 cpus. Liar?

Intel Core i7 4790 CPU  - Stock cooler - Gigabyte GTX 1080 GPU

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard - HyperX 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Ram (Dual Channel) - Cooler Master V750 PSU

Samsumg Evo 250gb SSD - Segate 2TB - NZXT S340 Mid-tower.

4 hours ago, Chinthor said:

How might this be done without relying on Steam? I have non-steam games that I'd like to pipe to the TV downstairs. I could set up one of those NUC's, and even use the "magic" mouse controls Linus showcased a while ago. But what would I use to get reasonable latency between the remote keyboard/mouse and the gaming machine, or between the powerful video card upstairs and the TV downstairs without using Steam link? I guess what I really want is a gaming-grade remote desktop solution that lets the bigger machine stream anything at all to the remote client. And judging by the comments above, I'm not the only one.

Nvidia Game Stream would work well.

• 2 weeks later...
On May 22, 2016 at 9:19 PM, hsolo505 said:

HDMI over Cat6 would bypass the need for Win7+ and Steam Home-Streaming.  You would no longer be relying on your network bandwidth.  Rather, your connection would be from the host GPU via HDMI --> HDMI HDBaseT Transmitter --> patch panel via Cat6 --> Cat6 drop --> HDBaseT Receiver --> HDMI to LCD/TV.  USB extension would be similar.

Again, if you use an HDMI Matrix Switch (ie 10x10), you could get a very clean setup to all the Receivers you want.

@LinusTech  I hope you reconsider your final thoughts as I think HDBaseT and USB over Cat6 should solve any drawbacks described in the video.  I am actually 3/4 through my own 3 HTPC+NAS, 1 CPU project inspired by your videos.  It would be awesome to see the 10 Gamers, 1 CPU come out flawless and without issues.  I'm a 1300+ VM, 40+ host VMWare vSphere Datacenter System Admin and always come back to your videos everyday for enjoyment!

Now this is what I'd love to hear more about. 

I'm currently seeing 60fps max using Steam In-Home Streaming. If I can game directly on the unRAID box from across the house using one of these adapters, I'd be very happy as I can get 100+fps with my GTX 1070.

Though one limitation I'm seeing is no 1440p support with any of these HDBaseT adapters. Any ideas?

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 10:34 AM, ssaulsbu said:

Now this is what I'd love to hear more about. 

I'm currently seeing 60fps max using Steam In-Home Streaming. If I can game directly on the unRAID box from across the house using one of these adapters, I'd be very happy as I can get 100+fps with my GTX 1070.

Though one limitation I'm seeing is no 1440p support with any of these HDBaseT adapters. Any ideas?

I think limitations would be both the 60 Hz and the non HDTV resolution standard of 1440p for HDBaseT Transmitters/Receivers.  Don't see a way around this.  =/

This would primarily offload the network bandwidth that streaming needs and no longer require h264 compression.  This would be lossless video sent to the HDBaseT receiver @60Hz (60 fps) without any streaming hick-ups with standard HDTV resolutions.  ie 4K@60Hz like Linus was using in his video.

• 2 weeks later...

@linustech this is only for barebone or it can be an single gaming pc (or server), and the server works with sli and crossfire (and and nvidia both gpu)?

On ‎2016‎.‎05‎.‎25‎. at 2:47 PM, abinakil said:

can this run as a single pc for 18x50" video wall screens?

maybe with kmv Switch.

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2016 at 7:28 AM, Struggle2Real said:

Clients.

soo, how does he 'stream' the data from the PC to the thin Clients?

Loved it, but hate how it's actually a pain to set this thing up, especially if you aren't willing to pay a lot of money for running costs and/or lack an always on or reliable connection.

Linus' earrings suit him

Please check out this thread: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/659360-saints-row-2s-features/

Rizen and Vehga 2017

• 5 weeks later...

Id really like to see an implementation of this system but without leveraging networking infrastructure and removing the bottleneck of Ethernet. I had tis same idea a while ago too but lack funding to really make it a reality. 

Weather its possible yet i dont know, but if you could get an 8 or 10 port USB3.0 dock along with 8 or 10 GPUS then you could try a different type of solution.

Firstly Belkin B2B122-BLK USB 3.0 Dual DVI Display Video Docking i bought this device to go along with the research and it works really well. This would replace the thin-clients you are currently using and has support for audio, dual DVI (1 DVI-I and 1 DVI-D), an Ethernet port and some USB3.0 ports.

When testing the device i used all the USB 3 ports for mouse, keyboard and headset, the Ethernet on a 1GBps LAN connection and both DVI ports (one DVI - DVI and one DVI - HDMI). After a full day of using it i honestly could not tell the difference regardless of what task i was doing.

If you could pair this with some USB3.0 optical cables you should be able to get about 30m-50m cables which would not only remove the huge strain on your existing network, it would stop the onboard NIC of the server board having to deal with 8/10 virtual machines all streaming at the same time and impacting system performance.

The cables are pretty expensive but tbh if you take the cost of the thin-clients and 10GBps switches /networking stuff its not huge. (still pretty costly though)

USB3.0 Active Optical Cable 50m $499.00

• 5 months later...

What ever happened with the Supermicro sys-4028gr-trt? We dont see it in the rack in the videos. It would be a bummer to have it go to waste collecting dust.

I would love more video's on it and I have been looking at getting myself that one aswell, but finding them seccond hand is near to impossible and I cant afford them new.

Soo what happened with it and what is it doing now?

On 4/10/2017 at 6:25 PM, Don_prince said:

What ever happened with the Supermicro sys-4028gr-trt? We dont see it in the rack in the videos. It would be a bummer to have it go to waste collecting dust.

I would love more video's on it and I have been looking at getting myself that one aswell, but finding them seccond hand is near to impossible and I cant afford them new.

Soo what happened with it and what is it doing now?

I believe it got turned into a rendering/processing server. I wonder what happened to using it as a "what happens with 44 different VMs on youtube" project...

Thats what the video says,

Thing is more than capable for 44 VM's and its one of the purposes it was build for, however dont expect gaming performance, The only way you can do more than 10 is with GRID cards and that will not work for every game. This again is purpose for general vm work, calculating and rendering. 

The issue is though, they have to 1 put this in a place with a lot of power, (it needs 3 of its 4 powersupplies to boot) around 4000 watt, so its not like you can put that in every position in the office, because you simply burn out the wiring. 2 this thing is massive, and heavy, another reason to not just put it in an office space, 3 this thing is noisy A F , when bussy, It wont help production if you are rendering with this thing at your feet. So unless the videos are far behind, where did it go? Its a bit on the big and noisy side to just hide it and have it running somewhere else than a server closet...

On 4/12/2017 at 6:26 PM, TheGleaner said:

I believe it got turned into a rendering/processing server. I wonder what happened to using it as a "what happens with 44 different VMs on youtube" project...

Yeah I have been wondering that too. Maybe legal stuff got in the way.

13 hours ago, Nardella said:

Yeah I have been wondering that too. Maybe legal stuff got in the way.

What legal issues would this run into? Isn't that what the processor/system is normally typically used for? I thought that was a regular use case scenario 

If you quote me or are replying to me please @ me. Thanks