What are some good small cases?

Bleedingyamato

I'm looking to build a desktop for a friend who currently has a laptop but wants to play certain high system requirements like Rise of the Tomb Raider for example that need a 980ti or better to play at max settings at 1080p and 60+ fps.

Since they've only used laptops I'm concerned my friend wouldn't accept a desktop if it was too big and bulky looking like my NZXT Phantom 240 case might be to them.

So what I need help with is this:

I need some recommendations for some small size cases (tower preferably but I'm willing to consider cube/rectangle shaped cases too) that can fit a high end GPU like a 980ti/1070/1080.  Idk how long some of those can get but I don't want to buy something not knowing if it's good quality and definitely if it wouldn't be able to fit a good enough GPU for what my friend will need.

Seperate ideas for micro ATX and ATX would be helpful if there would be any micro ATX cases that would work for this since I'm open to using either micro ATX or ATX.

I have zero experience buying cases or making sure they can fit longer GPUs or not.  Assuming length the main concern.

The SG13B I use seems to fit most long gpus (fits my MSI 970) and looks nice imo

Define Nano S is pretty good I think :) Got the bigger brother R5

i5 4670k | Noctua NH0-U12S | Asus Z97M Plus | Kingston HyperX Fury 8gb | Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream 6G | Samsung 850 EVO 250gb

WD Caviar Blue 1tb | Seasonic M12II 850W | Fractal Design Define R5 | Dell U3014 1600p 30" 60Hz

Corsair K65 | Razer Orochi | Bose QuietComfort 15 | Creative SBS A350 2.1

Silverstone TJ08B is a really nice case. Kept my 290 at 80-50 degrees with an open air cooler while OCed by 13%. It has dust filters for the power supply and front intake. It has 4 HDD slots but sadly no SSD mounts without an aftermarket 3.5 to 2.5 mounting bracket.

ITX cases like the RVZ02 or Node 202 have a very small footprint when upright. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-case-sstrvz02b

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcanode202bk

If you want to go atx, the S340 is pretty compact.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-case-cas340ww1

6 minutes ago, Raccatography said:

Define Nano S is pretty good I think :) Got the bigger brother R5

These are both large cases. All of Fractal's Define Series cases are far from compact. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

My vote goes for the Silverstone FT03. Very small footprint.

I've never understood the point of going compact with an ATX case, so I don't know any off the top of my head.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

20 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

ITX cases like the RVZ02 or Node 202 have a very small footprint when upright. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/silverstone-case-sstrvz02b

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcanode202bk

If you want to go atx, the S340 is pretty compact.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-case-cas340ww1

These are both large cases. All of Fractal's Define Series cases are far from compact. 

Does mini itx leave out many features compared to micro or full ATX?

I may have unintentionally slightly exaggerated how small I'd want this to be.  I think mini itx might be smaller than I need to use.

It doesn't have to be full ATX so cases that can only fit micro ATX are ok besides full ATX mid towers.  

The S340 looks nice but whether it's a mid tower of mini tower or other I was hoping for something with a spot for an optical drive.

I'll take a look at the other suggestions later.  Thank you everyone for all the replies so far.  The help is greatly appreciated.  

2 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Does mini itx leave out many features compared to micro or full ATX?

I may have unintentionally slightly exaggerated how small I'd want this to be.  I think mini itx might be smaller than I need to use.

It doesn't have to be full ATX so cases that can only fit micro ATX are ok besides full ATX mid towers.  

The S340 looks nice but whether it's a mid tower of mini tower or other I was hoping for something with a spot for an optical drive.

ITX has less features and expansion with only 1 pcie slot for a graphics card, 2 ram slots as opposed to 4 or more, and less fan headers, etc. 

Other options:

88R: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011086ww

100R: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011075ww

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Sorry but I tried looking for the cases and most of them either don't seem like what I need or I can't find on Amazon.

Anyone have more ideas?

There are few truly small mATX cases, most are as big as, or almost as big as mid sized ATX cases.

If you want small then ITX is the way to go.

Thermaltake  - Core V1

Fractal Design - Define Nano S, Node 304

Phanteks - Enthoo Evolve ITX

Corsair  - 250D

18 hours ago, razor767 said:

Prodigy M?

I tried looking for it but neither Amazon or Newegg seems to sell it themselves unfortunately.  

15 hours ago, ThomasD said:

There are few truly small mATX cases, most are as big as, or almost as big as mid sized ATX cases.

Thermaltake  - Core V1

Corsair  - 250D

Perhaps but won't an itx board leave out useful features that using at least a micro board would offer?

On 5/23/2016 at 9:10 PM, Bleedingyamato said:

Sorry but I tried looking for the cases and most of them either don't seem like what I need or I can't find on Amazon.

Anyone have more ideas?

Can you better describe what you're looking for?

17 hours ago, ThomasD said:

Thermaltake  - Core V1

Corsair  - 250D

These are large ITX cases and aren't much smaller than an average matx case or small mid tower. 

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

I tried looking for it but neither Amazon or Newegg seems to sell it themselves unfortunately.  

The Prodigy M isn't small in the first place. 

Below are the footprint sizes to give a better idea of how big/small these cases are.

86400mm² S340

82160mm²  Core V1
81200mm²  Nano S
90850mm² Evolv ITX
97227mm²  250D
93500mm² Node 304
101000mm² Prodgy M
92400mm² Corsair 350D
94200mm² 100R

At the bottom are the 350D and 100R to represent the large matx cases and smaller mid towers. They aren't much bigger than the mentioned itx/matx cases which may seen good in pictures until you see them in person. Cube-like cases like those mentioned are often also more unwieldy since they aren't thinner on one side like a traditional tower but instead fat on both sides.

I'm looking for a small tower that is smaller than a Phantom 240.

https://www.nzxt.com/products/phantom-240-white

But is maybe somewhat larger than this: http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-MicroATX-Tower-Computer-RANGER-M/dp/B006BCK7RM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

I like my Phantom 240 but I suspect it's too big for my friend's taste and has more space for storage and expansion slots than my friend would have a use for.

But something like that Rosewill is a bit too compact for what I want to build for my friend.  So somewhere between the two in terms of size would be ideal.

The build I have in mind needs space for between 2-4 storage drives, preferably an optical drive bay, a full length GPU like a 970/980 ti/1070, at least 1 120mm fan in front and 1 120mm fan in back, normal size PSU like an EVGA Supernova B2, and at least passable or good cable management space behind the motherboard.  

I have no idea if cases like that exist but that's what I'm hoping to find.

Edited by Bleedingyamato

I love the Corsair Carbide Series 88R, great Micro ATX case with great cable management options and plenty of space. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

9 hours ago, legacy99 said:

I love the Corsair Carbide Series 88R, great Micro ATX case with great cable management options and plenty of space. 

That definitely looks like it's a suitable option.  I'll show it to my friend and find out what they think of it.  Thank you for the suggestion.  Do you know of any similar cases from other brands just in case?  My friend is notoriously picky so having multiple options is a good idea.  lol

2 hours ago, ThomasD said:

Fractal Design Arc Mini

It might be a little longer front to back than I was looking for but like the built in fan controller and it seems to be laid out well so I'll keep it in mind.  Thank you for the idea.  

I do have a question though, does it have a power button on the outside somewhere?  I looked at it on Fractal's site and it just mentions a reset button but not s power button.

Also do you know where I could buy it if I'd choose it?  I tried searching for it on Amazon but unless I missed it I don't think Amazon or a prime eligible seller sells it. Would Newegg have it?

17 minutes ago, Rammix said:

I like the look of the Parvum cases although only ITX, they look fairy small.

I looked their site and it looks like they make micro ATX cases but I don't think Amazon or Newegg sells them in the U.S. so buying one would be a little tricky.  I appreciate the suggestion though.  It does look like some interesting case designs.

5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

It might be a little longer front to back than I was looking for but like the built in fan controller and it seems to be laid out well so I'll keep it in mind.  Thank you for the idea.  

I do have a question though, does it have a power button on the outside somewhere?  I looked at it on Fractal's site and it just mentions a reset button but not s power button.

Also do you know where I could buy it if I'd choose it?  I tried searching for it on Amazon but unless I missed it I don't think Amazon or a prime eligible seller sells it. Would Newegg have it?

http://www.amazon.com/Fractal-Design-FD-CA-ARC-MINI-R2-BL-W-MicroATX-Computer/dp/B00NEVKBDI?ie=UTF8&keywords=fractal%20design%20arc%20mini%20r2&qid=1464112731&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

But I'd look elsewhere for a better price.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/fractal-design-case-fdcaarcminir2blw

6 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That definitely looks like it's a suitable option.  I'll show it to my friend and find out what they think of it.  Thank you for the suggestion.  Do you know of any similar cases from other brands just in case?  My friend is notoriously picky so having multiple options is a good idea.  lol

Generally you cant go wrong with any Corsair cases. When I was building my wife's computer I knew I was going for mATX so I looked for a good case with good options for cable management as well as support for full length graphics cards. This case can also support dual 240mm radiators with 1 top mounted and 1 front case mounted. For an mATX this is a pretty sweet case for the features you get and can do with it. Also, I have a Hyper 212 evo in it so plenty of space for larger heatsinks Here is a view of the inside of her finished case minus graphics card since the GTX 560ti I was putting in is dead now. I did put my GTX 760 in there without any issues which is 9.5" in length to test it to make sure it wasn't the PCI slot that was bad. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130932

IMG_3467.JPG

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card