what OS should i put in this system

Poll  

5 members have voted

1. 1. what OS should i put in this system?

• Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit
    • Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit
    • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
    • Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 Bit

Hi so i build old school computers and i just acquired enough parts to build one. here are the specs

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad q9300

Mobo: Asus p5k-e

Ram: 4x 2gb DDR2 800Mhz

GPU: Nvidia quadro FX 3800 1GB GDDR3

PSU: Rosewell Green 430w

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 250GB HDD

Cooling: Thermalright Venomous X 1x 120mm fan in push config

Case: Thermaltake Soprano RS ATX Midtower

so now the only thing that im stuck with is what OS should i put in this system. in terms of cost I already have product keys to all of the windows OS. So that is not my concern. what do you guys think?

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

None of the above! Start with Debian and customize it how you want.

Sig under construction.

all depends on what you are using it for.

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

6 minutes ago, DrM said:

all depends on what you are using it for.

general web surfing and light gaming like minecraft tf2 csgo 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

8 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

general web surfing and light gaming like minecraft tf2 csgo 

Purely because you said gaming I would go with Windows (any version is fine honestly). Game support on Linux is pretty terrible. Then again, I wouldn't expect to game on that at all.

5 minutes ago, cdsboy2000 said:

Purely because you said gaming I would go with Windows (any version is fine honestly). Game support on Linux is pretty terrible. Then again, I wouldn't expect to game on that at all.

thats why i said light gaming. suprisingly that quadro card can do some light gaming at respectable frame rates even at 1080p. in that case im debating between windows 7 and windows 10 

9 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

thats why i said light gaming. suprisingly that quadro card can do some light gaming at respectable frame rates even at 1080p. in that case im debating between windows 7 and windows 10 

I haven't seen Windows 10 harm performance at all so it can't hurt honestly.

UPDATE: i just loaded windows 10 pro 64 bit into this system and overclocked the q9300 to 3.0ghz and it makes a good light gaming/productivity machine.