SNES YPbPr?

Avcoor

The composite cable from my ps2 broke so I decided to buy a component cable for it and was blown away by the increased image quality.

I know that the SNES doesn't support component video but supports pure RGB.

My question is: Using a SCART cable to get the pure RGB signal and a SCART-to-component adaptor would increase the image quality noticeably or wouldn't make much of a difference?

I know there are upscalers out there but I don't want them because I use my old standard definition consoles on a CRT TV, I just don't want the pixel color leak that the composite video causes even on CRTs.

Thanks for the attention.

Intel i7-4770; ASUS Z97M-PLUS/BR ;Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz; EVGA Geforce 970 SC; Corsair TX550M; Raijintek Aeneas

33 minutes ago, Avcoor said:

My question is: Using a SCART cable to get the pure RGB signal and a SCART-to-component adaptor would increase the image quality noticeably or wouldn't make much of a difference?

Nothing since what matters is the output signal

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah, RGB SCART is as good as you're gonna get on SNES. Converting to Component isn't really a good idea either since you're converting back into analog. I strongly recommend picking up a SCART to HDMI converter and just using an HDTV, but if you want to stick with CRTs (don't blame you) you're gonna have to track down an RGB monitor from a broken arcade machine or an old hospital heart monitor or something.

I'm not sure what market SNES you are talking about. I'm assuming a PAL since you are talking about SCART. However, I know with NTSC models, you can just use an S-Video cable if your TV has an S-Video input. That's what I've done. Not quite as good as component but it's a million times better than composite.

I was having trouble reading text in a PS2 game (Mana Khemia 2) so I bought an S-Video cable for the PS2. Mind blown at the difference. So I tracked down one for my GameCube which was surprisingly difficult as many were not made the correct way. It works for GameCube, N64 and SNES so I just kinda move it from system to system since I couldn't track anymore down for while. I got two more on order now that they finally came back in stock on Amazon again. I've got A/V switches for days so I can hook them all up at once.

On 22/04/2016 at 3:05 PM, FullTank1337 said:

you're gonna have to track down an RGB monitor from a broken arcade machine or an old hospital heart monitor or something.

Yeah, not that much of an enthusiast to through all this hassle, maybe in the future.

22 hours ago, B16CXHatch said:

I'm not sure what market SNES you are talking about. I'm assuming a PAL since you are talking about SCART.

Yeah, after posting this I found that only PAL SNES support Scart. I actually don't know which is mine since its a really old bad preserved fifth-handed that had all stickers removed. Unfortunately.

22 hours ago, B16CXHatch said:

I was having trouble reading text in a PS2 game (Mana Khemia 2) so I bought an S-Video cable for the PS2.

Your TV doesn't support component?

I got my cable here in Brazil for around the equivalent of 10USD.

Intel i7-4770; ASUS Z97M-PLUS/BR ;Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz; EVGA Geforce 970 SC; Corsair TX550M; Raijintek Aeneas

Brazil huh? Well, I don't know anything about South America, but North American SNES consoles do support SCART (as long as it's a model 1 and not SNES Jr.). The problem is finding an SNES video cable that supports NTSC SCART. Not an easy thing to do, since they were never officially made afaik, but you can buy them hand-made on ebay for around $20-30 USD or you can track down a Japanese Nintendo brand cable for like $80-90 USD (I don't think that one supports NTSC though). 

All that in addition to $50-100 for an HDMI converter or a heart monitor. 

Kind of worth it though if you're uber-purist, it looks almost HD. Like about as good if not better than VGA. 

If that's too much trouble... Higan Emulator?

My 14

10 hours ago, Avcoor said:

Your TV doesn't support component?

I got my cable here in Brazil for around the equivalent of 10USD.

My 14 year old Sanyo 27" CRT doesn't have component. My newer LCD TVs do but I don't use them for the old stuff. I am wanting to track down a 32" Sony CRT with component though. Just not enough room right now. When I move into a new place I'll do it.

14 hours ago, B16CXHatch said:

I am wanting to track down a 32" Sony CRT with component though.

Yeah, I will be looking for a 32" Sony too in about a year or two. My CRT is a 29" Toshiba, I dont know exactly how old it is but it used to be turned on 24/7 for 4 years straight, since it was hooked to the CCTV system of my father's shop and before that it was used at home for more than 5 years. Sometimes it starts to flicker and shuts down for a fraction of a second and the left part of the screen has a little distortion but otherwise it works pretty well for such a beat up TV, I'm just waiting for it to die.