PSU released the magic smoke

ibom

CX550M blew up during a pretty light gaming session.  It was too late to call corsair today but it's only a couple months old so i expect ill be able to rma no problem.  

Will corsair only exchange like-for-like or can i upgrade to something more reliable.  Or do they offer refunds? 

I was happy with the cx430 I already had,  but apparently I should have done some more research 

3 minutes ago, ibom said:

CX550M blew up during a pretty light gaming session.  It was too late to call corsair today but it's only a couple months old so i expect ill be able to rma no problem.  

Will corsair only exchange like-for-like or can i upgrade to something more reliable.  Or do they offer refunds? 

I was happy with the cx430 I already had,  but apparently I should have done some more research 

Depending on your country they may be required to by law.

10 minutes ago, ibom said:

try this pic for your profileorly.jpg

2 hours ago, ibom said:

CX550M doesn't exist so I assume you had a CX500M. It's not a great PSU by any stretch of the imagination but it shouldn't smoke if built properly. What are you powering by chance?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

CX550M doesn't exist so I assume you had a CX500M. It's not a great PSU by any stretch of the imagination but it shouldn't smoke if built properly. What are you powering by chance?

Right. 500M.

Running an i5 4690k stock cooler, 750ti, ssd and hdd.  Nothing crazy. Although the case is fractal core 1100 and the psu is top mounted with fan facing downwards, so maybe it overheated despite not being under huge load

6 minutes ago, ibom said:

Right. 500M.

Running an i5 4690k stock cooler, 750ti, ssd and hdd.  Nothing crazy. Although the case is fractal core 1100 and the psu is top mounted with fan facing downwards, so maybe it overheated despite not being under huge load

That seems highly unlikely, the whole overheating thing. My computer science lab uses CX500Ms with GTX 960s and 4790ks with stock coolers in Core 1100s and they don't get that hot. I'd assume you have a faulty PSU.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

That seems highly unlikely, the whole overheating thing. My computer science lab uses CX500Ms with GTX 960s and 4790ks with stock coolers in Core 1100s and they don't get that hot. I'd assume you have a faulty PSU.

I wouldn't think so either but someone commented on the poor ambient temperature tolerance of the cx series..  Ha. 

Anyway,  neither here nor there.  Definitely a faulty unit.  And didn't appear to take any other hardware with it.  

Im more curious if corsair will allow a change of model. 

1 minute ago, ibom said:

I wouldn't think so either but someone commented on the poor ambient temperature tolerance of the cx series..  Ha. 

Anyway,  neither here nor there.  Definitely a faulty unit.  And didn't appear to take any other hardware with it.  

Im more curious if corsair will allow a change of model. 

I'm well aware of the CX temperature tolerance issues, but A, those were the last few revisions and if yours is two months old then it's the newest one which has a much higher temperature tolerance of 42C and a 750ti doesn't produce anywhere near enough heat to give a CX issues. I think CWT made a faulty unit from the factory and you were blessed with lots of luck that day.

5 hours ago, IsaacDaGrazin said:

try this pic for your profileorly.jpg

Thanks for the nightmare fuel fam.

On topic: yeah the build isnt that heavy. Most likely the PSU was faulty. 

Regarding the model change... worst of all, they could net you with the same model. But that depends on the country's policy regarding RMA.