Co-founder of Mozilla, Brendan Eich, creates new browser paying users to view advertisements

nobelharvards

NakedSecurity article

DigitalJournal article

PCWorld article

Browser website

Quote from DigitalJournal:

Brendan Eich, the co-founder of Mozilla, has invented a new browser which is a lot nicer to online users, safer, and may even solve the Adblock problem for advertisers. He may also have saved Internet advertising from itself.

Quote from PCWorld:

First announced in January, Brave is a web browser for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android that has ad blocking built in. But instead of eliminating ads entirely, Brave wants to replace them with speedier, non-intrusive ads from its own network. Users who agree to see these ads will then get paid in bitcoin.

The idea of this browser is to block websites' own advertisements, and replace them with internal, carefully screened, supposedly "speedier" and less intrusive advertisements from its own network.

I am anticipating abuse... some basic script forcing this to run on 100 000+ instances, every 10 seconds...? Fairly certain someone like Eich would have already thought of that and have countermeasures in place.

Also, I am uncertain about how ... the article claims this has "saved Internet advertising". I cannot see anyone using this. This seems more like a volunteer opt-in sort of thing.

I just want an adblock that can't be detected by sites.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

how much does he pay? like 0.0001 cent worth of bitcoin per ad

The way I see it, this solves nothing... The websites still won't get revenue from this. The problem was not the advertisers not showing their ads, but websites not getting paid... So, unless I'm missing something, this is absolutely useless, unless you like getting paid 10^-1000 cents for every 1000 ads shown -_-

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

This seems more like stealing Ad Revenue than anything else...

I mean, look at it this way. If your website hasn't opted into his Ad Network, then the plugin will DISABLE your ads, and REPLACE THEM with ads from his Ad Network. Is this even legal? I suppose so, not sure what law it would violate...

But it's shady as fuck.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm viewing this site on Brave right now - thought I might give it a try.

I'm using Linux, so the UI looks out of place, but I have to give them one thing; it is quite fast. I notice the difference a lot.

That being said, the only adverts that I saw being replaced were replaced with a banner that read "Better ads here soon" (or something along those lines). 

I don't see this browser replacing my 'daily driver'. An interesting experiment though, however I would be surprised if trouble didn't come out of it.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

15 minutes ago, Lukiewookie said:

I'm viewing this site on Brave right now - thought I might give it a try.

I'm using Linux, so the UI looks out of place, but I have to give them one thing; it is quite fast. I notice the difference a lot.

That being said, the only adverts that I saw being replaced were replaced with a banner that read "Better ads here soon" (or something along those lines). 

I don't see this browser replacing my 'daily driver'. An interesting experiment though, however I would be surprised if trouble didn't come out of it.

Your account is less than 5 hours old, and this is your only post. I honestly can't trust your review, so I will wait for others to come out. Thanks though.

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

On 2016-04-06 at 1:27 AM, huilun02 said:

Its called Hostsman I think 

That's just a HOSTS file editor, I personally have a few HOSTS list directly in my router's firewall to block ads before they ever reach my computer and I've encountered some websites that says I have adblock enabled and wouldn't let me access them. So it really depends on the type of "anti-adblock" type of detection a website uses.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

8 hours ago, Exhilarare said:

Your account is less than 5 hours old, and this is your only post. I honestly can't trust your review, so I will wait for others to come out. Thanks though.

Not meant to be a review, and I must start somewhere :P.

However, I do feel obliged to point out that under the tab 'Bravery' (fitting, eh :P), you have the option - amongst other things like https - to a) replace adds, b) block adds, and c) allow adds. This might maybe provide a workaround to some of the legal issues people mentioned earlier.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.