Canon 50mm f/1.8 Prime Lens

Go to solution Solved by xQubeZx,

You can get cheap adpters for like 20-30US on amazon (and if you live in Europe buy from amazon.uk so you get rid of import costs and such from US) but the cheap will only do manual focus and aparture. If you want AF you will have to pay around 100-150US I think. 

So I recently bought my self a Sony A6000 DSLR with a kit lens. Before I bought this camera I was bordering this and some canon camera (can't remember which one) and I told my friend who does some professional photography that I was getting the canon. Anyway back to the point as a gift he gave me his Canon 50mm f/1.8 prime lens but as I changed my mind and got the A6000 this prime lens isn't compatible. Anyways I wanted to know if there was some kind of adapter that could convert between the Sony E-Mount(A6000) and The Canon EF mount(50mm prime lens). it needs to be relatively cheap as this isn't a must have but it would just be nice to be able to use this lens otherwise it would be a bit of a waste having such a nice lens just lying around collecting dust.

Anyways thanks in advance any help is greatly appreciated!

Google Canon EF to Sony E adapter, there are cheap ones for around $50. More expensive ones allow for autofocus.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

Sell it

Buy E mount lens

8 hours ago, alfie_fogg1502 said:

SNIP

Yup you can get cheap adapters to mount almost anything to E mount, canon nikon etc anything you want

or sell it and buy native E mount glass (or FE glass)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You can get cheap adpters for like 20-30US on amazon (and if you live in Europe buy from amazon.uk so you get rid of import costs and such from US) but the cheap will only do manual focus and aparture. If you want AF you will have to pay around 100-150US I think. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

• 4 weeks later...

First of if its the 50mm f1.8 STM you cant use it with any none Electrical adapter because it needs power to focus even in manual mode. and second canon lenses only close the aperture when you shoot so if you use a none electrical lens mount you will be stuck with 1.8 there is a way to use other apertures but you need a canon camera to do that.

Needs Update

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2016 at 6:30 PM, clementk said:

First of if its the 50mm f1.8 STM you cant use it with any none Electrical adapter because it needs power to focus even in manual mode. and second canon lenses only close the aperture when you shoot so if you use a none electrical lens mount you will be stuck with 1.8 there is a way to use other apertures but you need a canon camera to do that.

So would something like a metabones speedbooster work for the focusing? 

On 12.4.2016 at 7:30 PM, clementk said:

First of if its the 50mm f1.8 STM

How do you know that?

1 hour ago, alfie_fogg1502 said:

The Metabones adapters that allow the Canon lens to communicate with the Sony E-mount body should support AF.  Read the literature on it.  Keep in mind that a decent Metabones adapter costs as much as a cheap native Sony 50 1.8 lens if not more.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

2 hours ago, .spider. said:

How do you know that?

They look different and are sold as 50mm f1.8 II and the other is 50mm F1.8 STM

This one will work with manual Focus

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462126727&sr=8-2&keywords=50+mm+canon+lens+1.8

This one is Focus By Wire so does not work without power.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-STM-Lens/dp/B00X8MRBCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462126727&sr=8-1&keywords=50+mm+canon+lens+1.8

Needs Update

3 hours ago, alfie_fogg1502 said:

it should but if your planing to spend $600+ on a speedboster to use a $125 Lens i would really reconsider and sell the cheap lens and buy Sony-e mount lens

Needs Update

1 hour ago, clementk said:

They look different and are sold as 50mm f1.8 II and the other is 50mm F1.8 STM

This one will work with manual Focus

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-Camera-Lens/dp/B00007E7JU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1462126727&sr=8-2&keywords=50+mm+canon+lens+1.8

This one is Focus By Wire so does not work without power.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-50mm-1-8-STM-Lens/dp/B00X8MRBCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1462126727&sr=8-1&keywords=50+mm+canon+lens+1.8

I overlooked the "if" in your reply