Gave a friends rig a new Cooler, a much needed cleaning and a complete overhaul of the cables!

Hello LTT!

I am working on a project on my own, where I had some spare parts from my awesome sponsor, Arctic. They made this post possible, so I wish to thank them one thousand times!

I have a good friend, who is currently enrolled in a College program. As a student, his funds are extremely limited, and spending on his computer is not always possible in the way he wants to. 

He have been complaining a ton about how his rig makes noise, and after a visit to check up on the rig; i found two things. 

1: The rig was dusty. Dust accumulation made his coolers ineffective, and drove temps up.

2: He was using a stock cooler. The 2600 is a hot chip, and needs decent cooling if the user wishes low sound from the rig. 

So; here is what I did. I kindly asked him if I could borrow his rig for a guide on how to clean your computer. This is something he had been wanting to do for some time, but due to time pressure had not perused. Obviously, he agreed and handed over the rig. Here is the story told in pictures:

I picked up a fairly plain computer. Few scratches, broken front-panel and missing 5.25" bay cover. Dust filters is always a sight for sore eyes.

DSC07795.thumb.JPG.10c717f1fb2300155ed77

Looks like the filters are doing their job so far :)

DSC07796.thumb.JPG.118a2e3a704db5784cbd4

First picture of the opened machine. Also pictured is me, staring into the abyss of dustland, while removing a dustfilter

DSC07802.thumb.JPG.9893c29f172a57cd9c8f7

Presents from the machinegods

DSC07807.thumb.JPG.d2efd453474c151e8fef9

Everything taken into consideration, this could be much, much worse. I am a happy man overall. 

DSC07809.thumb.JPG.0eaeb69a38ec047fe66ee

PSU and PSU Filters is a godsend - this is why they;re so important!

DSC07817.thumb.JPG.9cadf2e4cd409f49552fd

DSC07815.thumb.JPG.6a680a02d03dfcd3f1bf5

Looks like some of the grease from the fans ball-bearings have been leaking, which caused this incredibly resilient dust to accumulate 

DSC07813.JPG

Ew

DSC07821.thumb.JPG.5944e66ff27437a613cce

I am not satisfied with the result of my "cleaning" but in the timeframe this was the best I could do. 

DSC07822.thumb.JPG.eb230daa515b88f2f6a5e

Here I have removed the stock heatsink, and installed the Freezer13, that was donated by Arctic. I sure hope he will like the newfound silence :):)

DSC07829.thumb.JPG.adba3c7c1b039b5fa307d

I don't have any pictures of the inital backpanel. Partly because it was not interesting, partly because I forgot. DSC07838.thumb.JPG.05e416d6fbc1cbe57b95f

New cablemanagement is alright. Not my best work, but OK, considering the non-modular PSU. This is the next on the upgrade list!

Here is the new and improved front side :)

DSC07839.thumb.JPG.eabdfe37d36fe389ef1c6DSC07840.thumb.JPG.d261ecf020134fe61f273

Thank you! :) 

He got the rig back and was overly happy with how it turned out. I Could not feel more successful!

Just now, mikat said:

did you get that cooler for free from arctic? :o

I am working on this project, that will feature much more gear from Arctic. I highly suggest following it, if you wish to see how that turns out!

19 minutes ago, Ottetal said:

I am working on this project, that will feature much more gear from Arctic. I highly suggest following it, if you wish to see how that turns out!

looking good :D

but did you just email arctic about these cool projects and they gave you free stuff?

and btw: you are a very talented weather forecast man xD

On 2/28/2016 at 11:04 PM, mikat said:

looking good :D

but did you just email arctic about these cool projects and they gave you free stuff?

and btw: you are a very talented weather forecast man xD

The new video that just launched on Vessel gives you a great insight in how this works :)

Thank you, I enjoy reading the weather for Dutch people, just as much as everyone else does!

2 hours ago, Ottetal said:

The new video that just launched on Vessel gives you a great insight in how this works :)

Thank you, I enjoy reading the weather for Dutch people, just as much as everyone else does!

The weather forecast for today is:

rain

rain, friggin cold

rain, friggin cold

rain

rain

no rain, but friggin cold

and i saw that vessel video :)

but did you just email them about all these great projects that you could do with their products and that you will show off these projects?