Mother's laptop is quite slow, not sure why...

Hey,

Not too long ago my mother bought an HP laptop and it's been quite slow.

Here are its specs:

• CPU: AMD A4-5000
  • RAM: 4GB Single Channel DDR3-665
  • MOBO: HP 8133 
  • HDD: 456GB Hitachi 
  • probably a little bit more stuff idk

Is there a problem with having Windows 10 on an HDD? Or might there be an entirely different problem?

Intel Core i7-7700K | Noctua NH-D15 | ASRock Z170 Pro4 | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-3000 | Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB NVMe M.2 | Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC RTX 2060 Super 8GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 | Corsair Obsidian 750D | TP-Link Archer T4E | DeepCool FH-04

Yet to acquire... Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 5400RPM | 2x Silicon Power A55 2TB | 2x Simplecom SC501 | ICY BOX IB-863-A

i suspect malwares

download malwarebytes and scan the PC for malware

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

check the task manager for any unknown programs

you can take a screenshot and paste here

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Just now, dragoon20005 said:

i suspect malwares

download malwarebytes and scan the PC for malware

She hasn't been using it that much, but I'll get malwarebytes and scan anyway. 

Intel Core i7-7700K | Noctua NH-D15 | ASRock Z170 Pro4 | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-3000 | Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB NVMe M.2 | Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC RTX 2060 Super 8GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 | Corsair Obsidian 750D | TP-Link Archer T4E | DeepCool FH-04

Yet to acquire... Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 5400RPM | 2x Silicon Power A55 2TB | 2x Simplecom SC501 | ICY BOX IB-863-A

Mechanical hard drives should be banned from being OS drives, they are only good for storing your games now

Get a cheap 128 or 256gb SSD. Does your mother really need 500gb space?

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

There is a number of reasons why the computer could be slow.

• The HDD could be dying.
  • It could broken have a windows install
  • It maybe infected with virus'
  • The startup folder and startup maybe filled with lots of stuff that shouldn't be turned on
  • It could be an underpower for what it is required to do.
  • The HDD could also be fragmented.

I'd look what is in the startup folder (remove everything from there) and what is enabled in the start up tab in Task manager (disable everything), run malwarebytes, then CCleaner. After that defrag the HDD.

1 minute ago, Kirky2k15 said:

Mechanical hard drives should be banned from being OS drives, they are only good for storing your games now

Get a cheap 128 or 256gb SSD. Does your mother really need 500gb space?

Don't think she needs that much space, honestly, but I'll consider buying her a 120-240GB SSD sometime.

2 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

• The startup folder and startup maybe filled with lots of stuff that shouldn't be turned on

I'd look what is in the startup folder (remove everything from there) and what is enabled in the start up tab in Task manager (disable everything), run malwarebytes, then CCleaner. After that defrag the HDD.

I doubt the HDD could be dying as it's about 2 months from purchase, but I'll see if any of the criteria match 

Just now, natalieisabutt said:

I doubt the HDD could be dying as it's about 2 months from purchase, but I'll see if any of the criteria match 

I don't think it is either, I just wrote everything that comes to mind and what you need to test if you have a slow PC.

7 minutes ago, Paralectic said:

HDDs are slow, that's it.

True.

15 minutes ago, natalieisabutt said:

True.

check you task manager memory usage

memory leak would make the most sense

23 minutes ago, natalieisabutt said:

Don't think she needs that much space, honestly, but I'll consider buying her a 120-240GB SSD sometime.

Do it! Buy the SSD. You can use it to check the following criteria listed by Comic_Sans_MS.

23 minutes ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

If she doesn't use the disc drive you could always do what I did. I installed a 128gb ssd in the original hdd location and bought a hard drive caddy that fits where the disc drive is. I now have 2 hard drives in my laptop. The 128gb ssd for the OS and most used programs and the 750gb hdd for storage. 

HP Omen 15,i7-8750h,16gb ddr4,256gb nvme,1tb 860evo,GTX1060 6gb. Hp case,i3-4130@3.40ghz,hp ipm87-mp motherboard, Evga gtx1050ti sc 4gb, 128gb sandisk ssd os, 1tb 860 evo storage,2tb external hard drive,2- 128gb flash drives,520w psu,Windows 10,42" monitor,2- 8gb sticks corsair vengeance pro ddr3 1866mhz ram.

It started out as a shitty prefab. Still shitty but better now. Lol.