Headphones or Speakers?

Johnmakuta

I have a pair of Sennheiser RF175's and they become uncomfortable after about 45 minutes. I have really large ears and a large head. I find over ear headphones to be the most comfortable. I also have a motherboard with a 6.3 mm audio jack so I'd like a pair that can take advantage of that. I have noticed that the Kanto YU2 and AKG K265 Tiesto's are on massdrop. I am trying to decide between getting another pair of headphones that will be more comfortable or just invest in some nice speakers. Please take into consideration I do live with people that don't agree in music tastes, game tastes, or pretty much anything else that will come out of these things so I am trying to stay away from speakers for obvious reasons. I am definitely ok with getting them if there's no other way of ensuring a comfortable experience but I would like to look at more comfortable, headphones that won't feel painful after an hour. I have considered audiophile-grade earbuds, would you suggest any? Please just give me your 2 cents.

Have you tried openback headphones before? They're not going to create as loud of a noise as speakers will and I find them more breathable and dynamic compared to what you currently have. 

If you use speakers the most get new speakers, if you use headphones the most get headphones.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

If you can afford them, I recommend the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro. Hands down the best headphones I have ever used, for general listening and for monitoring highres audio. They are very comfortable - have used them for hours on end - and have not encountered any sound leakage at normal listening levels.

Hope this helps.

Depending on your budget, there are some VERY comfortable headphones that you can buy (actually beats are comfortable BUT SOUND LIKE SHIT)

1 hour ago, MashiroShiina said:

Depending on your budget, there are some VERY comfortable headphones that you can buy (actually beats are comfortable BUT SOUND LIKE SHIT)

Beats can sound excellent or terrible. Sound is ultimately about personal preference, if someone enjoys his pair of Beats very much, there is really no reason to get a new pair of headphones IMO. My $0.02

OP, if you want some headphones, ATH-MSR7s are comfy and they do not leak sound out.

Alternatively, you could go for the DT770 for more bass. Get the 32 ohm version if you need your headphones for portable use.

You could also go to the stickied thread for recommendations for your budget.

5 hours ago, seduce_me said:

Beats can sound excellent or terrible. Sound is ultimately about personal preference, if someone enjoys his pair of Beats very much, there is really no reason to get a new pair of headphones IMO. My $0.02

OP, if you want some headphones, ATH-MSR7s are comfy and they do not leak sound out.

Alternatively, you could go for the DT770 for more bass. Get the 32 ohm version if you need your headphones for portable use.

You could also go to the stickied thread for recommendations for your budget.

Ohm is not all their is to it. The thing that determens if a headphones is easy to drive or not, are how effective they are. So you can have 600 ohm headphones that is really easy to drive, but you could also have 32 ohm that is really hard to drive.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I much prefer speakers. The sound just feels so much more natural from speakers IMO. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

10 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Ohm is not all their is to it. The thing that determens if a headphones is easy to drive or not, are how effective they are. So you can have 600 ohm headphones that is really easy to drive, but you could also have 32 ohm that is really hard to drive.

I think you meant to say efficient instead of effective. :P

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

10 hours ago, fishymamba said:

I much prefer speakers. The sound just feels so much more natural from speakers IMO. 

Yeah ups xD 

If I didn't play games or if I could listen to music/movies as loud as I want all the time I might go with speakers, but since this is not the case I need good headphones.

The SHP9500 are very comfortable for large and hot heads.